Love Belgian Beer?

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany | website

Style: Doppelbock

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

Added by Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

Reviews: 443 | Ratings: 1,050
4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Thick, creamy, tan colored head sits silently on top of the hazy mahogany colored beer. Smells of chocolate and sweet malt with undertones dark bread. Sweet roasted and caramel malts mix with a fist full of raisins. Finishes with a mild dark malt astringency that never quite overpowers the firm sweetness of the brew. Good lord the aftertaste lingers. There is almost more flavor left on my tongue then I could detect in the liquid I drank. No complaints, just unique. The alcohol is barely noticeable, especially if the beer is not too cold. A solid beer with a full mouthfeel and some nice flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

150 reviews as of this writing. Thanks to redhaze for the chance to try this gem. I've had a number of US interpretations of this style and enjoyed them. This.... This beer set's the standard for me and is one I'd be happy to enjoy again except for the whole getting access to it. If you like your dopplebock malty, crisp and oh so easy to quaff try this one. If you get the chance definitely go for it!

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Dated best before 26 04 06. Pours out a dark brown with reddish highlights and a tall tan creamy head. The head returns quickly to the body leaving speckles of lace. Sweet caramel and dark fruit come on strong with a nice mild dark chocolate in the background. Good amount of roastiness and smoke with light bready malts. First taste is some caramel with a backing of roastiness. Lighter notes of fruit sweetness and bittersweet chocolate mix in well. Very light alcohol is noticeable with a mild earthiness at the finish. Really rich and full flavored brew that I could drink all day. Body is hefty enough to carry deliver the big flavor and goes down smoothly and easily. If only this was available in the states.

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Lost Nation brewing in Morrisville VT.
A - Caramel, color, an ever so slight cream colored cap supported by gently rising
carbonation.
S - A hint of smoked malt, wonderful caramel notes and a kiss of dark fruit.
Light brown sugar, and a touch of winter spice.
T - Malt forward and remarkably clean. Nothing to sweet here, the light hop hints
are buried in the back. We were sharing some smoked bluefish pate for lunch. The match
was quite nice. The finish is wonderfully dry for the style.
F - A delight, starts to coat the palate, then quickly runs for the exit, leaving on a
glass slipper of caramel to track it down with the next sip.
O - A real treat, the nose, body and finish show amazing restraint and balance.
A new favorite.

Cheers all

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%

My special thanks go out to William (WJVII) and Marla Vogel. On there vacation to Europe in May of 2008 they purchased this brew for me. They carted it half way around the world from Germany to Stevens Point, Wisconsin. All for me to have this special moment. Again, thank you.

A - A very tall, dark tan, foamy, and quickly rising head. The body is a dark brown with amber and purple tints as the light passed through.

S - The scents of chocolate, smoked meats, malt and cherry all wrapped up in one. The only hindrance is the weakness.

T - The flavors begin mild and move toward bold as the taste progresses. There are strong malt flavors that consist of caramel, subtle spices and pungent fruits. While the alcohol taste is present it by no means controls the brew.

M - The feel is actually a bit coarse considering how smooth the flavors flow. There is an after-feeling in the back of my throat that's obvious. The texture is strange in that it touches the front of my tongue very softly but after the brew is down there is a coarseness left behind. I actually think it assists in prolonging the flavor. Upon my first sip I was not please but as I've moved on I am actually really enjoying this unique characteristic.

~ I must admit this is one of the finest, if not THE finest, doppelbock I've ever had. I will look again for this brew and hope to someday enjoy one on German soil with my good friends, Bill and Marla. Did I say thank you?

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep ruby-red/mahogany color. Nice light tan, creamy head, pretty good retention. Nose is somewhat fruity and tart, with a little bit of roast.

Flavor is fantastic. I've had this beer several times now, including on tap, and it's absolutely delicious out of the bottle as well. This doppelbock has an amazing chocolately flavor, with a great roasty aftertaste. There's a lot of meat on the bone here. Dark fruit, roast, coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup sum this one up for me. And unlike the Celebrator, it's not too sweet. Medium-heavy, chewy mouthfeel coats the tongue in luscious, buttery layers. Low carbonation, which I love. Alcohol is not really apparent, although it's seven percent.

A malt bomb of the highest order, Andechser Doppelbock is in a league of it's own. Prost!

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this on tap following the brewery tour at the Andechs Kloster. Nice mahogany pour with two finger off white head that fades pretty quickly with minimal lacing. The nose is all toasty malt, with hints of brown bread, caramel, chocolate, and just a touch of banana and dark fruit. The taste is much the same with loads of toasted malt, brown sugar and caramel along with hints of toffee and chocolate. The dark fruits really come out as it warms, and the sweetness becomes more intense. The hops are subtle, but add just enough bitterness to keep it from being too sweet. The mouthfeel is really creamy and smoothe. I'm not a huge bock beer fan, but this is a world class beer that really represents the style well.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

This is a medium brown color, fizzy with a slight head. The smell is very sweet and heavy on the malt. Dominant smell is brown sugar. Taste is sweet and heavy, with hints of roasted marshmallows and almost no bitterness. Mouthfeel is slightly on the lighter, fizzy side for something this strong and tasty. Alcohol is hidden very well. Overall, one of the best of the style I've had.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

THE doppelbock in my book, with an incredible caramel-chocolate flavor profile. It teeters on the edge of getting too sweet, but an earthiness, ostensibly from the hops, reins it all in. Truly delightful and one that holds up surprisingly well, as I've had bottles a good year and a half from filling that were still in good condition.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

500 ml bottle, bought in Germany. ABV is 7.1%, not 7.0% like the brewery website says. Deep chestnut colour, large and creamy light tan head. Very nice roasty aroma with notes of rye bread, caramel, hints of liquorice and chocolate. Fairly dry roasty flavour (roast malts), notes of coffee, toast and rye bread. Dry and hoppy bitter finish. An excellent doppelbock, not as smooth and sweet as some others of this style."

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap @ Zum Schneider in New York, NY.

Served in a 1-Liter mug. Brown in color with ruby hightlights and a large, beige head. Really pleasant aroma, heavy on roasted malts, raisin, and fig. I found myself going back over and over again to smell it. Medium bodied, not overly sweet as some dopplebocks can be. A touch of alcohol in the finish. Overall, a very enjoyable beer and maybe the best in its style I have had to date. One I would order again in a heartbeat.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle

A- Dark brown with a half finger off white head. Spotty lacing.

S- Figs and other dark fruits, malts, caramel, brown sugar.

T- Dark fruits and sweet malts. There is a burnt chocolate/smokiness also. No alcohol in the taste at all.

M- Medium body and carbonation. As "chewy" as this beer is it goes down very smooth.

O- Like a slice of fresh black bread in a glass. Amazing.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

What we have here is an outstanding beer...and even better if you fortunate enough to have it at Kloster Andechs. Truly a great experience. It's about 40-45 min. outside of Munich on the S-Bahn (toward Herrsching) but well worth the trip. We had a perfectly clear day to visit this gorgeous hilltop setting with visibility for miles it seemed. As majestic as the scenery was the beer, brewed here for more than 500 years. Superb doppelbock, big with malty goodness, the real deal. The monks sacrificed little while fasting on this liquid bread.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

trbeer was nice enough to bring a bottle of this back from Germany and then let the Detroit BA gathering sample some.

Thick brown color with rich burgandy highlights. A little more translucent than I was expecting -- not quite the intense depth of color I sometimes see in doppelbocks.

Sweet bread and chocolate ice cream hit the nose. Some syrupy caramel and molasses float beneath. Medium-full bodied. Very nicely textured -- meaty but smooth. Very, very, very sweet, malty flavor with some toffee notes. A little bitterness on the finish cleans up and balances. Eminantly drinkable. Great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this in smaller doses a couple times now so I thought I'd throw up a minimal review since I like it so much.

Pours a light brown with a slight bit of head. The aroma is light and is mostly nuttiness and some musty malt. The flavor is very nutty with a caramel maltiness. It is fairly light and lacking rich complexity, but it is a damn near a perfect session style ale (well, the ABV is a bit too high for that perhaps). If this was imported it would possibly be my "go to" beer for everyday drinking situations. Just so well balanced and zero off-flavors.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Presentation: Finally! A HUGE thank-you goes out to Kate F. for picking this up for me while she was in Munich. Sadly, I couldn't get my act together and get it before the best-by date (3-5-11) had passed (damn you, recession) but it's here now, and I'm stoked to try it. 500ml brown slimline pop-top with nice label poured into 18oz dimple stein. Bring it on.

Appearance: Pours an attractive dark walnut with burgundy highlights. This sports a dark ivory/light tan cap wihch soon fades to a thick ring. Would like a little more head retention on this, but that could have something to do with the age.

Smell: Now this gets things back on track! I was worried this might be somewhat muted or downplayed, considering the age, but it smells friggin delicious. Sweet dark caramel, huge notes of toasty bread, and a hint of apple and raisin jump out. The aromas are big and bold too; this smells absolutely delicious.

Taste: The taste is very smooth up front, and displays a nice mix of caramelly/bready and fruity flavors. Sweet, dark caramel leads things off, followed by toasty bread, and then by a dry maltiness (Munich, likely?). You think that's the aftertaste, but then you get a bit of dark fruitiness (I'm thinking dates, maybe)? This flavor, while nice, is a bit muted, and I'm wondering if this is one of the losses of age. Either way, this is a remarkably smooth Dopplebock that tastes more like 6% than just over 7% abv. A medium, firm bitterness brings up the back end.

Mouthfeel: Fairly full and rich.

Overall: I think I can say that a few weeks out from the brewery, this is probably more than worthy of 'the best dopplebock in the world' title that it receives here on BA. Even now, with four months having passed since the 'best by' date, this is still probably my favorite dopplebock I've ever had. I love the strong, toasty bread and caramel flavors and the way they balance with a hint of dark fruit. The hop bitterness is just enough to keep this from becoming cloying. Really well done. Thanks again to Kate for this awesome treat!

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

I found this at the Delirium Café and I’m glad I had it when I was there because it was impossible to find in either Koln or Dusseldorf when I was there, despite its availability being listed on the Andechs website.

This has a dark brown/reddish body with only a little head. There is a huge malty aroma with caramel notes that pours from the glass. The taste matches the aroma with big sweet malty flavors with caramel and some accompanying bitterness that builds at the end. As it warms up, the caramel presence increases until it is nearly the primary flavor. This is only medium bodied with good drinkability. It is a good beer but I did expect slightly better because of the reputation.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Generous off-white head forms atop the dark brown body. Head is foamy, frothy, sticky, moderately lasting. Light ruby hints make the color seem complex. A truck of malt in the aroma. Various flavours of smoked fruits, red berries, blue berries, cherries, light smoke, light roast. Terrific integration of the aromatic components. Another sniff gave me mineralic or salty notes. Another hinted me toward bread. Yet another proposed candy sweetness almost approaching honey. If the aroma contained a truck of malt, it’s 2 trucks you have when sipping. Its intensity is pushed further although always staying in the subtlety grace as opposed to a celebrator. Incredible precision, every angle is well cut. Bolder than the aroma in its leathery expression. Quite dry overall. Nut skin, roasty and earthy light hops finish. Could last a little longer perhaps. It really tastes like fresh and clean water was used. Incredible malt depth they have there. Gets even better as it warms, close to a 10 as far as taste is concerned, I guess just a bit more length would nail it. Polite medium to full body, high carbonation is at the limit of being too much. Stellar doppelbock that grows on you sips after sips. New developments and happenings every time. 2 thumbs up to Stephen and his neighbor for this unique chance!

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a dark copper clear color with a 4F head into a pilsner glass.
Nice looking beer.

The aroma is not as strong as other Doppelbocks- some figs and toffee- but mild.

Mouth feel is malty- relatively smooth and works well with this beer.

Taste: deeper than other Doppelbocks. More breadth, malt, figs.
There was too much bitterness in the finish for this style.

Overall- quite good, but there are other beers in the style I prefer. I like the deep malt-fig character, but the bitterness is too pronounced. I would prefer more malt, stronger fig in the aroma.
The bottle date was late December- perhaps the beer was past its prime. Nevertheless, quite good.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Thanks to the wonderful exbeastiefan for packing this back from Amsterdam for me. One of only a handful of my original wants from when I joined the site that I haven't had the pleasure of trying. Stoked.

Best by date 06/06/12. Poured a 500ml bottle into my Hennepin globe glass. This beer pours a mahogany brown,with a decent 1 inch head that leaves just a little lacing. The aroma is amazing. Huge notes of caramelized sugars. Toffee and toasted breads. Dates and figs cover just a hint of booze. Super complex nose. The flavor starts off with dark fruits. Dates with just a little prune. Brown sugar and caramel. Toast mingling with earthy hops. Just a tiny hint of booze as it warms. The mouthfeel is light and creamy with just a bit of dryness on the finish. Man, this a fantastic beer. I'm so glad I finally got to try it.

Very smooth drinking with less of that port wine, rummy taste characteristic of the style. I would still prefer a weizenbock but this is very good. Not too sweet, fully loaded with caramel and burnt sugar. I would rank this third behind EInbecker Winter Bock and Korbinian.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow, first beer to review with the new system. Also, first beer reviewed from Germany on a German kezboard, with the z and y switched, so here goes...

Appearance: lighter in color than I was expecting, more orange or garnet than deep and dark. Big off white head with good retention, but leaving little lacing.

Smell: dark fruits, toast, brown sugar... surprised by all the fruit, in a lager. no hint of smoke, which i love in ayinger's celebrator.

Taste: raisin, brown bread, bit of roast & toast, brown sugar. malt is the star, but there is enough hops bitterness to balance. never becomes cloying.

Mouthfeel: medium body, bordering on full. reasonable carbonation.

Drinkabilitz: I now have a second favorite Doppelbock. Glad to be in Bavaria at the moment, and looking forward to a brewery tour in a couple of days. Hopefully the beer there will be as good as this Andechs offering..

A-red almost gold color with s little bit of head

S-smells like decadent spent grain. Kind of inviting

T-a little bit of fruits mixed with a bunch of roast malty notes

M-medium body and oh so smooth and decadent

O-solid brew, Germans know his to make their beer...

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A huge ass thanks to Kev for sharing this one!!! Half a liter bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium ruby red color with two fingers of head that die off slowly, leaving a little bit of lacing. The smell is sweet and malty. Lots of caramel going on, with a slightly toasty aroma. Just the slightest bit of alcohol. Very full. The taste is smooth and malty. Both sweet and roasty, a perfect balance. Lots of biscuit malt in there. The harmony of flavors is unreal. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick, yet smooth as silk. The drinkability is deadly for a 7.1% brew. This is awesome.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs