Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel | Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany
andechs.de

Style: Doppelbock

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

Added by Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

4.3
10%

Reviews: 459 | Ratings: 1,105
4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

(Served in a weizen glass) mind estens halt bar bis: 191010
A- Glows clear but dense with a deep walnut brown body with a sea of microbubbles in slow motion to a light tan creamy head that last and last with nice lacing with each sip.
S- The rich sweet toasted maltiness with some caramel malt with raw grain in the background and a Vienna malt.
T- A rich roasted flavor with a slight sweetness leads to a dry finish with a nice darker roasted malt that grows in the finish. A hop bitterness blends with roasted dark malt and a light sulfur note all linger together after the finish.
M- This beer has a full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a nice creamy texture.
D- The full rich dark malt with some lager qualities and no real nougat melanoidins notes. This is a big beer with a nice supporting bitterness. It is a full meal in a glass.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Half liter bottle poured into a Pokal glass. The taste is very comforting. Reminds me of drinking coffee or hot chocolate because of the warming affect of the alcohol and the toasty malt flavors. I think I'll definitely have to revisit this one in the cold winter months. The sweet malt and bitter flavors balance out to make this an extremely drinkable beer. I accidentally finished my whole bottle in about 20 minutes it was so good.

A very good beer thats maybe too easy to drink? I don't know if thats possible but I think it tasted too simple to me. I would have liked more flavors to linger on my tongue for me to ponder. Instead the beer just made me more thirsty.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Dark reddish-brown body with about an inch of light tan head. Quickly receded but left behind a nice skim and some lacing.

S: Sweet malts: Caramel, chocolate, and cola. Real clean aroma profile.

T: Packed with plenty of sweet malts that are neither cloying nor heavy on the palate. Lots of cola, caramel, dark fruits, some chocolate and a bit of generic roasted goodness.

M: Medium bodied with a gentle rolling carbonation that keeps the sweetness moving across the tongue. Smooth finish with just a hint of lingering sweetness.

D: A pleasant drinking experience! My glass was empty before I knew it. I wish this was available in the states... I'd drink it every time I grilled some sausages. Glad I was able to finally track this one down.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Had from the barrel at Kloster Andechs. Great place.

A: A nice dark red that is clear, not hazy. Nice thick head, slightly off-white.

S: Wonderful malty aroma. Not quite what I expected; very light smell, and quite sweet.

T: Amazing taste. Full body of sweet, malty, goodness, balanced well with a bitter taste. Slight hints of fruits.

M: Great mouthfeel. Good body, but I would have preferred it a bit fuller. A good level of carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability, especially for a doppelbock. Went through 2 liter glasses quite quickly. Possibly my favorite beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A huge thanks to Greg for including this as an extra in our recent trade! I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time.

A: The pour is a dark amber-kissed brown color with a finger's worth of khaki foam.

S: A nice sweet nose with some cola, chocolate, and caramel. There's a fair amount of roast to this, which I was not quite expecting.

T: The flavor is pretty much what I expect from a doppelbock. Toffee, caramel, cola, cherries, and just a pleasant sweetness overall. The roasted and toasted malts provide some nice complexity.

M: The body is medium with a very nice creamy and smooth carbonation to it.

D: I really liked this doppelbock, which is becoming a style that I enjoy very much. Good flavor and mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. Poured a deep and dark caramel color with a huge active tan head to it. The head faded down to a very thin bubbly layer after a few minutes and left a small amount of lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has sweet malty flavor to it with some caramel and nuttiness coming through. Some hints of dark fruits are present as well.

The taste has some very nice caramel and toffee flavors to it. Some dark fruit and a bit of cocoa coming through as well. It has a very flavorful and complex taste to it.

The mouthfeel is is on the heavier side and carbonation is relatively low. Excellent mouthfeel overall. Drinkability is good, it's a very flavorful and easy drinking beer. I really enjoyed it and would gladly have another, but would probably opt for something more available here in the U.S. in the future. I liked Thomas Hooker's Doppelbock just as much, if not more anyway.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this at a random german bar in tokyo.

A- Poured a dark amber. About half an inch of head.
S- Nice maltiness.
T- Wow. The flavor was awesome. Little bit sweet, with only mild hoppiness.
M- Felt great going down.
D- I didn't even realize how fast I finished it. Definitely very easy to drink. Went down really easy.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Clear dark red. 1 finger of head with good retention.

Smell - Strong, nutty and earthy, with an unusual touch of soy sauce.

Taste - Very nutty for a doppelbock. Huge malt presence, but well balanced. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth.

Drinkability - Good for the style.

Overall - I have no idea how I didn't think this beer was anything particularly special the first time I tried it.

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Mahogany-bronze pour, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Medium-dark roasted malt and brown bread, along with dark-ish fruit.

Taste: Booze starts out a bit hot and fades as I get into it. After that, malt and dark fruits lead the charge, followed by brown bread and faint bananas. Perhaps a bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is lightly tingly and spot-on for what I epxected for the style, does a good job of coating the mouth and is very smooth on the finish.

Drinkability: Don't serve this too cold, it definitely got better as it warmed a bit; ABV was a bit higher than I expected (and was felt/tasted)

3.06/5  rDev -28.8%

I had some expectations of this beer. Bought it in Germany a few weeks ago. Poured the beer in a Palm glass. The beer gives a very nice lightbrown to red head with some red rings which come up!! Haven't seen this before. The beer itself is darkred rubybrown with a bit of carbonation.

The rest is average. The smell is reasonable, i smell a bit of the malt which is used.

The taste is not spectacular, also the mouthfeel.

I drank the beer during a game of cards. Then it's very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Tasted this from the barrel at Kloster Andechs.

Deep amber-brown in color with no residual sediment. A nice almond colored head filled the last 5-10% of the glass and hung around for a minute or two, not too long, not too short.

Highly aromatic, clearly illuminating the roasted malty aroma. Sweet on the nose, but not in a repulsive way. Subtle hints of smoke.

Strong taste of caramel but balanced well with hoppy bitterness. Full bodied with low acidity.

Mildly carbonated but lacks the full bodied texture I would have expected which leaves a little something missing.

While overall my impression was diminished slightly by the less than full body of the texture, that point actually increases the drinkability of this beer.

Overall a good beer that I would drink again.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Pours a dark brownish color, nice sized frothy white/brown head, good lace down the glass.
S: Smells like fresh baked sweet bread. Lots of maltiness...smells very nice.
T: Sweet toffee and bready malt flavors dominate...slight dark fruitiness in there as well.
M: Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel
D: Man I wish I knew how to get this stuff in the states!! One of the best dopplebocks I've had.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

The first bottle I busted open in line at the veritas 007 release. Also gave myself a good pour. Aquired this bottle from digita7693 from Germany. Expensive shipment but worth it. Glad to have another to drink soon and will probably be trading for more.

Pours a dark brown color. Like a far brown stained wood. Nice head and decent lacing.

Aroma is more roasty than expected. Compared to other dopple bocks I've had. Not alot of aroma but also some caramel and that malty lager aroma you get from a bock.

Taste was more roasty than I expected but had a good semi sweet chocolate flavor I was not expecting. Toasted sugar and caramel with the roastyness of the grains is very nice. Also a bit of that typical lager flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little less viscous than I expected (compared to celebrator) but very nice. Nice medium carb.

Overall I will be trading (with hopefully my regular germany trading partner) for this many more times. Gunna keep this one around for others to try.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Dark reddish-orange copper color with an average sized foamy and creamy off-white/light beige head. Good retention with a good amount of lacing left.

S - A lot of dark malt with caramel, toffee, toasted grain and a slight bready smell. Hints of nutty and fruity smell as well. Hint of earthy hops, but this is definitely a malty beer.

T - A good balance between some dark fruit (particularly cherry) and dark toasted malt taste (prominently grainy and bready malt but the caramel and toffee flavors are also fairly strong). Very rich malt taste is present throughout. A hint of something similar to semi-sweet cocoa/chocolate is also present. Fairly sweet tasting but has a bit of a tart zing to it. Nice toasted malt flavor lingers on the tongue well after the sip.

M - Medium body with slightly above carbonation. Quite smooth with just the slightest bit of drying, sticky feel at the end.

D - Superb. Great malt flavors. It is sweet but definitely not cloying. Just a very easy to drink and enjoyable beer. The flavors are well balanced and very satisfying to taste and it goes down very easy. Too bad the ABV is a touch high.

Notes: Very nice malty beer. Sweet but not overly sweet. Just a very easy and enjoyable beer to drink. Luckily the taste also lingers a bit. It doesn't seem like a beer that blows me away or really shocks me, but rather a beer that I would happily drink everyday. Very rich flavors, but it isn't too much or cloying. Wonderful beer, if you can try it, do so.

2.93/5  rDev -31.9%

Beautiful dark auburn color. A color I've never seen in a beer. Hardly any head.

Smells sweet and malty. Quite nice.

It has this mouth puckering sourness to it. Bitter and sour. Malty, it tastes a bit like liquor. There's a strong alcohol flavor, which is stronger than the percentage it contains, which I don't find pleasant.

Stings the tongue with carbonation. Not bad, but interesting

Ultimately I find the flavor too strange to drink extensively. It doesn't sit on my taste buds in a great way.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4.5
Pours into a 0.5L stein with two fingers of bubbly beige head that settled to a thin layer over a clear, mahogany body. Good head retention but no lace.

Smell - 4.5
Intensely malty and rich nose of sweet malt loaf, savoury rye crackers, toffee and dessert apple.

Taste - 4.5
Nearing perfection for a doppelbock; intensely malty yet well attenuated and drinkable. Tastes of lightly buttered multigrain toast, rye crackers, hard toffee, caramel and liquor soaked figs. Finishes dry and savoury with warming alcohol and enough hop bitterness to balance the hefty malt.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
Medium body is lighter than expected considering the size of the beer, and coupled with fine, moderate carbonation, gives a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability - 4.0
Clearly not a session beer (and it isn't supposed to be), but very easy to drink, despite the noticeable alcohol character.

OVERALL
Not as much of a malt-bomb as some 5% Munich Dunkels due to the fruity complexity of the higher alcohol. Perhaps the definitive doppelbock - it's the highest rated lager on BeerAdvocate and with good reason. A truly superb beer.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle with a best by date of 10/19/2010. I've heard this one doesn't do too well with age on it, so I was excited to try a fairly fresh one (I think).

Great appearance: clear dark brown with a nice tan head that leaves swirling foam on the beer.

Aroma is very nice, nutty with chocolate, spice, roast, and dark fruits.

Flavor is really good and complex for the style. Caramel malt, toffee, chocolate, spice, raisin and date. Well-balanced and not in-your-face in any way.

Smooth on the palate with a phenomenal mouthfeel. Medium-full body.

This is one of those beers that just strikes you as really awesome. Supremely drinkable. Will seek this one out again for sure. Pretty sure this clocks in as my favorite doppelbock of all time.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Spoiled living in Germany and having a bottle shop that actually stocks a few Bavarian beers.

A brownish copper, nice white head that goes away, nice lacing

S deliciously sweet and malty, some caramel

T Nice sweet, brown sugar, figs, very smooth, perfect example of a doppel!

D quite good, very smooth, perfect amount of carbonation

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Nice dark brown color with red to amber on the edges from the light. The head was nothing to big and did not last long.
Really reminded me of a dark root beer.

S- Roasted malt, Toffee, and dark fruits

T- The roasted malt really shines through on this one which I enjoy, almost a sweet after taste lingers in your mouth.

M- Smooth!! Can feel there is little carbonation to this beer.

D- Perfect. It is spot on for a dobblebock.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

After having this brew on-tap back in October, I was reading others reviews of this stellar brew, and as this is stark bier time here in Munich, I want to now try from the bottle and dig into it.I recently tried the Maximator from Augustiner, and it totally blew me away, so a re-review was in order. A bit of a celebration night for me anyway, so thought I would have a treat.
Pours a deep mahogany-brown, ruby tones, dark tan/leather color. The head is thick, easily staying around for a few minutes before settling in the glass. Nice amount of carbonation.
Malts, dark bread, light bitter chocolate, roasted coffee beans, tobacco smoke, molasses, a musty oak/ grain aroma, dried fig, raisin all mingle to create a complex and interesting aromatic experience. There is a light spiciness, cracked black pepper on the finish that cuts the sweetness nicely. However, I found the Augustiner Maximator to have a much more assertive aromatic profile
On the palate. Fig, dark bread, rum, raisin, coffee, smoke, brown sugar intermingle on the initial sip. The spice apparant in the nose comes through on the finish and cuts the sweetness with a nice amount of sharpness that greatly add to the drinkablity. The sweetness is kept in check, and that is a factor in Dopplebock that is a main critique point for me.
Mouthfeel is more in the medium body range, yet perfect. The alcohol is completely buried, and goes down smooth as a Helles lager.
The last Dopplebock I had was the Augustiner Maximator, and I must say it is a toss-up between the two for the highest award. The Maximator was much more chocolate heavy in the flavor, and became a bit sweet towards the second half of the bottle. Andechs Dopple remains biting, sharp and interestingly complex all the way to the "bitter end"--of the bottle that is.
This is definately the top Dopplebock is Germany, only wish it had a cool "-ator" name however, I guess The monks at Andechs were too busy brewing perfect beer to spend too much time on names, it speaks for itself

I was fortunate enough to bring a whole case of these jewels back home from Germany. People who had an opportunity to purchase Andechser could be split into two categories: those who regret for not picking it and those who have grabbed a few but are sorry for not taking more of them.BBE 12. Dec 2010, into tulip.
The pour gives deep dark brown body with ruby hue overlain by abundant, persistent light tan head slowly dying out to a thin but stable veil over the entire surface.Tilts are weaving firm sheets of lace broken into patches sliding down the walls.
Thick, palpable aromas of strong maltiness, significant melanoidins, toasty notes, whole grain rye bread, dark fruits (plums and sweet cherries), light chocolate and faint caramel with hints of smoke. Thick piles of aromas are almost impenetrable to the alcohol that emerges bashfully. Thick malty matrix envelopes fruity-toasty flavors listed in the aroma section, slightly smoky sensation, faint smooth alcohol and bread crust finish balancing the malty sweetness. Melanoidins donate fullness, roundness and depth to this flawless beer.
Medium-full bodied with low to moderate carbonation the beer is velvety smooth and creamy and although tends to create slight syrup coating never cloying.
This one succeeded where others have failed and I am not left any choice but to give it highest ratings. Andechser is the reigning king of my own little Beerverse.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Huge, huge thanks to Masterski for opening this up and giving me a hefty pour at the Hunahpu's release. The search for this one had been a long one, and then just fell into my lap thanks to a very generous trader.

A: Took this over to the light to get a better glimpse. The pour was a deep, roasted brown with a bit of an amber hue. A very nice off-white head.

S: Very nice slightly-sweet malt alongside caramel, toffee, a nice brisk hop presence, and a bit of brown sugar.

T: Very malty with nice caramel and brown sugar notes. Hints of dark fruit. Hop presence is a little high compared to other examples, but melds beautifully with the rest of this one's flavors.

M: Very nice. The creaminess requisite of a good bock is there, but there's also a nice dryness that comes through as well. Moderate carbonation on a medium-to-full body. Good aftertaste comes through.

D: The combination of the elegant mouthfeel and complex taste make this one well worth coming back to sip after sip. Thanks again to Alex for letting me try this one, although I'll definitely say that my search will only intensify as we get into bock season and this one keeps springing back into memory.

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks for sharing this rarity, Mike! Best by date in May, so this is definitely in code. From notes on 3.5.10.

Pours a light chestnut brown color with some light grayish-tan foam. Nice lace and a stunning color with hints of orangey-red, good clarity.

Aroma opens up with some candied dates and a bit of caramel. Not quite as bready as I was expecting? Some earthy hops play over the malt base. Something odd... a little rust? Like a spiced metallic thing going on that is really distracting. This is oxidized? The taste has this as well with a little campfire smokiness combining with a hearty loaf of raisin bread. Not overly sweet, but that metallic flavor is here again.

Granted, I'm not the hugest fan of this style but that metallic quality is really off-putting. Great mouthfeel, just spot on carbonation level creates a nearly chewy body which is just excellent with the breadiness and creates a supremely drinkable brew. I was left a little underwhelmed overall, and kind of annoyed by this rust flavor, but would happily give this another shot down the road.

Pours a clear dark brown and the small head goes away in a flash.

Aromas of sweet malt, coffee, and chocolate.

Roasted malts, coffee, fruit, and finishes smooth with I'd say some mint in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light with some carbonation. Finishes bitter chocolate.

This is a drinkable beer and one in this style that I'll seek out again.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Gosh, is this awesome!

Poured from a 500ml-bottle into my "Maltings-Beer-Festival"-Nonic Pint Glass.

A- Great looking beer, dark amber color, tan head, that lasted quite long, just beautiful.

S- Spicy with roasted malts.

T- Incredibly flavorful and complex, but it requires zipping to get the full spectrum of flavors such as the obvious roastiness, caramel and bread and the clean crispness towards the finish.
Just a slight hint of alcohol in the background.

M- Exceptional mouthfeel, just awesome.

D- Actually pretty high, but it has 7,1% and you will notice these after a few, so be careful, it's a big beer.

I just love this one, it's one of the finest examples for German beers and I would highly recommend trying it out.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs