Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel | Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany
andechs.de

Style: Doppelbock

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

Added by Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

4.3
10%

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 469

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

I've been to the Holy Mountain.

I've seen the herb garden the monks use for this masterpiece.

And a small distributor has now brought one of my favorite beers to my door.

Poured into a stein I have from Andechs, this beers color comes out dark copper with some touches of red. The head holds up nicely (though in older bottles that I have aged this tends to not be the case). Right away I smell that caramel with a back-end of fruits. At first sip it feels velvety in the mouth, with the taste of the malt and sweetness teasing the tongue. Then it hits you with the small hoppiness at the end. Then bang you taste that chocolate after each sip.

One of my favorite beers, and in a blind test normally beats our everyone's favorite doppelbock.

Buy it, enjoy it and repeat.

My wife makes frequent trips to Germany (mostly Frankfurt), and brings this home on the plane. A Wegmans near us in Woodbridge VA is just starting to stock it. It is always terrific and the best of the German Doppelbocks IMHO. Our favorite beer, and I have a couple cases in my wine cellar at 57 degrees F right now (if I can keep my wife and son out of there!).

I have sampled this bier a few times now...at Andechs and in the bottle. Every time I have this bier, I think "This is so damn good...". and it is.

Read all the reviews for this bier; Color - Great, Smell - Sweet, fruity and complex, Taste - Amazing, Mouthfeel - Light and delicious, Drinkability - Second to none.

This bier ranks high, in the top ten. Justifiably so.

Andechser Dopplebck ist am besten.

John

Woohooo my first 5 and finally a beer to beat the Weltenburger Doppelbock

It is Chestnut colour with some ruby when held into the light

It smells divine of dark fruit, caramel and a hint of chocolate

Perfect carbonation and body in my view

Guess what drinkable eh!!!

Been awhile since I put in a 5.0 but this is as good as it gets for a doppel and for a beer in general. Huge sweet bready characteristics reminding of fresh baked honey bread drizzled with a brown sugar and raisin compote. Caramel, maple, molasses, dark fruits. A malt lovers dream. Body and weight are kept in check and this drinks almost like a regular bock but with much more flavor.

The best there is and probably the one beer I would take to a deserted island. It would certainly be in my six pack to bring. I would rate as one of my top 5 beer of all-time maybe #1

On-Tap! At De Vildeman in Amsterdam, Holland. I've heard much about this brew, but when I failed to get a bottle from Germany, I decided to try this when I actually saw it on tap! I'm really glad that I did, as this is probably the best Doppelbock being made! This was dark as night, with some rusty edges of maroon and brown. The head was small, tan, and short-lived. The aromas were of fresh bavarian soft pretzels, deepl malts, and slight floral hops on the finish. The taste was extremely malty, not too sweet, and hoppy on the finish. The perfect doppel! The mouthfeel was thick, creamy, and oh-so-smooth going down, and the drinkability was excellent. This stuff is like liquid crack...amazing and highly recommended by this BA!

Rating says it all. If you want the best, this is the best döopelback in the world.

What else can I say but simply, the best beer I have ever had! Small fine bubbles, heavy flavor, full bodied, no foul after taste or bitterness. Extremely smooth.

Im Himmel gibt es kein bier!
Darum trinken vir Andechs heir!

Translation:
In Heaven there is no beer!
That is why we drink Andechs here!

Incredibly complex and delicious. One of the best beers in the world!

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs