Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel | Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany
andechs.de

Style: Doppelbock

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

Added by Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

4.3

Reviews: 454 | Ratings: 1,087
4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

great price ($3.99) for such an awesome brew! cola-looking but severely lacking in carbonation. i blame shelf age for this as the place i purchased it is notorious for having old beer and the european stuff sits longer than the american stuff. but even with the lack of carbonation this has a very good flavor. a little sweet as most dopples are and a dry finish. dark(er) fruits and the typical great german flavors.....

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle I got sometime ago. Noticed this was within a month of it's best by so I opened it up with the only person i know who is crazy about this style - BA smoked. The brew pours a clear mahogany with ruby hints through the body. This looks almost like a clarified sort of maple syrup with 2+ fingers of yellowish tan froth. Stringy fingers of lace stick to the glass. Flawless appearance.

The smell has a solid toasty grain scent that is strikingly fresh. If you have ever witness the sheer awesomeness that is the smell of mashing in to a grist composed heavily of chocolate/caramel malts, this is it encapsulated in a glass. Notes of molasses and toffee, burnt sugars, mild chocolate, coffee and caramel all swell up in the nose. Some herbal hops and modest alcohol inclusion break up the malt assault in your nostrils.

The taste includes flavors of molasses, chocolate and nutty grains on the sweet side. Contrasting is a modest herbal to citrus hops inclusion with minor carbonic quality mixed with minerals. The aftertaste is buttery toffee, raisins, molasses and some earthy to herbal hops along with that carbonic quality previously mentioned.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest to effervescent level of carbonation. It is crisp and somewhat lighter in the feel for 7+%. This is a solid integration of flavors with nice complexity. It has a lingering cling on the palate almost like butter which is my only gripe. Overall a really nice experience that was significantly better than I was expecting. No wonder this is #1 in the style. Get it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally ended up scoring one of these. This one is tough to find, but it finally ended up in my fridge. Poured from 500ml bottle into Pilsner glass.

A - Pours a burnt caramel color with a huge light tan-colored head. The head on this one is massive, even with a very careful/light pour. There's lots of sticky lacing along the side of the glass and it doesn't seem the huge cap is going anywhere.

S - As soon as I pried the cap off, I could smell the wonderful malt aroma. Lots of burnt malts, caramel, molasses, and toffee. There's such a nice sweetness to this beer, it's wonderful to savor the aroma over and over.

T - Very similar to the nose. A wonderful malt profile, some caramel, toffee, molasses, etc. There's a very nice sweetness, but in no way is it overpowering or too much...it's just right...in fact, I would say perfect. A nice touch of sweetness on the finish mixed with some bitter dark chocolate.

M - Light to medium bodied, frothy smooth carbonation, oily/creamy finish. I would expect this to have a bit more of a body, but it doesn't detract too much.

D - I see can why this one is rated to high here on BA. I didn't expect to be so blown away by this one. It easily surpassed my expectations. I don't know when I'll get to try another, but I am already looking forward to it.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a medium brown color, fizzy with a slight head. The smell is very sweet and heavy on the malt. Dominant smell is brown sugar. Taste is sweet and heavy, with hints of roasted marshmallows and almost no bitterness. Mouthfeel is slightly on the lighter, fizzy side for something this strong and tasty. Alcohol is hidden very well. Overall, one of the best of the style I've had.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Clear dark red. 1 finger of head with good retention.

Smell - Strong, nutty and earthy, with an unusual touch of soy sauce.

Taste - Very nutty for a doppelbock. Huge malt presence, but well balanced. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth.

Drinkability - Good for the style.

Overall - I have no idea how I didn't think this beer was anything particularly special the first time I tried it.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle. Courtesy of drabmuh on BA. Pours a dark copper brown red color with a big 2 1/2 finger head that settles down rather quickly to a nice offwhite coaster head. Malty aroma for sure with notes of raisins, plums, nuts, caramel, and slight spice like cinnamon. Minimal lace left on the glass. Nice medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The taste is a real nice balance. Slightly sweet with fruit like characteristics and a nice bready, biscuity backbone that balances it all out. Ends pretty cleanly without any apparent bitterness. The alcohol is very existant in the flavors. I imagine drinking this from a huge stein in Germany with all my BA & RB buddies, wouldn't that be sweet!?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz./0,5l bottle with a small picturesque drawing of the Kloster Andechs brewery. Above the picture is some German that says "Genuß für Leib & Seele." According to my free translation (sometimes it's correct) it means "Enjoyment for body & soul." It sounds right, but I could be wrong. On the bottom is says it follows the rules of the Reinheitsgebot. All of this was on a nice gold with a bright blue trim label. The back label was almost the same color, but the gold was just a little bit darker than the front. On the top of the back label is a real life picture of people enjoying their beer in the Kloster Andechs beer hall or beer garden, or whatever you want to call it. Below that is some more German and below that was the word bock bier or beer in several different languages, like Cerveza Negra Extra in Spanish. In fact I just noticed that most of the back label was in different languages. In the different languages, they labeled the ingredients and even a best before date that was clearly marked (which was very nice of them) 22 03 07. That means I still got till March 22, 2007 to drink the other two I got from a friend that went to Germany. I'm glad that I finally got a chance to try this Doppelbock!

Appearance: When poured into my favorite Doppelbock Pilsener glass, the beer was a nice dark clear ruby mahogany color with a head of foam that was an off white color (almost tan in color) and that was 1 inch in height. It left plenty of white sticky lace and foamy white rings around the edge of my glass.

Smell: I was first going to say that the aroma was disappointing, but after the beer warmed up, the aroma got slightly better. It had a dominate aroma of sweet roasted malts and then some nuts, slightest hint of caramel and dark fruits, and all of this ended with a bitter hops finish. Don't get your hopes up, not that much of a hops aroma was there, just a little bit.

Taste: When I first popped the cap and took my first sip of this beer, I thought to myself that this can't be one of the best Doppelbocks in the world, this doesn't have much of a taste to it. All I could taste at that time was roasted malts and alcohol. It wasn't that cold, but like the smell, when it warmed up it got better. It had a taste of sweet dark roasted malts, splash of sweet caramel, bitter burnt hops (interesting) and a mild taste of alcohol at the end. There wasn't a wide variety of tastes, but what was there was really good.

Mouthfeel: It wasn't as thick as I wanted it to be, but it was medium bodied and with a very mild taste of roasted malts, hint of bitter hops, and some alcohol in the aftertaste. The only real disappointing aspect of this beer.

Drinkability: I sure as hell didn't have a problem drinking this one down, but I truly thought this beer was going to be like the label, (liquid) gold. Instead it was like what the label stated (only if my translation was correct), it was really an Enjoyment for body & soul. Better yet, if you go or a friend goes to pick this beer up in Germany, it's very affordable. My friend only paid 0.95 Euro for a 500 ml bottle of this beer. I'm glad I got to try this fine Doppelbock!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours mahogany brown with a medium head that leaves a ring and lacing. Nose is brown sugars, dates...all that good dark sugary stuff. Flavor is sweet and warm dark malts. Maybe not as complex as I was expecting, but still very good. A bit too carbed for my taste, but full mouthfeel and not cloying. Overall, a great beer.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very dark brown with a reddish tint, perhaps even a dark ruby color. Light tan head froths up, fairly thick, but dissipates quickly and leaves zero lacing behind. The aroma isn't very strong, but presents slightly nutty, very slight fruit notes, and strong malts. First sip flavor is raisiny, lots of malt, with some very minute floral/herby hops that disappear as the beer warms. With warmth, caramel and plum sweetness, as well as strong sometimes chocolatey, sometimes toasty malt, predominate. The sweetness is a bit much at first, probably thanks to the syrupy quality it has, but that evens out as well as the feel turns to a velvety texture.

A great sipping beer and something I would reach for after dinner if I had a serious sweet tooth going on.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. 7.1% ABV, 23 12 10 on the back label.

Ironically I received a bottle of this from Thorpe429 as an engagement present the day that Beerwolf77 shared it with out crew to tick another top 100. Got to tick it, AND I have a bottle to enjoy later. Awesome! Thanks guys!

A - Clear and mahogany amber color is brilliant and sexy but topped by a weak off-white head. Low retention and some spotty lace cover the glass.

S - Rich and smooth malty sweetness with a crisp lager nose. Not overly complex but nice caramel sweetness. Very good dopple aroma!

T - Toffee and caramel with a toasted malt, biscuity flavor. Large maltiness but still smooth and crisp from the lagering. No hops.

M - Sweet and malty with a smooth, crisp finish. Very medium-bodied and medium carbonation.

D - Very good dopple. Great drinkability. I really like the malt presence in this awesome German lager. They know their dopples!

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Andechser, I wanted to try their doppelbock (barley), as I liked their Hefeweizen a lot.
'Genuss für Leib & Seele': Pleasure for body and soul.
Sounds good.
0.5 l bottle, bought in Nordhorn, Germany.

Colour is chestnut brown. Head is good, but carbonation is disappointing. Lacing is ok.

Smell of malts, roasted malts. A bit of coffee and chocolate, caramel.
Also in the taste. It's bittersweet and peppery.
Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium. Allthough the alcohol is not dominant, it's there. The carbonation is making up for it for sure. It makes this brew both refreshing and very warming.
Save this one for colder, rainy days (as a bockbier, that goes without saying).
Nice brew, recommended.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Thick, creamy, tan colored head sits silently on top of the hazy mahogany colored beer. Smells of chocolate and sweet malt with undertones dark bread. Sweet roasted and caramel malts mix with a fist full of raisins. Finishes with a mild dark malt astringency that never quite overpowers the firm sweetness of the brew. Good lord the aftertaste lingers. There is almost more flavor left on my tongue then I could detect in the liquid I drank. No complaints, just unique. The alcohol is barely noticeable, especially if the beer is not too cold. A solid beer with a full mouthfeel and some nice flavors.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

I've had this beer a few times, but haven't gotten around to reviewing it. This bottle was from Etre Gourmet and was nearly a year old. Served in some sort of tulip at Tom's place.

A - Light tan foam settles to a thin collar and wispy patches, leaving minimal lacework. Transparent dark almond brown body.

S - A nice collection of toasted malts, cocoa powder, toffees, honey-dipped cake, and a bit of malted milk chocolate (i.e. Whoppers). Perhaps a hint of roast in there as well. It's also got that clean lager feel to it.

T - The taste isn't quite as sweet as the aroma suggests, with more hearty bread and nuts and less of the sweet and sugary flavors. Think banana bread with a dash of dark fruits and toffee and you'd be pretty close. No alcohol, which is appreciated even though this is on the low end of the Doppelbock ABVs scale. Clean and surprisingly refreshing finish.

M - Medium-full bodied, with a bit of roast dryness to the texture. Otherwise chewy and creamy, with medium-low carbonation an a hint of alcohol warmth. Quite easy to drink in comparison to some weightier beers of the style.

D - This is a very good doppelbock, but I think the unavailability factor may drive up the scores a tiny bit. Still, it seems mellower than Ayinger Celebrator even though it's a bit higher in alcohol. I could easily drink a half-litre on my own and I'll make sure to do so next time I'm in Europe.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle obtained from PatYoda. Thanks a million for the opportunity.

Pours a two finger light brown-sugar head. Soda poppy at first then starts to cling. Smells scortched caramel during the pour. To the nose, sweet, like a scotch ale, but with a touch of dry chocolate. Powdery grains. Dry scortch caramel, chocolate, munich malt. Vinous. Cherry and vanilla. Musty.

Tastes roasted and scortched. Caramel, but a touch lacking in malt sweet. The caramel has a bit of an Am BWine strength and smoothness. Perhaps starting to fail? Md heavy carb contributes to a woody dry. Iron flavor. Solventy, like acetone and bandaids. Very dry chocolate malty. Alcohol sting hits at the end of each taste. The aftertaste has a hint of cherry sour and tannic.

Md thick body and heavy carbonation.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Have had this a few times on draft and finally picked up a 0.5L bottle at the local Trinkmarkt. Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge Doppelbock fan, but that I enjoyed this beer a lot.

A: Pours a dark dark brown with some red tint to it. Clear, no turbidity. One or two fingers of head which formed quickly and dissipated equally quickly with almost no lacing.

N: It's nice, of course, mostly malty earthiness with some sweet toffee smells. I get some combo sweet and salty aroma like teriyaki or butterscotch cookies with sea salt. Smells better than I make it sound.

T: Not as sweet as I would have guessed from the nose, more toasty than it smelled. Nutty malty breadiness, with molasses and maybe a cola flavor. Sweet dark fruits, but not overpowering at all. I don't get much alcohol, 7.1% is tucked away nicely. Slightest bit of hop in the finish.

MF: I like the mouthfeel on this, coats the tongue well with good, balanced carbonation. A little too lingering maybe, a little creamy and oily at the end.

Overall this is a great beer and worthy of being highly ranked as (one of) the best in it's style. This is more subdued and balanced than some of the American Craft takes on doppelbock. It's in the same league as Ayinger Celebrator in my book.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shared by Pino, 500ml into a tulip.

Dark brown with mahogany hues, beige head with great retention and good lace. Nose is bready, jam and dark fruit notes, nuts and toffee. Taste has mroe bready flavours, dark fruits, toasted grains, a sweeter 'jammy' flavour pervades but dries out in the finish. Medium full, real smooth lower carbonation without any alcohol. An excellent doppel, would doppel again.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Complex, malty flavor. I tend to prefer less malty beers, but this one's flavor is undeniably rich. Might be my new favorite malt-forward beer.

L-beautiful, copper to ruby with brownish off-white head
S-solid, just didn't knock me out.
T-nice balance of malty sweetness that also had grainy depth and some fruit and dark chocolate at the edges.
F-smooth
O-I can see why this is world famous for the style

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured into a snifter, dark amber color, medium head that settled quickly.
S - Aroma of raisins to me.
T - There is definitely a sweetness, I assume it's the malt.
M - Thick and chewy, low carbonation.
O - I don't get any of the cocoa that is mentioned in other reviews. This is exactly what I expect from a dependable German Dopplebock. I don't rate is as highly as others but it is a good beer.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

On draft, pours a dark ruby copper red, very thin, little carbonation, with just a little bit of head.

The nose is heavy malt, caramel, dried dark fruit, some belgian yeast, figs and biscuit. The flavor is so smooth and easy drinking, dark fruit, raisins, caramel, a little cocoa, and a little nutty finish. This is impressive, well balanced, medium bodied, a little chewey going down, but still very good. I like it.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

I was at the monastery 3 years ago & thought their doppelbock was a little boozy fresh from the tap. So I picked up a bottle & it's been in my fridge since! (Best before 28 08 06)

A: Deep reddish-brown with a light tan head; ring of retention, some lacing.

S: Dark fruit & bread, dark caramel, light spicing, slightly herbal with hints of alcohol.

T: Plenty of dark fruit, bready, dark (almost burnt) caramel, roasted nuts, peppery spicing, herbal, slight steelie grassiness, hints of chocolate, balanced bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body is smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Chestnut colored, cream head, quickly dissipates

Aroma: Malty, sweet, honey-like

Taste: Sweet, creamy, with hoppy, dry finish; well balanced

Remarks: This turned out to be my go-to Doppelbock when I lived in Stuttgart.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Everything the brewers notes claim it to be. Pours perfectly and drinks perfectly. Nose is rich and crisp malt. Taste is enveloping malt with a touch of hops to back it up. A delight of complexity as the malt unfolds with bread cocoa and dark fruit. Perfect mouthfeel with the right little bite from carbonation.

500ml
$3.69
Binnys - Willowbrook

Andech's classic doppelbock emerges from the bottle and fills the stein with a gleaming chestnut brown liquid that shows amazing ruby highlights when backlit. Micro carbonation moves up the body, keeping the ecru head sustainable. The foam is creamy and dense while showing no signs of disappearing. Heavy drink lines decorate the glass with each swig.

A meal in a glass, no doubt about it. The nose is impossibly bready. It's rich, slightly sweet, a touch nutty. I always get the faintest touch of lactic sweetness from rich doppelbocks, no different here. A barely there, faint floral note runs along the rear. This beer simply makes my mouth water.

Bread, bread, and more bread. There's a touch of sweetness and a sliver of nuttiness as in the nose. A touch of florals flit throughout but this is all about dough and warm bread. Very substantial and satisfying. Not much to say but delicious.

There's a fair amount of heft, again, substantial. The body is velvety smooth with a palate coating softness. When considering the ABV drinkability is flat out off the charts. There's weight but it's not filling. There's sweetness but in no way cloying.

This just happens to be the standard bearer of the style. It's clean, delicious, full of flavor, and simply mouthwatering. I dare you to dislike this beer. It's impossible. Now that it's in the states it will be a staple in my fridge.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

this is a classic and a proper formed beer. but in the face of some fresh examples in germany this is just on par with some other solid beers. color is dark bronze with a nice healthy head that was consistent through the easy drinking 5 minutes the glass when down. a wonderful balance of bock. some leather smokey, some hay, some toastiness. but still not as smooth as expected. lean like a lager and no abv in sight. this is a proper and food ready doppelbock.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

In color it is between a Ruby-red and chestnut. Pours with excellent/brilliant clarity, topped with a very appealing head, just a bit darker than "pale-tan." Plenty of lace as it drops.

Semi-sour and Sherry-like on the nose. Notes of plum , treacle, sweet... also some oxidation (HEY! It's a long way to Minnesota! Especially since this one made a layover in a NYC bodega.)

Notes of slightly-tart cherry and medium/pale "domestic" malts on the first sip, and they play very nicely together. Some deeper notes of roasted, dark malt toward the middle, and a rather dry finish -- excellent! Not as cloying as I thought it would be from the nose, and not nearly as off-putting as the notes of oxidation suggested, either.

Easy-drinking, and rather lighter in body than I'd expected.

I had mentioned "Sherry" right away, and this one is also vinuous in the best way -- the better doppelbocks definitely feature that characteristic, and this one is certainly among the top doppelbocks. I would definitely recommend this bier to anyone interested in the style. ;)

Did I mention that it was lighter in body and also very-easy drinking? Because it is. In fact, this one might be "dangerously-drinkable" in a certain biergarten setting, nestled in the hills of Bayern . . . SOME day!

A big cheers to BA user "gory4d" for the assist in finally* getting to try this one.

* After hearing about this brew for the past thirty years, we FINALLY have a wholesaler that is bringing in the S&H Brands portfolio of which the Andechs brands are included, and yet for some reason said wholesaler doesn't bring in Andechs! What a shame: I'd LOVE to try this side-by-side with a Korbinian or three...

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs