Gerst Amber | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: Altbier

Check out a piece of Nashville brewing history! Gerst Brewery was the original Nashville brewery, but never recovered after prohibition. We are excited to partner with the Chandler Family, owners of the Gerst Haus Restaurant, to bring this beer back right where it belongs – Nashville, Tennessee.

This is a very “clean” beer, with mostly German malts and a hint of flaked maize, remaining as true as possible to the original Gerst recipe.

11 IBUs

Added by sommersb on 03-25-2011

4.26/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle, it pours a darkish amber with a small head, quickly reducing to a ring. A bit of malt in the nose. The same goes for the mouth - malt in the mouth, with a slight touch of bitterness - as an amber should.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Nice amber color with a good malty smell to it. the first taste is of malts then a bit of bitterness, but not too much. A very smooth taste that a nice surprise. I would say a very nice not to fancy beer for your enjoyment.

3.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Bright amber gold with light tan cap and moderate lacing

Aroma: Nice touches of toffee, caramely malt with little hop presence.

Taste: Good rich flavor here, nicely rounded with a hint of sweetness and hops playing a very diminished role. Darker malt flavor is evident without any roasted malt bitterness.

Texture: Medium.

Overall: An Amber Ale worthy of the name in color, flavor, texture and taste. No, I'm not saying flavor and taste can't be the same thing, rather here we have several flavor threads creating a fairly complex taste. I don't know why the same brewery makes Dos Perros and Gerst as both have a similar appeal and this one is clearly the winner of the two.

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A really solid amber ale that I enjoyed much more than I expected to. No real complexity to speak of, as the palate and aroma were pretty straightforward, but the balance of hops and malt was really on-point.

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark copper in color with a lightly cloudy complexion. There's a fingernail of brilliant white resting on top. Aroma is of bready to coppery malt. I taste plenty of sourdough malt. The mouth is very smooth, crisp, and refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

2.84/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

L- Poured semi-aggressively from a 12oz bottle into a large perfect pint glass. One finger of head quickly dissipated leaving only a small layer on top of the slightly opaque amber brew. Very pleasing color, but left little to no lacing as I enjoyed.

N- Slight nutty aroma. Not an extremely powerful scent, but that is possibly operator error given that I smoke cigarettes. (they pair very well with any style of beer)

T- Slightly sweet and nutty initially. Then a bitter/sour flavor presents itself after a few seconds. Not the worst tasting beer I've ever had and not the best, **BUT** I personally enjoy stouts and porters so take that into consideration.

F- Crisp and vivid mouthfeel. Medium bodied. In my opinion, the best part of this beer. (Other than the alcohol of course)

O- I was born and raised in Tennessee and Yazoo first caught my attention with Dos Perros, which I loved. Time after time, people told me to try Gerst, so I finally grabbed one in a pick 6. It may have possibly been over-hyped for me, but I think Yazoo has better beers. However, several of my friends disagree. If you get the chance, grab one and see what you think, because whether you like the beer or not, you're still drinking a beer. Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

3.67/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

A really easy-going beer and one of my early favorites, the Gerst would probably be my earliest recommendation for someone in Nashville looking to begin drinking beer for the first time. I would say it's responsible for keeping me interested in beer when I first started. It feels rich but smooth. It has a real classic look to it and the malty taste is really quite great. I would file it under the "dessert beers" category.

3.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Gerst Amber from Yazoo Brewing Company