Sue | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: Baltic Porter

The south is famous for smoking everything. Why not beer? Sue is a big, rich, smoky malt bomb of a beer, with mellow smokiness coming from barley malts smoked with cherry wood, and assertive bitterness from Galena and Perle hops to cleanse the finish.

Original tap version was 7.5% ABV, bottled version is up to 9%.

Added by ckeegan04 on 07-29-2009

4.76/5  rDev +15%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

4.1/5  rDev -1%

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours black with a nice khaki head. Aroma offers a nice balance of smoke, roastiness, chocolate. coffee and toffee with a touch of grassy/earthy hops in the finish. Flavor follows suit. A creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, I am starting to enjoy a balanced smokey beer and this has been one of the best examples of a smokey beer I have tried. Good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.19/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was my first, in what I consider, true venture into the world of "craft" beer. WOW! I cannot even begin to explain the explosion of taste that hit my mouth. Right off the bat, the intense flavor of dark chocolate that fills the palate can only be akin to the finest dark's that I have had the pleasure of sampling and baking with. Next is little hints of all kinds of flavors from licorice to cherrys and then some that I wasn't too sure about... so that will be left up to you to decide; however, they are all wrapped nicely in a wonderfully creamy body that I liken to liquid silk. Lastly, the boldness of the smoked flavor that would rival ANY fine cigar rolls over the palate like a cleansing rinse. Amazingly, there are no cloying attributes that one would figure would go with such intensity. As would stand to reason, as it got slightly warmer, it fullness of the flavors completely woke up forcing me to turn off the boobtube, dim the lights, and throw on some Monk. It is a perfect size in portion so that as you come closer to the end of the bottle, the better the experience without over staying its welcome. I have added a few more beers to my "craft" experience, but unfortunately... I feel that all I have done was try to chase the experience I've had with Yazoo Brewing Company's Sue. I heartily encourage this beer to anyone looking for a GREAT craft beer, but be forewarned... it has a habit of spoiling the taste-buds!

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Basically black. Poured a thick 3 finger head that lingered for a while. Super sticky lacing.

S- Chocolate, roast, dark fruit, earthy hop, and a touch of coffee. Muted compared to other categories.

T- Deeply complex. Many characteristics shifted in and out, changed with each sip, and varied as the temperature changed. There were multiple forms of chocolate (dark, milk, baker's), toffee, licorice, coffee, dark cherry, wood, leather, smoke, earthy hop, grapefruit, citrus rind, and spice. Virtually no trace of alcohol. As it warmed to room temp, the spiciness almost seemed minty. I specifically remember how the finish would bring a rush of grapefruit that almost swirled itself into a creamy chocolate flavor that faded into a minty like burn. At the time, I didn't have a way to document what was happening in detail, so I just tried to remember what I could.

M- Creamy, almost oily. Heavier side of medium body, but somehow easy going down. Drying, with nice subtle spice.

O- I was blown away by Sue. Its darkness, aroma, complexity, and thickness were much more Imperial Stout than American Porter to me, yet it was somehow easy drinking. One of the best Porters I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%