Kingfisher Premium Lager | United Breweries - UB Group

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-06-1998

Reviews: 357 | Ratings: 860
2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours pale yellow, small suddy head.
Nose is grassy but also shows sweet, bready, grainy malt. Inoffensive.
The same sweet light bready malts transfers through as a flavour with little else following.
Moderate carbonation should be higher.
Overall, a very light summer thirst quencher.

330ml green bottle

Pours very light in hue, thin head with little retention

Smell is of husk, corn comes through very prominantly. Malt sweetness also

Taste is dry, the taste of corn comes through, thin , very thin, little bit of sweetness

Along the lines of the standard euro pale lager

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

An Indian beer brewed in NY. There's really nothing special to this. Golden-yellow color with a small white head. Aroma isn't the greatest, slight malt and skunk. Flavor is a little better, sweeter and more of a bite than some other lagers. Session swill here.

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

Pale amber with a minimum of floaty bits. The off-white head looks too insubstantial to last or to provide much lace (it does neither). It isn't quite as transient or as mealy as the heads on BMC lagers, but it's no superstar either. Barely acceptable, uninspiring, bland.

There was a huge blast of skunkitude when the cap was popped. Although it's still lingering, it's fading by the minute. The nose isn't horrible. For instance, it doesn't force me to keep my nose over the glass only long enough to form an impression, like some beer of this style. The beer smells like lightly sweet grain and little else.

Kingfisher is one of the least flavorful pale lagers that I've had in a very long time. With each sip I'm more and more astounded that there's so little substance. I usually reserve truly low scores for truly offensive beer. In those instances where there's so little to go on, I struggle with assigning numbers. Better to ignore the numbers and know that this is nothing more than a ghost of a lager. Beer-flavored water at best.

It does no good to talk about malt and hops since neither one makes much of a contribution. The beer isn't sweet and it's only marginally bitter. Think Bud Light (with its nastier aspects removed) cut with a generous portion of distilled water. Needless to say, the 'finish' begins as soon as beer enters mouth and the body feels like it has a specific gravity approaching 1.000.

I'm amazed to discover that Kingfisher Lager is 'the best selling Indian lager world-wide' and is now brewed by 17 breweries around the world. This particular bottle was brewed in Saratoga Springs, NY. I've had a bottle or two with Indian food in the past and wasn't impressed. Solo, it's even less impressive. Bottom line: avoid unless dehydrated.

2.09/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap at the Olde Saratoga brewery. Probably the worst thing I drank there and that’s saying something because very little was distinguished at all. Pale straw color, decent clarity, small white head that settles slowly, some patchy lacing. The look was the best thing about this beer.

Strange aroma has an off, slightly soured milk aspect to it dominating some weak grainy malt and vague herbal hoppiness. This intensified in the tasting; aggressively awful spoilt milk flavor, with the accompanying sourness, as well as some kind of adjunct flavor, graininess, puny malt character. A hint of herbal, floral hops mostly noticed in the mercifully dry finish.

Body is medium light with strong carbonation. Feel was fine but this is a terrible, terrible beer. Memorably bad and to be avoided at all costs. Yuck.

Edit: noticed a bottle of this in the back of my dad's fridge last time I visited. Maybe I'll crack it open and see if it's actually as bad as it was on tap at the brewery!

2.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Bottled
Looks smell and tastes just like another dull lager, I presume a curry provides the flavour
Really lacking in all elements even for the generic lager style

2.06/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours out of a bottle a hazy golden, slightly darker then your average "Adjunct Lager" but has almost no head to speak of and obviously no lacing.

The smell is BAD. I'm praying that it isn't a foreshadowing of a pre-skunked bastardization of "craft" beer.

Taste - pleasantly surprised, it has the same skunk notes as a Corona (that cerveza aficionados swear is part of the flavor) but also a reasonable full body. Better then Natural Light!

Mouthfeel - Due to the so-so taste, I'm drinking it too fast to judge mouthfeel. Since it isn't too watery, we'll go with "average"

Drinkability - Better then urine

2.06/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy yellow gold color with very little (1/8") head of white bubbles. The head was gone within a few seconds to end up looking kinda like a glass of lemonade.

Aroma: The aroma is very grainy with a noticeable corny presence. There is definitely hops in here, and they partially lend a skunky aroma from the green bottle I guess.

Taste: The flavor is equally as grainy, and it tastes to me like a beer that was over sparged. The corn shines through into the flavor. After a few sips, the flavor gets more tolerable. The aftertaste is also a bit harsh and leaves a bitterness to linger for some time. I don't think that this bitterness is as much due to the hops as from the grainy over-sparging effect. There is no alcohol noticeable.

Opinion: Well, I was pretty disappointed in this beer. From the appearance to the flavor, this beer leaves a lot to be desired. The sad part about it is (I believe) that these are no defects due to handling or age, but in the processes at the brewery. It may be too alkaline of water, but I think that it is over sparging. The result of pinching the pennies too tight. I suggest drinking something else.

2.05/5  rDev -26%

12 oz green bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
No date or info.

A - Somewhere an Indian is laughing as this erupts like Mount St. Helens in my hand coating my arm and, to my dog's enjoyment, the carpet. The loose white head deflated damn quickly as I tried sopping up the brew from my floor. Lightly hazy golden yellow and filled with sediment.

S - Smells of dusty, dirty back roads leading to a place you most certainly don't want to go. Sweet corn is the first distinguishable ingredient followed by pale malt. Not pleasing.

T - One sip is enough for me to know how this story ends. Pale malt is masked carelessly by corn and/or rice adjunct and served with a hefty helping of chalky dirt.

M - Crisp and surprisingly un-skunked, this lager is light-bodied and bland with a dry, not too pleasing, but not wretched finish.

O - A lager fit for my drain, I was fooled momentarily thinking that my dog got some sort of treat with the eruptive spillage. Then I tried it and I felt sorry for her. She's sampled better. Much better.

2.05/5  rDev -26%

Pale yellow, clear. Moderate head that sticks around for 2-3 minutes leaving to trace. Mild carbonation.

Sour/metallic whiff. Hop aromas: citric, floral, mildly piney. Light sweet malt, biscuit/nut.

Same sour/tart/metallic vibe. Thin bodied light malt, sweet and toasty. Spicy citric floral hops provide the tartness. Adequately balanced. Decent carbonation at first, then it just dies to a foamy nast. Finishes dry, metallic, and smoky; I feel like I just smoked a $3 cigar.

Tastes alright - not good, not horrible - definitely better than it smells or feels. Somehow I doubt they use only the "finest malted barley and hops" as it screams corn/rice at me. I wouldn't go out of my way for another, but I wouldn't turn down a cold free one if I was thirsty.

2.05/5  rDev -26%

I opened this beer at an Indian restaurant, and found it to be ridiculously flat, so I sent it back. They brought me a new one, and it was even flatter.

So I ordered it at another Indian restaurant some months later, and it is just as unpalatably flaccid as prior times.

It is a very pale yellow, the kind like you see in the snow that you DON'T eat. And as I said, it is actually flatter than Sherri Sheppard thinks the Earth is.

I drank some of it, and it was not very good. It had a metallic and unnaturally vague taste. Suspicious.

It felt terrible. It was a violation. I did it for science.

I would rather drink ten black-and-tans of Kaliber and O'Douls than drink one more of these horse-shit beers.

2.02/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear golden body with lots of rising bubbles. A white head recedes to a film with no lacing.

Aroma: Sweet malts interrupted by green bottle skunk.

Taste: A more grainy body than the aroma indicated, a touch of skunkiness before a subtle sour hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and dry.

Overall: If I'm going to drink a green bottled lager, I'll choose any beer but this one next time, if there ever will be a next time.

Picked this up in Totowa - if you wish to stay away from this, you've been warned.

Not a whole lot to this beer in the pour or look. Has a light appearance with hardly any head and no lacing to be seen. The aroma was pretty much missing as well and any scent that was present reminded me of the filler used in the mass-market brews.

Appearance – Golden coloured with a lot of effervescent carbon bubbles (probably mechanically added), supports a decent head that dies almost as soon as you look at it.

Smell - Smelling like a Heineken this lager and has a clear smell of alcohol to it. There is also an almost chalky, dusty smell to this beer. There is a mechanical carbon smell to this like the smell you get from sparkling water… just odd.

Taste – In terms of taste there is a deep flavour of the barley grains and it almost reminds me of old Amstel. There is some hop flavour to this. Beyond that this is a pedestrian beer.

Mouthfeel – Very dry and light bodied also towards the thin end of the scale although there is plenty of carbon in the mouth.

Overall – This is a less than average Lager definitely not the best in the world but a hell of a long way removed from the worst. When I drank this in India you had to up end it in water to let the glycerine fall out or it gave the runs. That said in the Thar Desert it was pretty drinkable but we were so thirsty we may have settled for camel piss. And this beer I suspect is not far removed. The flavour lingers for a good time which is always nice if you are drinking something good but in this case it is not….

1.99/5  rDev -28.2%

I have been able to procure this beer at various Binny's Beverage Depots in the Chicago, Red Robin Liquors in Berwyn, Illinois, and Feldman's Market in McAllen, Texas. It was one of the more popular Indian brands in the United States. It pours clear golden, small but persistent head, and above average carbonation. It has pleasantly bitter set taste, with hints of sweetness and grains. It goes down smooth without much of an edge, leaves a slight bitter aftertaste, and is light and less filling.

1.98/5  rDev -28.5%

I had one with dinner at an Indian restaurant. Why not? It's got to be better than Taj Mahal, which I've had a couple of times and really don't like.

It pours a pale, ghostly yellow, with nearly no head. No lacing, naturally. Looks very fizzy. As a wise man once said, I've got a bad feeling about this...

I took a sniff. I pick up a little green apple, maybe a little corn, but it's all overwhelmed by a very unpleasant metallic essence. It's like greasy tinfoil that's been in the oven too long. The taste is slightly better, but not much. To me, it basically tastes like a BMC with a little spicy sweet Belgian yeast thrown in, which doesn't match anything at all.

The mouthfeel is very light and fizzy. Not my favorite, but I suppose that's how the style's supposed to be. As for drinkability...it washed down my goat masala, but next time, I'll probably just stick with Sam Adams, which the restaurant also had.

1.96/5  rDev -29.2%

From mix-a-six at Interstate Market; Easton, Pennsylvania

Presentation: Poured into Southampton Pint Glass

Appearance: Poured a clear golden colour, fizzy white head with suck retention and little lacing

Smell: Corny and skunky

Taste: A bit of apple juice quality to it

Mouthfeel: Light and loose

Drinkability: Pass

1.96/5  rDev -29.2%

A - A golden straw colour. A centimetre of head which slowly collapses into a thin foamy film which persists for quite some time. A handful of thin streams of carbonation, some large bubbles adhere to the side of the glass. If you wipe the condensation off the glass, you can look right through it and see objects clearly.

S - It smells of blah. Soggy tortillas with ever so slight notes of acetone. Blah.

T - The taste is even more blah. Some bitter hoppiness at the very back of the mouth. Absolutely nothing else I can think to write.

M - A slight creaminess mid-palate. Moderately carbonated. Nothing particularly offensive in this department.

D - Not terribly drinkable. The insipid blandness is only partially relieved by the hoppy bitterness. An inoffensive body and unchallenging flavours would probably make this brew bearable on a stinking hot afternoon.

P.S.: It should be noted that the example I'm reviewing is brewed under licence here in Australia. A sample from India may have elicited a different review.

1.95/5  rDev -29.6%

A - poured golden yellow/light amber with very little, if any, head and barely any lacing into a large pilsner glass

S - oh dear god this was horrible. Through the very obvious skunk I could detect hops, very light malts, bitter orange peels, and grains, probably corn in disguise

T - bitter hoppiness followed by lingering bittersweet malts, sticky finish and some metallic tones as well

M - light bodied, medium carbonation, sticky

D - Okay drinkability, the intense smell and weird aftertaste really got in the way

Overall - Very plain and simple: not worth it at all! I got a large 650 mL bottle for $1.22 and I would not buy it again if it was only $0.22! I'd rather drink a Labatt blue than this crap. To tell you the truth, I could not finish the beer. I drank what I had to in order to finish the review, tried to gulp some down, and poured it down the sink. Then I refreshed my mouth with a nice glass of orange soda.

1.95/5  rDev -29.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a straw yellow with a one finger white head that quickly dies down to just about nothing. No stickiness to speak of, pretty sad looking beer. Smell: one word, Heineken, but stronger. Taste is pale noble hops and buttery flavors. I don't see myself finishing this one. Is it skunky or just how this should taste? Either way, drain pour.

1.94/5  rDev -30%

If poured into a glass, you will be able to see straight throught this beer! I have never seen a beer so light in color before. It has the appearance of stale dishwater. As for the taste, it is watery and unappealing. The aroma is non existent except for a pungent odor that I have never encountered in a beer before. It has loads of carbonation and pours a very light color with a head that does not dissipate over time. This is a beer I would not recommend.

1.92/5  rDev -30.7%

A light yellow color, with visible carbonation and eight of an inch white head. The scent of roasted barley, with a touch of hop aroma. The taste is pretty bland, the flavor of the barley is evident, but nothing to spectacular. Watery in the mouth, the carbonation leaves a tinglingsensation on the palate. Nothing to great, a below average beer.

1.91/5  rDev -31%

12oz green bottle into pint glass.

Pours a clear dark yellow with a fizzy white head. Unimpressive, but pretty standard for the style.

Lightly skunky, with some malty adjunct character.

The taste is a little better then the aroma, but not by much. There is a bit of cereal grain sweetness before another touch of skunk and finishes with malty adjuncts.

Light body, fizzy carbonation, as expected.

What one would expect in the style and coming in a green bottle. Basic adjuncts, some sweetness and a light touch of skunk. Not the worst in the style but not enjoyable either.

1.88/5  rDev -32.1%

Very fizzy, so it does a nice job of washing down a spicy meal. That's its only redeeming quality, though. Otherwise, its pale straw color, thin head, zero taste and zero aroma offer no compelling reason to drink it. As close to seltzer water as a beer can get.

1.88/5  rDev -32.1%

A lager lager. Pale gold color, small head. A light bodied lager. Light malts and hops. Light flavor, nearly sort of bland, but well-balanced and nice taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. An OK lager, but there is a touch of green bottle skunyness.

Kingfisher Premium Lager from United Breweries - UB Group