Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Estes Park Renegade | Estes Park Brewery

epbrewery.net

Style: American IPA

Added by Mitchster on 02-27-2002

3.39/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours with quite a bit of yeasty sediment. Completely cloudy and a rather dark color, for an IPA. Be careful to pour gently if you don't like such a thing. Looks like dark apple cider with whitish floaties. I personally don't mind, but it was unexpected. As it settles in the glass, there's a substantial layer of whitish yeast settled at the bottom, like a really old unfiltered barleywine. I don't mind cloudiness, but this is a bit off-putting. Like a brown snow globe. A thin collar of head sticks around, leaving some spotty foam clinging to the glass, but not much.

Hops are foremost in the aroma. Earthy and pungent, with a wee bit of chocolate to the malt. Some fruit esters, coming off like juicyfruit gum. Definitely some dough character from the yeast. I like the hop aroma. It reminds me of a good homebrew.

The flavor opens with sweet caramel malt and a good bit of estery fruit. Doughy yeast and pear, full bodied, moving easily into earthy, piney hop bitterness. Hop forward, but well balanced. Certainly not a west coast IPA. The darker malt flavor and woodsy hops give this one a definite east coast feel.

This beer seems more like a well made homebrew than a professional production beer. Maybe it's the 1/8 inch of sediment sitting at the bottom of each bottle, the flavor, or a combination of the two. Either way, it's pretty enjoyable and reminiscent of an east coast IPA. I just wish I could bring myself to drink the last couple cloudy sips.

2.24/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured out of bottle into pint glass. Color of maple syrup, no head outside of a few bubbles on the top. Smells nice and hoppy though. Tastes of bitter hops. Grassy. A little too grassy. Not enough zest or carbonation. Not lively enough. Wouldn't buy again.

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a clear dark orange with less than a finger of barely off-white head that dissolves fairly fast at first, but then leaves a pen line of film over the top for the remander of the experience. A ton of lacing left all over the glass. Smells of pine and citrus grapefruit in the nose. Mouthfeel is a little light as well as the carbination level. The ligher mouthfeel and carb level makes this one heck of an easy one to drink. The taste upfront and finish is of course hop bitterness but there is also a minor malty sweetness in there as well. The bitterness in the finish is more of a mild oil-like finish as opposed to some others that really layer the inside of the mouth. A nice example of the style, but considering the bold advertisement of a gold winner in the IPA category, I was expecting to be totally blown away by this.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Ok, so this has a flashy star (eh, no lights) on the front label that says 1993 GABF gold medal winner. That's great. Yet it was 16 years ago. Perhaps stick it on the back label or something.

Anywho, a murky golden pour, slightly amber. A medium head, off white. Thin looking. Good swirl brings it back, but just doesn't have the body I'd like to see.
Average aroma. Some malt, some hops. A bit musky and citrus. I'm thinking this taste won't be all that good....but,
It's not bad, really. This is a good IPA. Traditional, I'd say...like I know what that means. But it's not overbearing, and the malt gives it a good backbone. Makes it a smooth IPA. No real bite to it, but a lingering dryness is pleasant.
I drank 3 of these without knowing it. That's a 5 for me.

3.71/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked up this bottle because it won some gold medal or another. Into my glass the beer poured out a slightly hazy copper color with a tan head two fingers thick. Great retention as a thin cap and nice lacing. The aroma was very hoppy, grapefruit and orange zest with a tiny amount of malt behind that. The flavors started with a flash of caramel malt followed immediately by the citrus and floral hops .Hints of pine in there too. Grapefruit dominated and didn't leave much room for anything else going all the way to the finish. The body was medium and the carbonation perfect. A very easy drinking beer but it also struck me as rather one dimensional.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

The beer Pours a cloudy, brown-yellow color. Had a great, egg-white head that held extremely well.

The smell is mild with the strongest scent being lemon. It was not nearly as hoppy as I expected.

It is a light-bodied beer with a strong lemon taste. It was much smoother than I expected. The assistant brewer told me they use Cascade hops for the flavor instead of the smell of the beer. In my opinion, I thought the lemon was a little too much.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

As I pour this one it builds up a big pillowy head, almost like a glass of root beer and it holds on well. The color reminds me of Kraft caramels, which we will revisit.

The aroma is citrus and grapefruit rind.

The taste is bitterness all upfront and then a burnt caramel maltiness in the middle, which is a curiosity but not a distraction.

The body is nice and gives it a pleasant mouthfeel.

A good drinkable beer when you come down from Trailridge Road.

2.03/5  rDev -41.8%

I thought it odd when I noted that this beer was still advertising a GABF win from 1993 (maybe time for a packaging update?), but it did make me curious (and wary that it hadn't won anything more recently) enough to pick up a single at Liquor Mart in Boulder.

It poured a dark amber with a head that seemed to settle upwards much like a Guinness. Aroma was decent...lightly fruity but hardly overpowering. Taste was rather average. Than I noticed a large number of floaties in my beer. This really bothered me - IPAs shouldn't have floaties! This beer wasn't aged, stored in a barrel, or secondary fermented, thus my opinion that floaties are not acceptable. I tried to let them settle-out, but they remained suspended in the liquid. I had a really hard time getting past this, and started to negatively effect my perceptions of this beers taste and mouthfeel, making me believe it was stale, cardboard-y, and weirdly slick.

I'm not a fan. This bottle had no date nor code on it, so I'm left to assume it was brewery-fresh (delivered to Liquor Mart minutes before my arrival) and rate it as such.

3.04/5  rDev -12.9%

A- poured a pretty dark amber/brown color, with medium foam from a light pour which left a film of lace, maybe its just my bottle, but there was actually a bit of particles floating around in it, a little wierd

S- floral hops provide the bulk, slight citrus, slight pine, pretty solid

T- has a pretty light malt flavor at the start, the hops come on pretty slow, give a decent bite, then fade. Theres something a little funny on the lingering taste, not bad, but a little lacking

M- looked pretty effervescent, but was a light carbonation on the tongue, and a pretty light feel for body, but the body was still significant

D- the final taste detracts from the drinkability a bit. a little dissapointing but not that bad, although ill stick to other IPA's in the future

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper body with a white head.

Smell: Hop-forward aroma of citrus, grapefruit. Small measure of caramel hiding in the background.

Taste: Brief caramel malt sweetness before the juicy ruby red grapefruit takes over and carries through into the bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: So yeah, while it's not on the cutting edge of IPAs, it is decent.

3.81/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours amber to copper with a 2 fingers+ tan head. Great head retention & good lacing

Smell: Intense fruittyness & a hint of floral hops

Taste: Big grapefruitty& hints of pine hops up front followed by biscuitty & fruiity notes. Finshes wet & grapefruitty with a slight hint of pepper

MF: Medium bodied with pretty near perfect carbonation, balance skews a little to grapefruit hoppy for me

Drinks pretty easy, but a touch too grapefruitty to session on. Hop heads may see 180 out of phase with my assesment

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Copper bronze body with a ringing of light, faded khaki head. English toffee malt on the nose. Scotch tape and pine needle hop kiss. Accent is on the sweet malt. Sugary, toffeeish malt flavors up front. Resin hop backing burns and turns toward pine and bitter. Some stewed fruit helps out in the finish. Medium, creamy body. Not a bad example of a standard American IPA. Quaffable and I like the coyote on the label.

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Brought a bottle of this home from the Estes Park Brewery. Poured cold from a 12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Poured a cloudy reddish-brown, with a medium off-white head that lingered. Very heavy hops in the aroma (as expected). Mostly bitter notes in there, although with hints of floral. Taste begins with a sweet nuttiness on the front of the tongue, then a heavy bitterness of hops blooms on the center. Very strong, but even, flavor - it really seems to travel in the taste. The flavor is rounded out with the nutty quality. Fairly smooth mouthfeel; low carbonation. Very drinkable beer. The hops offer a lot to taste - although strong, they have character. That makes the beer nice and refreshing. Definitely recommended, especially for IPA fans.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a dark amber color that almost looked brown at first. Had a lingering off-white head and very good lacing thru the entire glass. Although this did not have the usual IPA appearance, the aroma was floral and grapefruit/citrus. Flavor was more citrus, and the finish was smooth, slightly bitter, and very hoppy. I had this IPA while sitting in a hot-tub after a day of rafting down the Royal Gorge. A most enjoyable beer.

2.4/5  rDev -31.2%

Dark orange. Perfect appearence for an IPA, with a strong, full foaming head that lasts. Dulled pine and resin hop aroma with no malt. Sweet, sugary, juicy malts, with excessive bitterness and once again, dulled hop flavors. Really poor finish as well. Light & watery texture.

3.62/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz single, Brennan's on University...my first visit

appearance: pretty sharp bottle i must say...pours a very dark blood red/dark copper color, decent fluffy beige head, frothy lacing

smell: juicy fruit, floral hops, sweet malt profile, a touch of pine, slight bubblegum

taste: somewhat chalky, a very nice sweet malty backbone, and some bubblegum/citrus/pine hop flavors...overall, quite sweet and rather tasty

mouthfeel: full, chalky

drinkability: little above average

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky tea color (much darker than most IPAs) with lots of suspended sediment. There's not much head - it takes a pretty vigorous pour to coax a thin and bubbly light tan head, that quickly goes to a thin collar which leaves some lacing.

The aroma is piney, fruity hops and caramel. It smells somewhat like Hog Heaven, but a little more subdued. Some dough comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet and fruity (slightly sour apple) caramel malts leading to a good sized, lingering bitter hop finish. It is medium bodied and pretty watery.

Overall, a decent IPA. The sourness and watery body bring it down a bit. Still, I think it is one of Estes Park's better offerings. I did like it better on tap at the brewery.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Turbid, dark orange-caramel. This is one of the most turbid, darkest IPAs that I've ever seen. Even the highlights at the bottom of the glass are smoky. Despite a high-altitude pour, I was able to fit the entire bottle into a pint glass thanks to a lack of liveliness on the part of the head. The dense, creamy disk is orange-tinted beige in color and is exceedingly stubborn.

The nose is exactly what I expected given the hop bill of Chinook and Cascade. It smells like spicy, caramel-coated chunks of grapefruit peel. Even though I want more power, I definitely like what it delivers.

The flavor profile doesn't 'wow' me as I'd hoped it would. It tastes like much more Chinook were used than Cascade. That would be fine except for the abundant spiciness. I'm even picking up hints of chocolate malt. Any bright citrusiness that might have been present has been dulled beyond recognition.

Renegade is a significantly bitter beer. The reason, I think, is that there isn't enough malt and there's a boatload of raw, resinous Chinook. The flavor also reminds me of strong, bitter tea. It's a little too uncivilized for its own good, but I appreciate a little anti-social behavior in my IPAs now and then. Would calling this beer a less well-crafted, baby Arrogant Bastard Ale be out of line?

I'm still waiting for the mouthfeel to fill out since the flavor needs a much sturdier vehicle than it has been given. It's a fraction shy of medium when it needs to be half again as big in order to let those hops settle in and get comfortable. The amount of carbonation is on the low side, but then that's how I'd have drawn it up too.

Note to Estes Park Brewery: a gold medal from 1993 isn't impressive in the 'what have you done for me lately?' environment of American craft beer. I still have to give them credit for brewing a no-holds-barred, Chinook-intensive beer that can't possibly have mass appeal. Thanks to BlueMooner for the fast disappearing bottle.

3.04/5  rDev -12.9%

Dark coppery-bronze with some gold-brown as well, this is a very dark IPA. I like it! Soft beige head, at the apex the foam was a half-finger in height. Admirable head retention, it slowly faded to a thin, soapy cap. It is still looking good. The subsequent lacing was widespread and well organized; the residue was a bit droopy/webby but present nevertheless. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. All in all, this beer looks great.

The nose is hot with prickly citrus and piney vibes. Alcoholic too. There is some thin maltiness with a caramel trace. There isn’t much depth; that is a shame. It doesn’t smell much like an IPA to me, it is more like an American Strong Ale sans the malty goodness. Without a doubt this beer smells hoppy but I also worry it will be boozy and lacking in malt. The nose is inviting nevertheless. I remember it smelling better at the brewery…

The palate is good. I sampled this at the brewery and I liked it much better on-tap. I didn’t take any notes so this review is just based on this bottle. Warm upfront and in the middle and, well, the finish too. At least the nose didn’t lie. I wish it did. I like heat and the burn as much as the next but the lack of pure, angry bitterness doesn’t allow the burn to be balanced with a numb tongue. Thin maltiness and once again, the nose didn’t lie. Light toasted caramel notes and not much else. It is lightly fruity with a random kiss of flower here and there. There is flavor but I can’t help but call this beer dull. I also don’t think it is that good of an IPA. It is a hoppy ale of some sort. It was much better on-tap. I assume my bottle is fresh; I purchased it at the brewery.

Medium-light in body with low carbonation, there isn’t much to write home about regarding the mouthfeel. It is thin and lifeless. I guess I found something to write.

At best this is a BBQ beer. It is not tasty enough to be consumed standalone. I am disappointed; I remember a much better beer. Oh well. Drinkable? Sure. But do I really want to drink it again? No. There are much better beers on the market. I purchased this sample as part of a mix six-pack purchased at the brewpub in Estes Park, CO.

3.32/5  rDev -4.9%

A friend brought this back from Colorado for me. It was not what I was expecting but it was still good.

Poured a deep copper with a two finger white head that was shorlived and left some lacing.Oddly there were chunks of sediment in it that marred the appearance but did not adversely affect the taste or smell.

Smell was fruit, floral hops and faint caramel.

Taste was dry acidic citrus with some malt and a grapefruit pith finish.

Light to medium body.

Overall a fair IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -15.2%

This beer has a very strange appearance for an ipa. It's dark brown with big white chunks floating around in it. The aroma is cascade hops and vanilla. Caramel malt flavor is dominated by the cascade hops. Woody in the finish. Quite bitter. The mouthfeel is medium. Not terrible, but there are so many better examples of the style out there, I wouldn't waste time with this one.

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours out to a clear dark caramel, requiring a very hefty pour to achieve a head. The head is beige, small and soapy and quickly recedes to a small scum of bubbles at the edges of the glass with no lacing. Carbonation is mild. Aroma is very nice with a fresh and very fruity hop presence with some degree of citrus and load of vanilla...I've detected his vanilla in their Red Ale as well and wonder if it's the hops or the yeast they are using. There is a strong malt backbone in the aroma with a very nice sweet caramel presence, like chewy caramel candies. Mouthfeel is citric and astringent from both hops and roasted barley, with a medium body. Taste begins with pungent citric and resinous hops, followed by chalk, lightly roasted distant coffee, a very woody and dry finish, and lingering hop aftertaste. The bitterness is moderate, and remains pungent through the finish. Very, very woody and dry...there is more than hop astringency going on here and it curtails it's drinkability. Cleanly fermented with no appreciable off-flavors or preceptable alcohol.

This really smells nice, and starts out with a nice hop flavor, but the woody hop bitterness and barley husk astringency is too much in the finish and ruins it's enjoyment. I would pass on this...towards the bottom of the glass, it starts to taste like campfire ash and cocoa powder.

3.41/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a semi-clear carmel with a nice tan head. Good lace.

The malt and hops mingle in the nose with a nice balance. However, there is not enough of it.

The taste is balanced with roasted malt and fruity hops.

This is a mid bodied beer that has an assertive hop finish. The hops linger in the mouth.

This is a decent beer that is drinkable but not awesome.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

This IPA was very American, I wondered if they dry-hopped cascades. The beer was extremely grapefruity from smell to finish, so much so, that I was convinced I'd gotten my RDA of Vitamin C.

The beer looked nice, ambery-yellow and slightly cloudy with a nice lacy head that lasted.

I too felt the beer could be maltier and more complex though, nevertheless a refreashing beer.

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Okay, I decided to give this one a try since my best supplier had it out. The beer had a amber/deep red color to it and a small light tan head that didn't hold. The small was of hops and the first taste definately smacked of hops, making it a bit tangy. A slight citrus flavor becomes apparent after that. It strikes me as being a little light for an IPA. Would have to agree with the other guy that it falls between and IPA and a Pale Ale. There are better IPAs out there.

Estes Park Renegade from Estes Park Brewery