Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Project #22 | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

We first-wort-hopped it with Ahtanum, then Galena at 30 minutes, Amarillo at 5 minutes, and dry-hopped with Zeus and Amarillo.
Even though it is promoted as a bittering hop because of its high alpha-acids, I'm loving Zeus as a late or dry hop. It's pungent, bright, and earthy. The bitterness on this one is just right - not harsh up front but long and lingering.

Added by Misfit138 on 11-07-2009

Reviews by Misfit138:
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

The "Return of the Fresh Hop"

Poured from growler into pint glass

A- Nice deep orange color with a nice inch head

S- Sweet malt with hints of grapefruit

T- Initial sweet malt followed with pine and grapefruit

M- Medium bodied with mild carbonation

D- Probably my least favorite of the hop projects that I have had. It's just not as tasty as some, like #21 which was awesome. I don't care for the piney flavor this one has.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle purchased at El Rey in Montgomery, AL.

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pine and citrus hops with a good deal of pale malt serving as the backbone.

Tastes good. Smooth pale malt flavors are quickly overtaken by hop flavors - mostly pine but with a good deal of citrus - that carry through to a solidly bitter and clean ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my bottle quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I was very impressed with my first offering from Yazoo. A nicely done IPA - well worth a shot.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The pour was perfect, no other way to put it. Rich amber in color with a light copper touch to it. Perfect head rises up to about an inch and a half and never really settles down below that level. Sticky lace all over this thing, just dripping down the sides of the glass. Pungent orange and citrus notes just rip through the air. Intense pineapple and some subtle sweet biscuit like notes as it warms. Just fresh, crisp, resin filled goodness. As I take a sip, wave after wave of crushing fresh hops just collide on my tongue, remarkable. Lots of ornage with a light biscuit like flavor mid palate before a sticky, dry hoppy finish just wins me over. Insanely drinkable, almost too drinkable as it went down like candy.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Label marked 3rd week of October 2009. This is my second Hop Project offering from Yazoo and it's a good one. These babies are delicious and I can't wait to try more. C'mon Yazoo, pick a great one like hop project 19 and make it year round. Okay now thats off my chest on to the review: It's malty, citrusy, and hoppy with an earthy undertone. What more could an IPA lover want? Not quite a well done as HP19 but who's complaining? Get em' while you can and Yazoo keep um' coming.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled on the 3rd week of October and the blog says its 22 so here it goes...

The appearance of this brew is much like that of others of its kind... Clear, golden, small head, good lacing...

The aromas on this are unusual but they quickly grow on me...there's an unusually piney earthy kick to this that I'm digging.. Its like a wet pine nranch that you just picked up off of the ground and shaken the dew off of.. Its earthy and piney and I like it...

Immediately I'm assaulted by that piney bitterness I was getting in the smell.. Its assertive and tasty... Man, Linus is starting to perfect these damn things... They're all different and yet delicious...

The malts follow the piney rush to take the edge off but there's something about this hop variety that seems really earthy and vibrant..

Well, I really liked this brew a lot... Its much different than the others but it has a character about it that I like a lot...

Another winner from this terrific local brewery...

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

a - poured a three-fingers thick tan head into a tumbler. the head was very thick and left a sticky lace throughout.
s - tons of citrus and pine hop aromas.
t - same as above with a slight maltiness. a punch to the taste buds.
m - sticky, i think it's forming with the enamel on my teeth.
d - really good beer a hoppy one to be sure.

Hop Project #22 from Yazoo Brewing Company