Flying Horse Royal Lager | United Breweries - UB Group

India

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-10-2001

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

when you are going out for indian food, you can do a lot worse than this one. that said, i think you can also do a fair bit better. this has some appeal for sure, super light in color, not weighty in the belly like the food is, its a great palate cleanser and contrast. it also has a light hop profile, but an appreciable one, and thats lacking for me usually in indian lagers. unfortunately, its woefully under carbonated, and that hurts the lightness and overall experience. there is also a funny green apple flavor in the middle, and i cant ignore it. it doesnt clash with the food necessarily, but i dont like how distracting it is. it also finishes sweeter than a light lager should, adjuncty and not done. overall a beer to drink and not think too much about, thats when it tastes best.

3.03/5  rDev +1.7%

Bright yellow-gold with a sparse cloud of fine particles. The cap practically exploded off the bottle, but the amount of carbonation doesn't look to be out of the ordinary. A decent looking cap of simple white sits atop the beer and leaves a few arcing streamers of sudsy lace when it descends. More than passable.

As is the nose. Sure it's simple. Sure it's grain-like. It's also devoid of any off-aromas that would make me assign a less than average score. It smells more musky than many Indian lagers, but not exactly more hoppy. Although where musky would come from other than hops, I have no idea.

This is okay beer. It tastes similar to the two other offerings from this brewery that I've had (from what I can remember anyway). Lightly sweet grain countered by grassy, lightly spicy noble hops... you know the drill. Like the nose, there's no hint of nastiness, even as there's little hint of pleasantness. The finish is short and reasonably clean.

I didn't expect much on the body/mouthfeel front and that's exactly what I got. It's light without being watery and is carbonated well enough to keep the mouthfeel from feeling lackluster. In short, it's as unoffensive and as unremarkable as the rest of the beer.

As far as United Breweries beer goes, Flying Horse loses to Taj Mahal by a nose and finishes quite a few lengths ahead of Kingfisher. Like most beer from this country, I would never buy a bottle to enjoy on its own, but would have no problem ordering it in an Indian restaurant to douse the heat from a plate of vindaloo curry.

3.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottled 8/2012.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy light beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is fairly faint but I am getting some malt, grain, and some grassy aromas. Taste is much the same with grain, fruit, and grassy flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing all that memorable in my opinion.

3.01/5  rDev +1%

This beer is on the menu for October 2006 at Mother's Bistro in Portland, OR (happy birthday to both Moms...). The theme of their specials this month is 'Indian', so the special import is Flying Horse Royal Lager. I thought it'd be worth a try - though not cheap at $7 for a 650ml bottle. Poured to a pint glass. Label has a cartoon image of Pegasus, the flying horse of Greek mythology.

A: Pale yellow and crystal clear with some steady carbonation. A one-finger rocky white head crowns the glass...

S: Hmmm...not much smell. Mild grains & malt...clean hops for some miniscule bittering. At least it's not off-smelling...

T: Decent flavor for the macro-styled beer. Gentle toasted grain and a hint of nuttiness. A touch bitter...nothing 'awful' & nothing 'exceptional'...I guess that makes it pretty 'average'...

M: Clean and crisp, light mouthfeel.

D: This beer must go with food, which is how I enjoyed it - I scored it slightly above average for that reason. My dinner was masala-spiced prawns and aromatic rice; the beer provided a nice clean backdrop on which to enjoy those flavors. I suppose I could have said the same about any of a number of macro lagers, still it was a novelty trying one from India and having it paired with Indian cuisine...though probably my first AND last Flying Horse, it was good enough for me on this night.

650 ml (1 pint 6 fl oz) bottle, with manufacted date reading 04/2011 batch no. 3468, so this brew is about two years old. Been hitting the India imported American adjunct lagers at my local beer store lately, and I quite enjoyed the Taj Mahal Premium Lager by the same brewery, so I figured I would give this one a shot. An American pale lager, at a moderate 4.70% abv, no need to drag this out any longer, so on with it.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yields two fingers of eggshell white bubbly head on top of the typical clear apple juice urine colored body. No lacing.

S - Some sour tart apple champagne like presence in the nose. Has cider qualities to it. Some bready yeast. Honey.

T - Very sweet, clean taste. Honey sweetness. Apple. Carbonated, medium bodied feel. A drinkable tasty beer for being what it is: a four dollar bottle of imported beer from India.

M - Smooth, light, and sweet mouth feel. Clean, and somewhat carbonated.

Overall, a highly drinkable beer. I think I might prefer the Taj Mahal Premium Lager just a bit more, but both beers would be nice to try if you ever manage to spot a bottle. Beats the hell out of the awful adjunct swill Bud Light and Coors Light being made in America, and if beers like Flying Horse Royal Lager Beer were more widely available, I would probably be drinking them more often.

Flying Horse Royal Lager Beer ---3/5.

The prototypical lager pour, a translucent gold color, the head impressive, the color bright white and the texture frothy. As it evanesces the lace left behind is a fine covering sheet upon the glass. Quintessential lager nose, all malt, somewhat sweet, with the start also mostly malt and lightly sweet, the top thin and unimpressive, the finish lightly hopped, mild on the carbonation, the aftertaste dry and lingering. Another ¬ďAverage" lager, drinkable, but nothing that would make me buy it again.

Meh. An overall average beer. Nothing special, but not terrible, either. I'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I will mention that it went very well with my lamb curry. I did notice that the carbonation level was a bit high, as noted by other reviewers, but I didn't have a problem with it. The hop flavor and aroma was definitely superior to NAILs, but that's about the highest praise I can give it.

Flying Horse Royal Lager from United Breweries - UB Group