Vergina

Reviews: 36 | Ratings: 55 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

2.26/5  rDev -21.5%

So there I was, perusing the local beer store tonight, after having failed to secure some Special Edition Yulesmith for a second time in as many days, my eyes wandered, I’m not one to leave a good Beer Store without at least purchasing one new beer.

Nope had that…, and that…, think I’ve tried that…, had that…, hmm not sure all these German bottle beers look the same….maybe next time, had th…..when Bham!! all of a sudden a Vergina leaped right out at me from the Cooler. This has only ever happened once before in a Beer Store, but that’s a story for another time. Intrigued I just had to have an immediate grope. Being your typical male, having a mental age of a 9 year old child and an affectionate fondness for Benny Hill – how could I not resist this one??

Comes (ooh…) in a 12 ounce brown glass bottle. A fancy metallic red v-shaped neck label has the words ‘Vergina Premium Imported Beer’. The main obverse label is a dark metallic blue with gold writing, it says, hmm not sure what it says, it’s all Greek to me. Has a white oval with a gold edge that has the words ‘Brewed in Greece – Finest Malt & Hops’. A red band runs through the middle, with yet more genitalian advertising of the beers name. Has the words 'Premium Quality Vergina", seems they can bottle anything these days. The crown cap has the word ВЕРГІΝA on it; hey I wonder if that is Greek for Vergina? If so, I *must* remember that…..

The reverse label has the usual Government Warning about having too many Verginas before driving and operating machinery, good advice. The back label has, damn!! It has a Best Before Date of 11-11-03, shite I missed that in the store, too busy looking at the front and not paying attention to the back end as usual! Oh well, looks like I got an Out of Date Vergina, Bloody Hell story of my life!!!!

Pours into my Pint Glass a clear golden color with plenty of streamers. The head is decent at first but it soon starts to go Commando and thins out, yet it retains a neatly trimmed and manicured appearance – it always has enough to cover the surface of the beer, just! Some lacing, but not much. Looks OK I guess, very “European Lager” in appearance. This has an incredibly bland nose, smells of sweetness and light malts. Tastes even blander. Sweet and Euro Lager like, it has an inoffensive profile that is nothing bad, just thin, watery and a tad sweet, gets sticky as it warms, hey just like…OK enough double-entendres. Drinkability is one notch below pond water; don’t even try double fisting this one, ooeerrr!

Aaaah, but if dear old Benny Hill was still alive, I’m sure this would appear in one of his sketches. Quite rightly so, because it’s a Joke, but the laughs on me because I bought it, that’ll teach me to grow up – oh maybe not.

So, overall, not much is going for it really, reminiscent of the words that ring in my ear from many a Friday Night out, or in the words of AB, “This Vergina’s not for you”. So Learn from History - Beware of Greeks bearing Vergina’s!!

Anyway, here’s raising my Vergina loud and proud in the face of Political Correctness!! Save this one for the Mediterranean vacation. This beer sucks, but in a nice way. ;-)

Jul 07, 2004
tjd112 from New Jersey

4.04/5  rDev +40.3%

Yes, yes, its a funny name, but I wanted to knock Greece off my list.

Presentation - Poured into Flying Fish Pint Glass

Appearance - Poured a golden color with two finger white head, retention is very good, takes a long time to go down

Smell/Taste - Sweet corn with some malts up front, a little bit of apples

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp

Drinkability/Overall - It's actually a pretty respectable import.

Jun 21, 2010

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sep 13, 2014
Thisdrinkinglife from Switzerland

2.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Review: 500ml can of Beptina Lager Beer: 5% vol.

On pour we get a light yellow coloured beer with a small white head.

Head maintains a little, and there is some lacing present.

Overall its an ok looking beer, not bad.

Aroma is one of light malts, some barley, not strong on the nose.

First impression on the taste is positive. Lovely crisp initial mouthfeel and taste. Nice and cool straight from the fridge, very crisp, nice light lager tastes, very smooth and with mild bitterness.

Very malty for sure. Also getting the fresh grains and some fruit.

Ok, overall it is a bit of a light beer to chug with not much depth to it. No need to think too deeply about this beer.

Goes down easy, with a light finish. Taste is pure grounded malt, Not bad, refreshing with a very lagery taste, does the business as I watch the sun go down on a lovely Corfu beach side setting. Keeping it simple sometimes works.

Feb 28, 2019
ATG94 from Greece

3.29/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Golden clear body, thick head that disperses rather quickly, smell is what you'd expect from a lager, taste is a little bitter and the high carbonation tickles your mouth. Pretty generic by itself and very drinkable, but it really shines if you combine it with traditional greek cuisine

Feb 08, 2015
Ivixor from Greece

3.52/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Jul 26, 2015
mihael199 from Bulgaria

2.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

May 11, 2016
Ppin from England

3.29/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mar 19, 2016
patre_tim from Thailand

3.32/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pale gold and clear filtered with moderate fine bubble carbonation and a finger of white head.

It smells of malts , molasses, and drying hay.

The taste follows the nose.

Light, crisp body, with moderate carbonation.

I bought this one on the coast in Greece, and brought it back to California where I am drinking it on the night of my graduation May 7, 2019.

May 08, 2019
youxtas from Greece

Feb 21, 2021
Robertas from Lithuania

2.88/5  rDev 0%

Jul 18, 2019
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought in Greece, Vergina (much under-rated by the average) I much prefer to this brewery's other pale lager, Hillas.
While Vergina has average Looks (blonde and bubbly) and Smells (sweet malts), its Tastes appeal to my malt-centric palate (with just enough hops to balance.) Vergina is very soft on the mouth, not too bubbly.

I went on this brewery's website and was impressed by their marketing prowess. They claim to be the pioneer in Greece's craft brewing industry and present their case clearly. They seem to experiment a bit, making styles unusual to Greece's mainstream limited portfolio. Between the crafting and the marketing, Macedonian Thrace seems to me to be the Sam Adams of Greece. (That is intended as a compliment within context.)

May 04, 2019
WoodBrew from Ohio

I tried this beer in the city of Athens whilst vacationing in Greece. It poured a clear golden with white head that did not leave any lace. The scent had grain notes. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with grain and biscuit presence. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall its a good beer.

Jun 29, 2019
jdhilt from New Hampshire

2.7/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving a little lace. Light clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Starts nearly balanced just on the hoppy side, simple lager, slight hoppy-metallic aftertaste. Very similar to their Hillas. $1.49 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA. Best before May 5, 2006 and still okay.

Jan 21, 2007
bditty187 from Nebraska

3.55/5  rDev +23.3%

Pale, white-gold in hue with little sea-monkey things floating it in; is it yeast? Protein? What the hell is it? If I don’t look very closely I don’t see these things floating in it. Aw, nothing in beer can kill me so… Oh, anyway, the head was white foam, at the apex it was a solid two fingers tall. Solid head retention, a tight cap lasted the entire consumption, most impressive! The subsequent lacing was unorganized and fairly widespread. Aside from the sea-monkeys this beer looks quite nice.

The nose is classic Euro Lager. Sweet and earthy with “skunk-like” hop aromas, woody, grass and hay notes. I have to say this style of beer has really grown on me. When Euro Lagers are not lightstruck the hop profile is quite pleasant. Moderate potency, straightforward and likeable; I think this one might be a pleasant surprise!

The palate is malty sweet upfront, clean with just faint toasted bread and crackers vibe. This is a good foundation for the hop profile to jump off of. Earthy with grassy and hay notes; there is even a dash of lemon. I am surprised at how quickly this beer ends. There is almost no finish and only a weak, sweet aftertaste. All in all, this beer is just a simplest version of Heineken (canned or tap). It has struck a positive cord with me.

Medium-light in body, low and creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is adequate but more carbonation and heft would have been preferred.

I found this very easy to drink. I wonder how much a six-pack costs? While I don’t think this beer is anything special nor do I think it would go all that well with Greek food I still liked it in the moment. I got my bottle in Council Bluffs, IA as part of a mixed six-pack of imported beers. I picked this beer because I thought it was from Argentina. Why that mattered at the time I don’t recall. Anyway, it is worth a try.

Aug 08, 2006
slitherySOB from Canada (ON)

2.1/5  rDev -27.1%

Terribly below average lager. I bought a sixer of it, because the natives insisted I try it. Confused me a little at the store. They pronounced it vajeena, which got a confused look out of me. Anyways, Vergina pours a light, copper stain colour with alot of carbonation. You can hear this beer from 20 feet away. For about a second, their is a big woosh of a head, but that disappears into a sliver of foam. No lacing whatsoever. Which isn't surprising, since their is no head to give lace. Smelled a little like cheap candy. Very sugary, sweet & sour smell in front of a skunked aroma. Now, it it skunked, or is that aroma supposed to be their? I don't know. I do know I don't care for it. Tastes like stale Carlsberg with a dallop of butter at first. But after awhile, the sweet & sour candy breaks through on the tongue. Because of the dextrin, it's a smooth sweet & sour, but unpleasant. Mouthfeel is very overcarbonated and a little harsh. Not very drinkable. I asked one of the natives at work why they insist I try this beer. Too put it bluntly, they liked the image of people drinking this beer that sounds like female genitalia.

Mar 13, 2004
Redrover from Wisconsin

3.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a couple of bottles of this at Kalamata a very nice Greek restaurant in downtown Elmhurst, IL. It is a 12 oz brown bottle with a very nice metallic colored label.

Beer poured a very nice bright gold with a massive fluffy white head. Surprisingly good lacing.

Beer had that classic Euro lager/pilsner smell. Think unskunked Heineken with the grassy, slightly hoppy smell.

Taste was solid in a workman like way. Nothing to fancy, nothing bad. Malty sweet with more than a bit of hop bite. Nice bread taste in there too. The beer had no off tastes and did not seem to have any adjuncts.

Mouthfell was fine as the carbonation was perfect for the beer. Decent drinkability and it went great with the tasty Greek food. All-in-all a nice no fireworks type beer.

Mar 13, 2004
Quaffer from Nevada

2.77/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: This beer poured a pale, golden yellow color. The white head rose up to a good three fingers and, surprisingly, lingered for a long time. Probably all-malt, eh? After it finally setted, a few thick patches of foam remained, which were being fed by some heavy streams of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The head was sticky and a light web of lace was left behind on the side of the glass.

Smell: Some sweet grasses and malts right after the pour. However, after the beer sat for just a couple of minutes, the aroma became watery and thin. A hint of floral hops came through on the nose at this time, but it couldn't overcome the obvious nothingness.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, crisp, and relatively smooth. It did become a little watery, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Taste: Very light, sweet grasses upfront that were quickly overpowered by a floral hoppiness. Well, overpowered might not be the right word, considering that the hops really had no power at all. It's all relative, I guess. That's all there was.

An Oktoberfest this is not.

I'm pretty sure that this was an adjunct-free, all-malt lager, there just needed to be more malt used. That said, I would drink this over a B-M-C product any day. This isn't usually the type of beer that I review, but I'd never had a Greek beer before so, what the hell. Plus, it's called Vergina . . .

. . . huh huh huh, I said Vergina.

Sep 15, 2005
BuckeyeNation from Iowa

2.56/5  rDev -11.1%

Sun-washed pale gold with a light dusting of superfine particulates and a few flakes that looked much larger coming through the bottle neck. The cotton white cap is fairly tight and therefore lasts for a bit. What lace there is looks uncommitted to the cause.

First off, there's no way this beer is an Oktoberfest. I don't know what it is since I haven't done anything other than look at it, but as far as the stated style... think again. It smells like what it looks like... a Euro pale lager. By the nose at least, it isn't a particularly good one. Mildly musky, musty hops are the... yawn... focal point.

Yup, EPL all the way. The flavor is barely more interesting than the aroma. Vergina is lightly malted, with hops easily more prominent. However, their contribution, in terms of both flavor and bitterness, is minimal.

At least the finish contains some amount of bitterness and keeps the beer from being a total loss. The mild metallic notes of the first few ounces have faded, as they often do. For some reason, I'm finding that I like the beer more ('dislike it less' would be a much more appropriate phrase) as I go. At least there's no trace of the nastinesss that creeps into many a macro lager with warming.

I have no strong opinions about the mouthfeel. It's serviceable and that's about it. It's light (of course) with an appropriate feel to the carbonation.

Vergina is another in a long line of European pale lagers that does nothing whatsoever to distinguish itself. It might be better if drunk ultra-fresh, but then this sort of beer can only be so good. In any event, since I don't have any immediate plans to visit the Greek Isles, I'll never know for sure. My loss. And yours if you buy it stateside.

Feb 21, 2006
brewQ from Missouri

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

I don't believe this is a Marzen/Oktoberfest style.

However, I was plesantly surprised that it was a decent lager- thought maybe it was a novelty brew given the name...

Full head, fine bubbles, deep gold color.
Light hops and no Euro skunk aroma- fine.
Flavor- clean, just a touch grainy.
Ends up being very drinkable. I'd have it again with Greek American foods.

Mar 05, 2005
ColoradoBobs from Colorado

2.8/5  rDev -2.8%

In a bottle at Pete's Greek Town Cafe in Denver, CO August 19, 2004
Best by date of September 9, 2004. Tried this because I wanted a Greek beer in a Greek restaurant. Tried to speak Greek with the manager -- he said I knew more Greek than he did.

A big, long-lasting, off-white head on a tan-amber beer. Smell of malt with a note of hops. Not much else here.

Taste is slightly sweet, almost sticky -- much rounder than I was expecting from a lager. Lots of carbonation. An okay beer -- don't go across town to get one, but if you happen to be in a Greek restaurant, give one a try.

Aug 19, 2004