Andechser Spezial Hell | Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Spezial HellAndechser Spezial Hell

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany | website

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Its clear gleaming look and firm, fine pored head goes hand in hand with its fresh and pure aroma. Malty nuances are the first impressions.

Spezial Hell is pleasantly tangy with a full, round malt body that cannot fail to fascinate. The soft flavour carries a distinctive balance of sweet accents and bitter hoppiness.

It concludes on equally soft malty nuances – a classical festival beer in the tradition of old Bavarian brewing.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-18-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 118
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Have had this beer many times from bottles obtained at Beer Festivals in UK, but last sampling was on tap at the Andechs Brewery Bar within the Deutscher Kaiser Hotel in Nuremberg in September 2006. On tap, is clear clean and medium gold colour, though not with a great head, thought tight fine white crisp, but did not last too long. Aroma is grassy crisp and sharp but at the same time slightly sweet, typical of the Andech's pale beers. Taste starts very slightly sweet and malty, but the hop bitterness gets you as it slips down the throat. The texture is a little heavier than a normal pilsner type beer, more body, maybe from the hints of malty sweetness in the start. I like this beer very much, it has everything that I like, though maybe at 5.9% a shade too potent for me personally to consider it a session beer - though would be happy to try! It is too long ago for me to be able to compare the taste on tap to that in the bottle, but I know I like it however it comes, and rate it as one of my favourite German beers from Andechs!!

cheers

JohnW
B'ham UK

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured on-tap at the Kloster Andechs...

Appearance: Pours a beautiful light and lively golden hue with a mouth wateringly inviting head.

Smell: Fairly middle-ground with a neutral kick of grassy, grainy, hoppy deliciousness. It leaves you to be surprised by it's delicious taste.

Taste: Utter beauty. This is by far the most drinkable and delicious of helles lagers I have tasted. My all-time favorite for this category. Worth a trip back just to get this beer alone.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation livens the palate along with the smooth highly drinkable consistency that is this oh so special beer.

Overall: A must have with a trip to the Holy Mountain! Alongside the plethora of beer that this monastery pumps out this is a good base for the magnificence that this place will bestow upon your taste buds. Gogogogo!!

4.26/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle bought from the monastery about a month and a half ago. This review may not be accurate because I am a little choked up when drinking this. The Andechs monastery is a beautiful place and I miss it.

Appearance is perfect. Golden with a stunning white head that blankets the beer the whole way down in my pilsner glass. Smell is very hoppy. Grassy hops dominate and are backed up by a strong bready smell - this is a doughy, freshly baked bread smell. Taste is more of the same. Malt is pleasantly sweeter than you would expect but is balanced very well by the grassy hops which are a little bit spicy at the end. Mouthfeel is outstanding as with the other Andechs beers. Crisp and refreshing, yet velvety at the same time. At least until close to the end of the glass, when the carbonation fails, which makes it a bit too watery.

I'm drinking by bottle too quickly :o(.

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

appearance: crystal clear, a pleasant rich head but not doughy, effervescent without being over bubbly

smell: straw smell with a bit of fruit on the sides, nice mix

taste: nice where can I start. First its smooth flavor of great rich malty sweetness. On the end is a nice bight but not too much. Really loving this flavor.

mouthfeel: bit weak wish it hung out a bit longer, but it is more of just a bitter flavor not the full Monty

overall: A good brew they made this one so you would want one after another. I like it definitely recommend to anyone

4.1/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer at the Monastery in Germany. A very cool place.

A. Large white head. The beer was golden and clear.

S. It had a nutty malt aroma. Very pleasing. It almost smelled sweet.

T. A very good representation of the style. A sweat malt flavor. It had a bready flavor. Very good.

M. This beer was very refreshing. Good carbonation and aftertaste. Not much hop bitterness.

D. Very drinkable. My wife and I polished off a few in a short time.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

A: dark yellow, but clear, not hazy in the least.

S: Malty, malty, malty. Bread, biscuits. Nothing really special.

T: Has a sweetness, with undertones obread. Slight bitterness, then finishes clean. Not a terrible taste, but not what I prefer from this style.

M: Slight carbination, not too much not too little. Actually the strongest part of this beer. Thin feel to it.

D: Not something I would seek out. I like other beers from this brewery. Compared to their other beers, this is in no way impressive at all.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

My german wife's birthday came, and shortly afterwards (late as usual) the parcel from Germany arrove, where her sister had compiled a nice bundle of goodies we cannot buy here. of course the main things were for my wife, but there was a gift for me, too: this beer!!!

I had Andechser quite often while in Germany, you could buy it even in the smallest small-town beverage store or supermarket. But I usually went for their outstanding Doppelbock. I never had this one before, and now I am glad that I had the chance to try it.

It poured very light-yellow ("hell" means just that, and the ending "-es" is just a grammtical bending due to the subject!), and its thick foam was almost white (not quite though).

The foam desolved very quickly, leaving just a tiny lacing on the glass.

The nose was promising, very fresh. But no tartness. Hm, shouldn't that be tart?

The fist taste was indeed very refreshing, a bit on the hoppy side.

Not much carbonation, that made it of course very smooth in the mouthfeel.

My wife and I shared this bottle, so each of us had a small glass of it. We both felt that, while this was a great beer compared to the american crap like BMC, this was not Andechser's best.

We've had their "crown", the Doppelbock, and after the winter holidays we had received a Bergbock Hell. THAT latter one was indeed outstanding and absolutely in the same league as its famous "brother", the Doppelbock.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about this Munich Helles.

Of course it is a very good beer, and there was nothing wrong with it. We just expect more from an Andechser, that's it.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer.

A - Pale Helles style beer
S - very little, to my nose
T - Fantastic. Slighty rich from the 5.9%, complimented very well by some solid hops.
M - In a way it's almost creamy smooth.
O - I'm very impressed, it is a lovely beer. I doubt I'd ever get tired of a couple of these a week!

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

This German brew is a deep golden clear color with a decent white head that vanished after about four drinks, lace was kind of thin. The aroma is of hops and malt. The taste is hops, malt and a bit grassy with a slightly bitter aftertaste. The mouth feel, I like-seems to be of good body with easy drinkability.

A pretty good beer overall, one that I can’t wait to get straight from the source.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

On my father's recommendation from his time in Munich many years ago, I visited the Andechs monastary and biergarten with a friend during a month-long tour of Europe this summer, and brought back a few half-liter bottles as a present for dad. He generously split this one with me.

It pours a straw yellow with an interesting mossy green tint, but the very small white head lasts only a few seconds and leaves behind hardly a trace. Warm and inviting, the sweet, hoppy, slightly sour aroma is evocative of pressed apples, oak, and cut grass. An uncomplicated taste of sour cider with a hint of malts refreshes perfectly, with a rich, satisfyingly hoppy finish and an ever-present fizz that never overpowers. It's all pretty subtle so make sure to drink it fairly warm if you want to catch any of the details.

An unassuming, really nice helles to relax with, if you can get your hands on it. I hope I can find another bottle before too long.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

The Germans are known for many things, but surely chief among them is an exacting, disciplined focus on technical pursuits, whether it's Bauhaus or automobiles. But BMW can't claim a monopoly on such successes--one needs look only a half an hour west of the ultimate driving machine's distinct headquarters to find a band of monks doing the lord's work by marrying German precision with beer.

The Andechs special helles is poured from the tap into a half-liter stein. It's a pale straw, crystal clear with a healthy head. Grains and honey, with just a hint of flowers, waft from the mug. A deep pull of the beer offers a slightly spicy (by German standards) bitterness and a crisp, sweet finish. It rolls in the mouth lightly and refreshingly--this is a beer you can spend a summer day drinking by the maß.

But in a Gestaltian sense, it's more than the mere components--it's perfectly balanced, expertly tuned, and a paragon of craftsmanship. It's simply one of the best beers in a country skilled in the art of brewing. It's as German as apple pie is American--and no less delicious

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last