Hop Project #41 | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by brentk56 on 01-19-2011

Reviews by StoneTSR:
3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

Found this on tap at the Broadway Brewhouse in Nashville.

APPEARANCE: A brilliant, quarter-inch thick white head rested on top of a slightly opaque, deep copper beer. It looked very rich and the lacing was very impressive with a ton of glass coverage all the way around except for the side I was drinking from.

SMELL: A bit of hops, but not much of a nose.

TASTE: Wow, this is a strongly hoppy beer. It punches you in the face with hops right away and maintains its bitterness for the whole ride down. A grassy and herb flavor lingers in the background along with something that I can't quite put my finger on that reminds me of mint, but it isn't.

MOUTHFEEL: Dry and wonderfully palate scraping. This is a very well carbonated beer on tap with a ton of sparkle, however it still goes down very easy. It was making me want to gulp it down...so I did...and it was good.

OVERALL: My first night in Nashville I had a bartender tell me that Yazoo was ok, but not all thy great. So I waited until I could find a Hop Project to spend my money and time on them. I ended up very impressed. This was a strong and excellent example of what an IPA should taste like. It's bold and aggressive and does not try to sugarcoat the hops. Will certainly try this one again and look forward to trying a few more Yazoo brews out before leaving Nashville.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a three finger head that leaves copious amounts of lace

Smell: Herbaciously pithy, with mint and Thai basil wafting atop the caramel base

Taste: Toffee malt, up front, that is quickly joined by the hop bill that marries tangerine and pith with an Asian herbal character that lingers, after the swallow; just a touch of residual sweetness in the finish, though the hops provide a harshness that hangs around for quite some time

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Hopped with a combination of Warrior, Columbus, and Galena, with all Warrior for dryhopping, this beer has a unique hop profile; at first I wasn't sure I cared for it, but it grew on me considerably by mid-bottle

3.69/5  rDev -4.2%

A 12 oz. twist-capped bottle from the ongoing 'Hop Project' series; notched squarely on Month 'Dec' and somewhere between Week '3' and '4'. Poured to a pint glass; one of two bottles sent by the biggest UMich Wolverine and Nashville Predator fan I know: bluepred ~ thanks, Mark!

From the Yazoo blog, 12/15/2010: "Hop Project #41 bottled 3rd week December... For this beauty, we used a lot of Warrior, Columbus, and Galena, with all Warrior for dryhopping. Bottled 3rd week Dec."

A: Pours a lovely, warm chestnut-amber, mildly hazy and cut by a fairly sparse amount of wriggling carbonation. Head is terrific: a full two fingers of pillowy light tan froth, that holds up pretty well. It subsides in under five minutes, but its gift is gorgeous cobwebbing lace in broad ringing swaths.

S: Muted from the bottle (after 15-20 minutes spent warming on the counter), muted in the middle, still kinda muted at the finish. Maybe I'm too used to big/bold West Coast IPA aromas, but this one stayed subtle throughout. Dark bread dough, a crusty/malty toastiness seems to overshadow.

T: Right away a dry pale/biscuit malt flavor, but one that's soon chased off by spicy and grassy/herbal greenness. Fills out and ends with plenty of pithy bitterness, grapefruit/citrus rind. Hop oils really play a part here, clinging relentlessly.

M: An understated creaminess with lasting spicy zest; carbonation is modest, malt stickiness lingers. Saliva-inducing dryness and draping bitterness tugging at the cheeks and settling firmly on the tongue. Medium body, drawn-out finish.

D: Likable and easy to drink, albeit nothing revolutionary on my palate. Everything (minus the aroma) is solid here. If I'm guessing, this is 6.0-6.5% range, ABV-wise. Bitterness does grow a little heavy and my personal tastes differ from those, so slightly diminished drinkability score follows. Reminds me a little of Terminal Gravity's very good IPA (though less cloudy)... a worthy 'Project' entry that I'd drink again if given the chance (but given the rapid turnaround of these Hop Project beers - a new one every few weeks - I'm afraid this is it for my chances).

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured an orange/amber with half finger white head and decent lacing.

The smell is very sweet or citrus and almost a lemon zest to it.

The taste is very bitter with the lemon almost sourness coming through on the back for a second along with some malt. The malt taste fades quickly as your mouth is over powered by pure bitter.

Not a bad brew overall and the concept of Hop Project seems pretty cool to me.

Hop Project #41 from Yazoo Brewing Company