Raj Cobra | United Breweries - UB Group

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-09-2004

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by elmocoso:
3.06/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Double filtered for an extra smooth taste"

"Cobra - The less gassy bottled beer"

with slogans like that, how could i pass up this one.

It poured a clean light yellow with a two finger head. Supprisingly, it lingered, slowly collapsing into a marshmellow-like surface.

Plenty of "gas" but not much nose. Kind of adjuncty, with little hop smell.

I have to admit, though, it is pretty smooth. Decently refreshing, if not a little light. This beer is overall suprisingly pleasent. I had my expectations set pretty low, though.

2.83/5  rDev -8.4%

a: pretty macro; straw color with just a little bit of white head that fades quickly

s: very light scents of sweet toffee malts

t: some dry grains are the first to hit the tongue followed by smooth caramel malt flavors and w/ just a hint of bitterish hop aftertaste; the caramel brings it just a step above your budweiser etc.

m: watery with high carb

d: i can't understand how the label on this beer is covered in medals and awards; for me it was only a bit above your typical macro; people say, however, that this beer goes well with curry and that i find to be believable and the only possible benefit

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am normally ambivalent/ unmoved by lagers, as a rule.
On this occasion, however, there was (superb) Indian food being served and I was in the mood. Good decision.

I found the head to be typical of a good lager- thin and some, but not a whole lot, of retention. No chemical foaming agents in this beer.
It poured a deep golden color, darker than I expected, but not too dark for the style. Very pleasing with its tight bubbles coming up.
There was little nose/ aroma but I counted that as a good thing. This beer came in an green bottle with an attractive label (and a claim on it that it was brewed for Indian Royalty, no less!). As a home brewer, I can tell you that green bottles have storage problems when light is involved, so I thought there could have been an off (skunky) taste or smell.

No sir, it was a crisp, slightly sweet flavor with no extra hop flavor coming through. Tightly balanced in that respect. Very nice, actually.

I read the label again: 500 years of brewing tradion, superior ingredients, yada, yada, yada, brewed in the UK under licence. Hmm...

I quested for the "gypsum-water" taste or hop flavoring that I can usually pick out in British beers (like Newcastle or Old Speckled Hen) but there was only the slightest hint of any adjunct flavors.

Overall, it was superior to most lagers I've had. I would order it again at a restaurant but I have better things to buy six packs of.

Raj Cobra from United Breweries - UB Group
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.