Taj Mahal Premium Lager | United Breweries - UB Group

India

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-08-2002

1.06/5  rDev -59.5%

Awful, just plain awful... It looks pretty average for macro swill, but the rest of the beer is so bad it detracts from what little it has going for it in the appearance department. It has a terrible sweet corny aroma and some other garbage like smell. Maybe it's the water. The taste is sweet for a fraction of a second and then a horrible bitterness takes over and kills the rest of the experience. I expected better and was blown away at how bad this beer is. Buddha would be ashamed...

1.2/5  rDev -54.2%

Very light yellow in colour with a small, bubbly white head than disappears to leave a small lacing ring after a couple of seconds. Lots of bubbles too.

Very poor with grain & corn the only distinguishable smells apart from a faint hint of alcohol.

Grain, vegetable oil and skunky in taste, not very pleasant at all. It has a light bitter aftertaste & the beer sits funny in your stomach.

Bubbly & light bodied, to much carbonation. The lager has a crisp finish but is not even remotely refreshing.

A very poor beer, one of the worst I think I drank so far. It had no redeeming features & didn't settle well in my stomach after drinking it. Avoid this beer at all costs.

(More reviews at: abarwithnoname.wordpress.com)

1.23/5  rDev -53.1%

At first sip I was hoping this stuff had already gone over, but checking the best before date on the back it was still in the ballpark. So there are no unforeseen circumstantial factors getting in the way of what follows....

Forget the worst beer or lowest scorer I've sampled to date, this bodyslams it all through the mat, and then chews on a turnbuckle for good measure. This stuff is bad, and the "Slow Brewed For the Connoisseur" claim on the neck label is several thousand degrees beyond false advertising.

It pours out of it's sturdy 330ml brown bottle a flaccid pale yellow, more like apple juice than any fermented malt beverage I have ever laid eyes upon. The aroma is reminiscent of sour, rancid bandaids, as well as cider that has been sitting out for a week from that party you were too lazy to clean up after. Flavour is beyond words, I've poured out my own bad batch homebrew that tasted far superior to this. I've poured out store bought beer that makes me think back fondly compared to this. If I'm ever trapped in a mine for more than a few days and am forced to drink my own urine, then it will be shortly after that experience that I will confirm that this "beer" tastes very similar to it.

I don't mean to intentionally slam, haze or rant about this stuff, but it's truly awful. If you see it on the shelf avert your eyes and hastily run away, it may take on other, more demonic forms.

manufactured in Oct. of 2011

a: Unbelievably pale, it looks watered down. It poured with a thin fizzy head.

s: Sweet corny badness. Nothing in the way of anything I associate with beer.

t: Tastes like weak, vile malt liquor. Very sweet and corny.

m: Thin and watery.

o: Just horrible.

1.26/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

1.41/5  rDev -46.2%

Well, I saw this bottle was only 2 months old, so I figured if I'd ever try it, might as well be now, and probably the freshest I'll ever get. Pours a very pale golden color with a tiny white head that was gone in a flash. Lots of carbonation. Not getting much in the way of aroma, mostly some damp grains, and no hops. Flavor is.. ummm... interesting. It reminds me of the way a wet dog smells. hairspray, mild grains and adjuncts. Ugh. This is terrible stuff. Light body, basically undrinkable. I can't finish this thing.

1.43/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Pale straw color with fizzy head and little lacing. Smells of cereal grains and tastes the same. Bubbly mouthfeel that feels just like Coors Light. Not the kind of beer to purchase every day or really any day. Don't waste your time or taste buds.

1.44/5  rDev -45%

1.46/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Let's see... it didn't ruin a great Indian meal... it rinsed the food into my gullet... its low ABV didn't leave me feeling like I couldn't drive... it came in a pils glass... it wasn't the worst thing I've had to drink. Was it beer? It was yellow (but then, so are a lot of other things); it had almost no carbonation; it had a puffy head for a short while; it was cold. No aroma, no taste.

Pass.

1.5/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It poured a light ugly straw color, with a fluffy lager head. Smell is grassy alcohol. Taste is lacking, real weak malt, vegetable like hops, small hints of sweet hay, light body with medium carbonation.

I didn’t like this at all, bland flavor and what was there was not good, odd mouth feel as well.

Taj Mahal Premium Lager from United Breweries - UB Group