Taj Mahal Premium Lager | United Breweries - UB Group

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-08-2002

View: Beers
Reviews by IronDjinn:
1.23/5  rDev -53.4%

At first sip I was hoping this stuff had already gone over, but checking the best before date on the back it was still in the ballpark. So there are no unforeseen circumstantial factors getting in the way of what follows....

Forget the worst beer or lowest scorer I've sampled to date, this bodyslams it all through the mat, and then chews on a turnbuckle for good measure. This stuff is bad, and the "Slow Brewed For the Connoisseur" claim on the neck label is several thousand degrees beyond false advertising.

It pours out of it's sturdy 330ml brown bottle a flaccid pale yellow, more like apple juice than any fermented malt beverage I have ever laid eyes upon. The aroma is reminiscent of sour, rancid bandaids, as well as cider that has been sitting out for a week from that party you were too lazy to clean up after. Flavour is beyond words, I've poured out my own bad batch homebrew that tasted far superior to this. I've poured out store bought beer that makes me think back fondly compared to this. If I'm ever trapped in a mine for more than a few days and am forced to drink my own urine, then it will be shortly after that experience that I will confirm that this "beer" tastes very similar to it.

I don't mean to intentionally slam, haze or rant about this stuff, but it's truly awful. If you see it on the shelf avert your eyes and hastily run away, it may take on other, more demonic forms.

2.9/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Crisp and light. Confused by the serious amount of negative reviews. It isn't trying to be something groundbreaking and it pairs fantastically with the complex flavors of Indian cuisine

3.23/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I, like several others do not understand how poorly this beer is rated. IMO Taj is superior to the vast majority of macro lagers out there. It pours a clear, bright yellow with a poorly retained half inch head that left almost no lacing. Smells slightly sweet, bread and malt. Taste is crisp and clean, bready and slightly sweet. Well carbonated and light bodied. Certainly not a great beer but very drinkable. I'll take this over a Bud or Miller any day of the week.

4.35/5  rDev +64.8%

I do not understand all the negative feedback on this beer. I do not rate beer by comparing it to the best avaialble, rather rate it by it it's character, typicity, value and drinkability. As far as lagers go this is better than much of the macro swill out there. I can think of 30 macros I would gladly pass up to have a Taj.

Next time your in a Indian restaurant faced with a choice between a miller shite and a Taj, do your self a huge favor. Drink a Taj.

3.13/5  rDev +18.6%

I only drink this beer when I dine at my fav Indian spots in town (mainly there's little to choose from). I don't think this is a horrible beer; it doesn't scream profundity but I've drank a lot worse in my time and it nicely compliments the intense spicy dishes I indulge in.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

Appearance – Light yellow with a tinge of orange and some active carbonation. The head frothed up pretty well and went down slowly, leaving a bit of lacing.

Smell – The grain and sucrose aroma seems smoother here than in most of the other Pale Lagers that I’ve had.

Taste – This wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. The ricey grain notes are subtle enough not to offend, and the sweetness doesn’t make me want to puck like it does in most other examples of the style. There’s also a hint of actual floral hops in here. Amazing.

Mouthfeel – This was a little above light-bodied and somewhat smooth. The carbonation was light but not cheap and fizzy.

Drinkability – Yes, I’ll actually finish this bomber off myself (as opposed to sharing it with that Pale Lager-loving friend of mine, Mr. Sink). It’s still winter here in Seattle but I’ll bet this would be downright refreshing on a hot summer’s day.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.85/5  rDev +8%

1 Pint 6 Fl oz(650 Ml) amber bottle With freshness date and batch number (1846)

Appearance : Pale yellow color with some white bubbles on top,that can be there for a while.

Smell: Cooked veggies,corn.

Taste: Malt, some sweetness,kind of a little bit of spicyness and some carbonation also.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Feels very good on the mouth,very easy to drink
will try this beer with some indian food.

2.34/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Presentation: Slender 22 oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Thin ring of white lace, pale yellowish straw colour. Not much head at all quite sad looking.

Smell: Faint solvent alcohol in the grainy and cooked veggie aroma (DMS).

Taste: Odd slickness on the tongue, adequate carbonation with a light body. Cooked veggie, husky grain and faint solvent flavours show inferior characteristic to the lager style. Strain sweetness toils its way to the taste buds. Thin malt and quite bland. The best thing about this beer is the sharp, clean and semi-spicy bitterness. Weird funky grainy finish is not appealing at all.

Notes: I don’t suggest this beer at all, there are many other sub-premium imported lagers that are not only cheaper in price but cleaner and more flavourful.

2.77/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured almost completely translucent and water-like, a very pale yellow color. Many many bubbles. There was a white head that disappeared quickly but left some lacing on the glass as I drank it. Taste was less than stellar. It had sort of a smokey smell and taste, some bitterness and this really strange sweet-ish aftertaste. High carbonation while drinking. It was fairly smooth and easy to drink but it really just had no flavor. I guess it's ok if you're out eating Indian and they don't serve any other beer but I don't think it's one that I will just buy a bottle of again.

22 oz bottle from Rangoli's in Brighton, Massachusetts.

Went here last night with my fiance for Valentine's Day and automatically ordered a Taj Mahal with dinner. Whenever I've gone to an Indian restaurant I've always ordered this beer and have always liked it. Would I like it outside of the restaurant? Nope, wouldn't even give it a second look. Somehow paired with this food it's almost magical, and tastes much better than the Schlitz that it most resembles.

2.27/5  rDev -14%

330mL bottle, best before end 09/05.

Appearance: Pours with an average amount of head which quickly dissipates, leaving virtually nil by the middle of the beer. Lots of moist lacing. Pale yellow colour, lots of unusually small bubbles.

Smell: Nothing recognisable - mild vegetable aroma without too many additives. No pleasant hops or anything to make it stand out from the crowd.

Taste: Grain, mild alcohol and some strange sticky chemical taste in the back of the mouth. Goes down fairly easily - adjuncts are not too distracting. Best served very cold, it's quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Not too bad, but a bit rough around the edges.

Drinkability: If this is what they drink in Bombay, and it's cheaper there, my trip later in the year won't be so bad. I'm not expecting a fine pale ale to go with my curries. However, I don't think I'll be drinking it in Australia again... too expensive and too uninteresting.

Notes: The bottle states "Slow brewed for the Connoisseur". Does this mean anything? Is this the Indian way of flattering the consumer into buying this product? At least there's a nice picture of the eponymous building on the label.

2.11/5  rDev -20.1%

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Taj Mahal Poured from large 22oz bottle at Spice Cafe into tall pilsner glass. Beer poured a light straw color with minimal head and lacing. Very macro-esque appearance and smell . Taste was also unimpressive. Not much if any malt or hop prescense. Very thin and unmemorable. However it was a very smooth and refreshing accompaniment to Channa Masala, but nothing to write home about.

Had on tap at the Dancing Ganesha. It is bright straw gold under a 1” quickly receding white foam collar. It has a faint butterscotch to movie popcorn butter aroma and not much flavor. It is light bodied, effervescent to fizzy. A fairly insipid, boring beer without a lot of character – typical industrial lager.

3.67/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I dig the Taj Mahal artwork that they put on the label, but I don't dig that there is NO best by date anywhere on the bottle to speak of. Enough chit chat! let's see how this Indian lager tastes. I am not getting any off flavors or cheap adjunct taste, but it is also is has not very flavorful either. It's your run of the mill type of pale lager. It is cheap & easy to knock back a few. Cheers! B

1.83/5  rDev -30.7%

A 330ml bottle with a BB date of 17/12/2010, so it's a little out of date. Picked up from a local off-licence that was selling it for next to nothing (probably due to the date). Label features the Taj Mahal (of course) and describes it as a premium lager brewed in India.

Poured into a pint glass. Very pale straw colour with a thin foamy head that disappears within 30 seconds. Medium carbonation. Aroma is strange - initially it smells distinctly of sour apples, almost like some sort of acidic cider. After a while this gives way to an effete malty odour that doesn't seem particularly appetising.

Taste - in a word - yuck. A very weak malty character with almost no discernible hops or bitterness. Very watery, and initially quite fizzy from the carbonation. Other notes that appear include weak apples (at the beginning) and an unpleasant off flavour that is reminiscent of mould or fungus. Not good!

To summarise - it resembles mineral water that might have been stored next to beer at some point, and has some nasty undertones. I've tried quite a few lagers in my time, but this could well be the worst beer I've ever consumed (with exception to oxidised beers that I've tasted). To be avoided! It only cost me 60p, but I want my money back...

PS. I still have another bottle of this. Who do I hate that much?

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

3.63/5  rDev +37.5%

Serving a 500ml bottle. This pleasant lager is best enjoyed nicely chilled. The smell is a pleasant mixture of hops and malt, as is the refreshing taste. The beer pours a very light golden color. There is a nice head formation. This is an enjoyable import from India.

Taj Mahal Premium Lager from United Breweries - UB Group