Love Belgian Beer?

Spezial Rauchbier LagerSpezial Rauchbier Lager

Brauerei Spezial
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

Unser Lagerbier ist die bekannteste Rauchbiersorte aus unserem Spezialitätenangebot. Das bernsteinfarbige Bier mit seinem feinem, mildem Rauchgeschmack lässt auch Skeptiker zum überzeugten Rauchbierfan werden. Der Stammwürzgehalt dieses Bieres beträgt ca.12% - daraus resultiert der Alkoholgehalt mit ca.4,7%

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002

3.7

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 235 | Ratings: 288
2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

I loved the look in the pint glass. Gold in color, it was extremely bubbly. Insane actually, it just keeps on going with the bubbles. Very Euro style lager scent to it.

Vary chalky, smoky kind of taste to it. It was too burnt in my opinion. Tingles a bit on the tongue. Not a bad beer, it just doesn't do muc hfor me...but it looks cool.

2.67/5  rDev -27.8%

Bottled 02/09/2004. Honey gold and semi unclear. Can see sediment throughout it. Just the slightest bit of a white ring of dusty head. Only a touch of liquid smoke in the scent, but not much else, did catch an almost honey scent as it warmed. Fairly thin bodied with a bit of carbonation -not too much. Not as smokey as the other rauchs I have tried before, but there is a decent amount of liquid smoke in the background, it just is not too intense in the flavors. The smoke seems to be more in the aroma, and lingers in your mouth after the sip, you smell it on your breath heavily too. Seems funny to say the aroma lingers on your mouth... Mild flavors, mainly just malty with a touch of smoke, and a bit of darkened toast left in the back of the mouth. Interesting one to try.

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

It had a very average taste to it, almost like a light lager. I tasted very little smokiness which is what the Ruachbier style is know for. I had it at the Waterfront Ale House in Brooklyn which is known for a good selection of beers. Not worth what is paid to have it imported. It did also have a sweeter malt than expected.

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%

Well I am guessing I had the lager, since most everyone else has. I sampled a chilled 10 oz snifter at Kclingers on tap. I was excited for a rauchbier as I enjoy smokiness in my brew. I have to say I was let down.
The beer arrives with no head and is a cloudy orange color. Aroma is very mild with sweet fruit (apples and pears) dominant. No smoke that my nose can detect. No hops either. Much more mild than I expected and seems to be more of a belgian than a rauch.
Flavor is similar to nose, no smoke flavor is sweet and fruity apples pears and tangy yeast. I get some lemon and slightly spicy hops but again no smoke. DOnt get me wrong the beer is quite tasty, but I ordered what I thought was a smoke beer and it ended up tasting like a dubbel. ENjoyable beer but my marks are low due to lack of smoke.

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

after a review of an unnamed danish pachyderm beer left me completely dissatisfied, i cracked open a smoker i've had for a few weeks. prost to hopefulness.

A- deep clear rusty amber with many floating particles. foam is nice and creamy and beige with thick lace blanketing the inside of the glass.

S- hardly any smoke in the aroma, just the faintest touch, and overall it smells like an oktoberfest. something i definitely don't mind, but not what i had expected. mineral water, slightly metallic, sweet caramel malts, and underlying toasty aromas. floral spicy hops.

T- some very very mild cocoa, coffee, and roasted flavors, very toasty, but sadly not much smoke. pretty much a plain malty lager for me. some caramel sweetness and noble hop flavor in the finish.

MF- light carbonation and a powdery feel. ample body.

D- must be a bad day for beer in my world. 2 disappointments in a row and i'm about to just call it a night. maybe this bottle is old. i can't find a freshness date.

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%

On tap at the Moan & Dove, Amherst MA.

Poured a slightly cloudy bronze-copper with a weak beige head that fades away to nothing.

Smell was an unpleasant hay/horseblanket/manure. This is the first time I've truly understood the barnyard description I've seen for other beers. Another scent confused in there is the medicinal smell of a fresh package of band-aids.

Taste was, unfortunately for me, tied to the smell. There's some malt character in there, but I couldn't get away from the medicinal and barnyard qualities that took up residence in the back of my throat.

Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability suffered purely as a result of the taste.

Comments: Of the 6 people I had sip this, 4 agreed with me and 2 others thought it was really good. Of the two who liked it, one was smoking regularly that night and the other was drinking a Stone Russian Imperial Stout. For fun, I had a sip of the Stone Imp Russian and then tried some more of the Rauchbier: much better. The Stone killed the foul taste. Too bad the effect only lasted for about 3-4 sips. Maybe this is one of those beers/styles I'll have to try several times before finding out I actually love it. It will have to wait, though, as I won't be revisiting it anytime soon.

Wyll-

1.95/5  rDev -47.3%

Served from a bottle, slightly chilled into a tulip glass.

It pours an amber color with 2 fingers of fizzy lacey white head; very clean looking. Aroma is quite grainy w/ an almost lima bean aroma (yeah, really!), but not much aroma at all, and it reminded me almost of beef vegetable stew, and I HATE beef vegetable stew! Taste is a slight smoke flavor w/ a hickory meat taste (almost like beef jerky), some grainy malts, and very little hops...overall, i was not happy. Feel is tingly carbonation on the sip followed by a thinning feel by the swallow; not much else going on. This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had...honestly!

1.83/5  rDev -50.5%

Consumed in October 2004 at the Toronado on tap. Well, for starters, this apparently isn't my type of beer, which makes it really hard to review. I'm not a fan of smoked beers, as I was not aware that this type of beer was smoked. So, I apologize to all smoked beer lovers for the low rating I am going to give. I guess it's just one of those aquired taste beers. Just like I love IPA to the max beers, others can't tolerate them. OK....Poured a brownish, reddish hazy color with virtually zero head whatever. It left next to no lace also. The smell was a bit pungent. I've always read the reviews of "barnyard" type scents and never understood. Now I have a bit of an understanding. UGH, didn't enjoy the taste at all. Mainly because of the smoky overtones. Next to zero carbonation and tasted like a pair of used sweatsocks that have been soaking in some aged iced tea. Sorry, but not my kind of beer. I'm sure it's a perfectly good one for the smoked beer fans out there though. So, pay no attention to my rating unless you dislike smoked beers like I do.

1.79/5  rDev -51.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish to copper color with a white head. In the aroma, a small hint of smoke and a smell of sweet tea. In the taste, small dry smoke and a hint of sweet tea maltiness. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry tea like aftertaste. Light smoke and a big presence of sweet tea malt and a hint of lemon.

1.2/5  rDev -67.6%

500ml Bottle (Good Spirits Co, Glasgow - £2.80):
Clear, mild looking amber with a thin white lacing on top that is about two millimetres tall before turning patchy.

A disgusting combination to smoked wood and an overpowering cured ham aroma that isn't unlike smoky bacon crisps. There was a few malts coming through but it smelts truly appalling, probably the worst I've ever smelt.

Smoky wood and some lingering malts with some spice but again the overriding taste was a cured ham one that was disgusting and pretty much undrinkable. Not quite as bad as the smell but awful none the less.

Smooth & medium bodied with some spice. Very had to be unbiased here as the taste was so bad that the mouthfeel was never going to turn around the beers fortunes.

Definitely the worst tasting beer I've ever tried although perhaps not the absolute worst overall. About five different people at a party tried a sip of this and all formed similar opinions, this one was drain pour pure and simple.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last