Toña Cerveza | Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua

ccn.com.ni

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Imbiber on 02-16-2004

4.58/5  rDev +68.4%

This is one of the best tasting central American lagers I have tasted. It pours up to make a beautiful white head, and when one pours it straight into a pint glass, the bubbling action releases one of the cleanest smells I have experienced in a brew. The odor of malt combines with subtle adjuncts to provide an interesting smell that invites one to "breathe the beer" as they drink. It has a very even light straw color, the lightness of which belies the bite one gets after having two or three of these. Its drinkability is exceptional. It is, overall, an excellent session beer. Mouthfeel is very nonobtrusive -- once the beer leaves the palate, the mouth is clean, wanting more of this fine brew. Those who would fault it because it is clean, clear, and light just do not get it. This is Nicaraguan cerveza -- people of Aztec descent live in hot climes and have had corn as a staple for centuries. Hence, they have historically made the best beers to refresh and throw off the heat. Heck, if I want ale, I summon the Brits -- that's their specialty -- they get cold and want heavy stuff, and that is fine -- that's their heritage! I'd put this humble beer in the same bracket as Carta Blanca. Drink it ice cold, and you'll never again drink an American macrobrew.

4.5/5  rDev +65.4%

4.4/5  rDev +61.8%

Aroma - a strong lager yeast aroma was apparent after pouring Tona into a glass, the aroma had a faint maltiness also.
Taste - There was a fine balance between the sweet malt and the aromatic hops.
Mouthfeel - The body was consistent with a European Style Lager.
Drinkability - Balanced and refreshing with just the right amount of maltiness for this style.
My over all impression was very favorable so I contacted the friend that gave me the 6 pack and asked him about the beer. He knew the importer so he gave me his name and I contacted him with my thoughts. He felt it was appropriate to ask the brewmaster and so I exchanged e-mails with him, Rudiger Adelmann.

My impressions were that the beer was brewed with less adjunct grain and it was probably rice and more two-row than six-row barley malt. The brewer informed me that he uses only two-row barley and only 30% of the mash is rice in comparison to 40% being the average American Lager with adjunct grain.

I wanted to make sure the sweetness didn't come from DMS so I asked him about that and he responded that his level is about 30-50 ppb which places it at the bottom or below American Lager levels. They are the third brewery in the world to install a new wort boiling sytem called "Stromboli" from the German company Krones-Steinecker which is designed to get rid of undesired off flavors like DMS during wort boiling.

I love this beer...viva la Tona!

4.37/5  rDev +60.7%

I decided to give this beer another try after a previous sub-par tasting and I am very, very glad I did.

Somehow Toña has become one of the tastiest adjunct lagers I've ever tasted.

A nice balance of toasty malt and hops. Dry start and sweeter finish.

4.3/5  rDev +58.1%

I have to admit that I was pretty much blown away by this Nicaraguan offering. I had never seen it in the market before, and I just sort of stumbled on it while shopping at an HEB one afternoon. The bottle looked cool, and it had a shelf-talker from one of the store clerks recommending it, so I took the chance and picked up a sixer. Damn glad I did, too, as this surprising beer was actually quite excellent.

The beer pours quite well, with a pillowy head and a clear complexion. The nose was sweet and malty.

The taste was flat-out great. Very smooth and relaxed, a slight crackery tone to the malts and an excellent balance from the hops. I was very impresed with how tight this beer was. It's basically a Nicaraguan macro, but it's just miles ahead of most of it's domestic competition. Although the smell had some sweetness, it wasn't readily apparent in the flavor profile.

The mouthfeel was good, the finish just as good as the first taste. VERY drinkable. I'll definitely pick this one up again, especially in the warmer months. This beer could easily go toe-to-toe with most of the US macros and win handily. Note that my rating is high based on that criteria. For a macro lager, it doesn't get much better than this.

4.25/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

IT is a way of call a Woman named Antonia in spanish way, like a friendly way, like Bill for William. OR Pancho for Francisco. The beer is quite great, a little dark, but not enough to be a Vienna, it is perhap a semi dark lager. IT is drank by young people at parties. BUt the flavor is good, not at all a crappy lager.

3.82/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +39.7%

Tona Cerveza has a medium, frothy, white head, and a clear, straw appearance. Carbonation is high, and lacing is minimal. Aroma is of tosted barley, and that is the essential smell I picked up. The taste is an interesting mix of sweetness, barley, citrus, and maybe some other grain, with almost no hop bitterness. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Tona finishes refreshing and not as dry as American lagers. Overall, I found this to be a surprisingly different-tasting beer. I enjoyed it and recommend others give it a try.

RJT

3.8/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Better than your American average and this ain't no Corona. No long review, but an epitome of the style. Try it!

3.8/5  rDev +39.7%

This was a suprising beer. Sure, the bottle looked "classy", but as you all know, looks aren't everything in the world of beer. Very well balanced malts and hops. I would drink this over most any other American Macro anytime. The smell and taste kind of had a very light smokey vibe going on. Overall a nice beer, especially for the summer.

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

3.68/5  rDev +35.3%

Very pale, light clean looking lager with white head that totally disappears leaving no lace.

Smells as clean as it looks, little malt and a little corn.

I love the taste of this lager. It's definitely light and a bit metallically but quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel is also light and watery and well carbonated.

Typically I drink dark or heavy beers but then again I do live in South Florida so sometimes you need something to quench your thirst and that's what this beer does. I know most people get down on this style but when it's 95 degrees and your cutting the grass in 100% humidity a stout won't do. I love a lot of Mexico/Central America/South America/Caribbean beers for this reason, it's just a good summer brew that beats the big American macro brew out there.

3.57/5  rDev +31.3%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild and slightly sweet. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. This is a good hot weather beer and overall not a bad choice.

3.53/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

compared to macro lagers from other developing countries, i think this is way ahead of the curve. its crisp and easy drinking without hardly any of the adjunct and metallic flavors so many of them have, and just as good, its not watery at all, in fact bringing quite a bit more body to the table than most of these do, without sacrificing capacity for refreshment, it just feels more like a beer, and i dug it with some quality mexican food last night! golden colored in the glass without much head, but the flavor is good. lots of pale malt in here, i dont get the corny sweetness that is common in these, and i can actually taste the lager yeast a little bit, despite the beer being refined and cleaned up to a pretty high degree. good carbonation on it, more than i would have guessed from the appearance, and a light bitterness at the end. its not much different from a lot of others overall, but it seems an improvement in several subtle ways for me, and this is one i would be happy to drink again, especially in the mexican/latin american food context. pretty sure this was my first beer from nicaragua too!

3.47/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will say the same as everyone else. Pale, pale, pale. This beer is quite appealing, given the economical situation of this country. It's not the best in the world, but one of the best in central america. The scent of corn is strong enough to recognize fairly quickly. The taste of corn and slight hops is what gives this plain beer a somewhat exciting taste and puts it above the other central america beers you will see in Nicaraguan bars.

3.43/5  rDev +26.1%

Bottle poured into a glass.

A- Meh. Goldish. Light bubbles. Light 1 finger head that disappeared fast. Nothing awesome.

S- Nothing special. Smelled like a watered down somthing.

T- Real easy to drink. No hiccups. Carbonation was good. I dont know this was just easy to drink. Probably one of the lightest beers I have drank. This got some points I guess on drinkablility.

M- Very thin, bubbly to the tongue. It was okay but it wasnt great either.

D- Without a doubt. The only real good thing on this review. I could drink a 12 pack of these. Not a problem. But at $8 a six pack, Ill pass.

Its good to try if its on sale and your going to a BBQ or a get together. Not somthing Id waste another $8 on though.

Meh I say.

3.41/5  rDev +25.4%

Pours a very light yellow color with a crackling white head that actually does'nt fade in an instant. Some lacing is evident as well.

Has a pretty typical Latin lager nose on it, sweet malt and rice and a bit like the lime has already been added. Very light and hard to discern much else.

Taste is not too shabby. It is very light and crisp, but there are not really any blaring off flavors. Decently balanced and plenty refreshing. As an adjunct lager, this rates fairly high for me. If I was on a beach in Nicaragua, this would do just fine.

3.4/5  rDev +25%

It is a nice pale gold color. There is not much for head and there is just a little more lace. This lace disappears as you move the beer around in the glass. It smells like lager but not as adjunct. It has very light beer. I could taste the malt and the hops. It is not as watered down as a lot of the beers I have tried from Central America. It has fizzy mouthfeel and I thought it was very drinkable.

Toña Cerveza from Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua