Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel | Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany
andechs.de

Style: Doppelbock

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

Added by Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

4.3
10%

Ratings: 1,134 |  Reviews: 470
4.3/5  rDev 0%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

On draft, pours a dark ruby copper red, very thin, little carbonation, with just a little bit of head.

The nose is heavy malt, caramel, dried dark fruit, some belgian yeast, figs and biscuit. The flavor is so smooth and easy drinking, dark fruit, raisins, caramel, a little cocoa, and a little nutty finish. This is impressive, well balanced, medium bodied, a little chewey going down, but still very good. I like it.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

My first brew from this brewery, this dunkel pours ruby brown with thin off white head and
very light lacing. Nose of caramel malts, fresh biscuit, and almost a brandy like aroma.
Taste is first and foremost caramel malts dancing with a lively mouthfeel, sweet biscuit
like flavors on the back from the yeast, and a very light hop flavor on the aftertaste.
A most excellent example of the style with a light syrupy sweetness that is good enough
to sustain any monk. Ahhh...beer, meat, cheese, and praise to God....maybe they got
something going on in the monasteries after all!

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

I've been to the Holy Mountain.

I've seen the herb garden the monks use for this masterpiece.

And a small distributor has now brought one of my favorite beers to my door.

Poured into a stein I have from Andechs, this beers color comes out dark copper with some touches of red. The head holds up nicely (though in older bottles that I have aged this tends to not be the case). Right away I smell that caramel with a back-end of fruits. At first sip it feels velvety in the mouth, with the taste of the malt and sweetness teasing the tongue. Then it hits you with the small hoppiness at the end. Then bang you taste that chocolate after each sip.

One of my favorite beers, and in a blind test normally beats our everyone's favorite doppelbock.

Buy it, enjoy it and repeat.

My wife makes frequent trips to Germany (mostly Frankfurt), and brings this home on the plane. A Wegmans near us in Woodbridge VA is just starting to stock it. It is always terrific and the best of the German Doppelbocks IMHO. Our favorite beer, and I have a couple cases in my wine cellar at 57 degrees F right now (if I can keep my wife and son out of there!).

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%