Taj Mahal Premium Lager | United Breweries - UB Group

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-08-2002

2.6

Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 443
1.83/5  rDev -29.6%

A 330ml bottle with a BB date of 17/12/2010, so it's a little out of date. Picked up from a local off-licence that was selling it for next to nothing (probably due to the date). Label features the Taj Mahal (of course) and describes it as a premium lager brewed in India.

Poured into a pint glass. Very pale straw colour with a thin foamy head that disappears within 30 seconds. Medium carbonation. Aroma is strange - initially it smells distinctly of sour apples, almost like some sort of acidic cider. After a while this gives way to an effete malty odour that doesn't seem particularly appetising.

Taste - in a word - yuck. A very weak malty character with almost no discernible hops or bitterness. Very watery, and initially quite fizzy from the carbonation. Other notes that appear include weak apples (at the beginning) and an unpleasant off flavour that is reminiscent of mould or fungus. Not good!

To summarise - it resembles mineral water that might have been stored next to beer at some point, and has some nasty undertones. I've tried quite a few lagers in my time, but this could well be the worst beer I've ever consumed (with exception to oxidised beers that I've tasted). To be avoided! It only cost me 60p, but I want my money back...

PS. I still have another bottle of this. Who do I hate that much?

2.11/5  rDev -18.8%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass jan16 2010

A clear straw yellow with very heavy carbonation feeding a fast falling finger of head that leaves no lace

S skunky corn and not much else

T some sour lemon with what I smell, not very nice

M watery and over carbonated

D hard to like a beer that smells and tastes lousy, I wouldn't go looking for this one

perhaps as a safe alternative to drinking water in India but other then that I'll pass

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a nice clear amber, but the white head dissipates rather quickly. Aroma is fairly strong and malty with an apple undertone like a cider. Flavor is typically malty, with just a hint of fruit, not great but still palatable and enjoyable. Texture is fairly lively, rough and fizzy. This is better as an accompaniment to a meal than by itself, but still is worthy of at least a try.

2.65/5  rDev +1.9%

$3.95 for the 650ml bottle, batch 1277, mfd 09/10

It's a gusher so have your glass ready, just in case.

Straw gold colour, fairly big head of foam that calms down quick enough.

It smells of corn, light sweet note, usual low level of bitterness.

Same goes with the taste....so much like many of the style out there. I preferred the Flying Horse as it was a bit more assertive and interesting.

Light bodied, medium high carbonation and is drinkable despite it nearly boring me to death. ;^)

1.58/5  rDev -39.2%

One finger head of white foam that didn't stick around more than a thirty seconds. Broken lace with some clinging power. Color is a 3 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell like wet wheat and malt. Flavor is harsh, that of musty wheat, malt, and little hops. Very watery in my mouth, just a little bite from the carbonation. Could do better with one of the big three, not worth the price.

1.2/5  rDev -53.8%

Very light yellow in colour with a small, bubbly white head than disappears to leave a small lacing ring after a couple of seconds. Lots of bubbles too.

Very poor with grain & corn the only distinguishable smells apart from a faint hint of alcohol.

Grain, vegetable oil and skunky in taste, not very pleasant at all. It has a light bitter aftertaste & the beer sits funny in your stomach.

Bubbly & light bodied, to much carbonation. The lager has a crisp finish but is not even remotely refreshing.

A very poor beer, one of the worst I think I drank so far. It had no redeeming features & didn't settle well in my stomach after drinking it. Avoid this beer at all costs.

(More reviews at: abarwithnoname.wordpress.com)

2.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Honey/golden color with light- to medium-carbonation visible. No head, just a trace of foam around the edges of the glass.

Smell: What smell? A little chlorine? Some old citrus?

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nothing at first, but as the carbonation opens up a little, there are some citrus tones, spicy hop flavor. Weird strained grain presence later on. Very light on the palate, which is easily the best thing about this beer.

Drinkability: Worth a try, but not a re-try. Too bad this was a 22 ounce bottle.

2.33/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce brown bottle that I paid $3.49 for.
Pours pale straw yellow with a bright white head that melts quickly away but does leave some decent galss side lacing.
Aroma: Grainy, grassy and corn husk, has inexpensive or cheap written all over it.
Taste confirms the "cheap" tag. Has a slight skunk smell, also a hint of lemon peal.
The more I drank this beer the less appealing it became.
The only redeaming item of note here was that I added another country to my total.

3.22/5  rDev +23.8%

A - Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Golden transparent color. A good inch and half of white head and lots of bubbles. Beautiful looking lager in the tall glass. Looks just as good as the pilsners in Czech or Germany.

S - Strong corn smell. Not much else.

T - Light bitterness, clean finish.

M - Bubbly, light bodied, soft and tingly on the tongue. I thought it would be more crisp and clean but this works.

D - It's drinkable. Not my favorite style, but I thought this was a decent beer in the so-called "American Lager" category... though it is from India. Not sure how that works. In any case it drinks more like a pilsner, but a bit softer. It is definitely better than most of other American Lagers I've had.

2.42/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this with some extra spicy lamb vindaloo.

Pours a very pale yellow with little head to speak of.

Not much going on with the nose. Getting some corn.

Some mildly pleasant bitterness on the palate with a little bit of bread. Very light taste.

This beer is very crisp and the carbonation seems to work well with spicy food. Unfortunately, that's all Taj has going for it.

Part of a series of Asian beers I tried recently, like the others it was a fairly ordinary knock-off of cheap American pilsners. I noted though my sample as brewed here instead of there, so no wonder it seemed among the freshest in the series. Mild sweetness, little malt, that' basically it.

2.97/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer is clear and pale with a head that lasts a little while. It smells like yeast and hops. This beer has a grainy taste which morphs into a roasted malt aftertaste. It's very thin in the mouth with a small amount of carbonation. Still a fairly drinkable beer.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

A: poured a pale straw yellow with a half finger of head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the major of the aroma is a combination of various grains, wheat, and sweet malt notes. I also got faint citrus in the background.

T: the various grains and sweet malts run the show on the palate with slight citrus accents but also had very slight underlying corn notes.

M: the brew was light in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a wheaty crisap finish.

D: it drank really good due to how light in body and flavor but went quite well paired with chicken vindaloo.

2.93/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle with a yellow label into a pilsner glass at the Cafe Tandoor in Westlake, Ohio. Served cold.

Pours a clear pale canary yellow, with minimal white head. Mild carbonation.

Smells faintly of barley malt and mild hops. Nothing much doing here.

Very mild, inoffensive malt taste, with a slight sweetness to it.

A crispy and smooth beer, it's not bad, there just isn't much going on here.

As a session beer, it seems fine, a kind of "drink and forget about it" beer. Given that I'm about to have spicy curry, I think a hoppier beer would be more in order. However, it doesn't seem that many of the beers served at Indian restaurants take this into account, always serving some of the blandest brews around.

1.71/5  rDev -34.2%

and so it begins another adventure down the road of the bottom of the barrel. stopped in the store on the way home and grabbed a few more tonight. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/16/2010.

the pour was actually slightly better then what i was expecting. nice light golden color with a light head of white that was about two inches high and faded down quickly into a thin film that barely covered the sides.

aroma is off, musky wet hay, corn, lots of grain, just that macro lager aroma that is just wrong on so many levels. clean, clear taste, but nothing more to it then glorified water to be honest. highly carbonated with only a hint of dry hops on the finish.

overall while not a drain pour, it was close. again these things are ok freezing cold, but when they warm up look out.

1.41/5  rDev -45.8%

Well, I saw this bottle was only 2 months old, so I figured if I'd ever try it, might as well be now, and probably the freshest I'll ever get. Pours a very pale golden color with a tiny white head that was gone in a flash. Lots of carbonation. Not getting much in the way of aroma, mostly some damp grains, and no hops. Flavor is.. ummm... interesting. It reminds me of the way a wet dog smells. hairspray, mild grains and adjuncts. Ugh. This is terrible stuff. Light body, basically undrinkable. I can't finish this thing.

2.14/5  rDev -17.7%

Indian food with the wife. I figured this was as good a time and place as any to try this beer. I won't have to do that again.

500 ml bottle served in a stein. Beer is dark yellow and clear. Forms no head (to speak of) and is moderately carbonated with very large bubbles. Looks a little odd. No lacing at all.

Beer has a sulfury and corn like aroma to it. Its kind of strong and kind of gross.

Beer is not too sulfury though. Not spoiled or light struck. Kind of grainy, light in body, some aftertaste, at times I get some boiled vegetable flavors...normally light lagers are quite drinkable but I had to force myself to finish this one. And I won't ever drink it again.

2.57/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Straw yellow, no head

S - Faintly decent aroma; honey-yeasty

T - The taste is about as the nose, vaguely decent. Not terribly cheap-tasting, on the bright side. Not very good tasting, on the down side.

M - The feel is a bit limp.

D - It is not very good, but it pairs okay with Indian Food.

2.09/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a very pale watery yellow/green. Massive amount of carbonation, and a huge foamy white head. The nose it dry and full of grain, with a touch of lemon and a very faint hint of malts. The taste is very watery, and bland, it's hard to pick out any flavour at all...at a push I'd say this is a week bready malt lingering somewhere and you might be able to taste a hop or two. The feel is thin, watery, slightly oily, and surprisingly flat considering the appearance. This is the sort of thing that give lager a bad name. Don't bother with this.

2.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle - $3.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. Manufacturing date listed as 03/10.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, standard lager yellow body with a wispy, white head.

Smell: A tedious odor of limp malts, cooked corn, and cider with some pervasive, all-too fragrant solventy tones.

Taste: Ultra pale maltiness with some flecks of maize, a taste of bargain bin cider, and a mite bit of detergent. Light bitterness. Another round of odd, icky flavors until the merciful ending. My advise is to not allow these tastes to take hold -- drink this one cold, drink this one fast.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Bleh! This one falls somewhere between irksome and unpleasant. Now I wonder what is Hindi for "foul, dumpy lager."

2.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light straw color. 1 cm white head, not much retention. No lace. Not much character here.

Smell: Very sweet. Some honey aroma, but mostly a sweet processed corn type aroma. Cooked veggies.

Taste: I have no idea how they brew a beer to have this sweet, industrial taste like this. It is like night and day with cleaner, tastier beers. Funky, grassy, metallic taste. Soft sweetness provides the only pleasantness here.

Mouthfeel: Grainy and oily, but a little thin. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Actually gave me a bit of a headache. Not as bad as some of the beers I had while I was actually in India, but this is no treat, even as adjuncts go.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I ordered this at an Indian restaurant, and I was very disappointed.

Appearance: Very pale, one finger of foam that quickly dissipates, and poor lacing.

Smell: Faint hops; wet grass

Taste: Little flavor up front and a faint aftertaste of hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin.

Drinkability: One word: insipid.

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%

I wouldn't go so far as to say "avoid" this one, but it's definitely not worth the premium price for the larger bottle. Wan yellow sparkling in the glass with a small white head... like Ginger Ale. Euro skunk was present but not overly so and the initial taste was a weak, slightly sweet biscuity malt with a definite euro hops aftertaste. All in moderation and (sad to say) in balance, rendering the whole thing quite drinkable. And at 4-1/2 % ABV, you could put the whole bottle down, at least with food (as I did). Better than some euro macros, but definitely not worth looking for.

2.1/5  rDev -19.2%

I was (obviously) not impressed by this beer. It was a toos up between ordering this one and a King Fisher, but I avoided the KF because I thought it might be skunk-y. That's exactly what this beer was. From what I can tell, this is common for Indian Lagers. Not much flavor or aroma. Even my friend commented, "Budwiser tastes better than this!" I would have to agree. It's funny that the label bragged about only the "finest malt and hops," but I didn't detect any of that. I guess Bud claims the same thing though.

3.11/5  rDev +19.6%

Bomber birthday gift. Suspecting what I was basically in for, I drank a leftover Beast Ice ahead of time to give the Taj a fair shake.

Yellow, fizzy, clear. White foamy, quickly dissipating head. Seems vaguely familiar. Oh, like 90% of the macro lagers in the USA. I hope nobody paid too much to import this.

Not skunked like I would expect an Indian beer to be; at least they have the sense to use brown bottles. Sweet grain, corny, horse-feed scent. A bit of a perfumy, ripe fruit fruitiness. Fermented too warm? I'm telling ya, there is some caramel here too. Not exactly inviting, but not overly offensive really.

Grainy, corny, and sweeter than expected. There's that toffee/caramel again. Little sharp, chemical fruitiness. I think I almost detected a faint hop taste as it warmed, and there is a tad of bitterness countering the sweet.

Not as clean as our macros; but hey, that may not be such a bad thing. Some lager yeast coming through in fruit and the faintest sulfur. Refreshing, though leaving some residual on the palate. Slick and smooth on the tongue. Not much to balance here, but there is some.

OK, maybe I am being too generous because I did just have a worse beer and because it was free. But I'm going to bet that this got some worse grades than it deserves because it is an American Adjunct Lager. When judging, I believe we should consider the style. That said, I never plan to buy one unless eating Indian Cuisine.

Taj Mahal Premium Lager from United Breweries - UB Group