Hop Hog

SCORE
Outstanding
Hop HogHop Hog
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 4.35 by yanz_23

Nov 09, 2019

Rated: 4.5 by Fawx from Australia

Jan 01, 2019
Rated by shiu-chan from Singapore

Clear Amber
Pineapple, citrus, hoppy nose
Smooth, fresh amd hoppy with floral backtone.
Great Brew enjoyable with or without food.
Oct 06, 2018

Rated: 4.02 by sirsteve42 from New York

Mar 05, 2018
Reviewed by stevoj from Idaho

3.71/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Bottle picked up in Buselton. Nice East Coast style IPA, mild hoppiness and clean malt profile. Amber body with small airy beige head. Mellow hoppy bitter finish.
Feb 27, 2018

Rated: 4.34 by Stockatron from Australia

Sep 22, 2017
Reviewed by patre_tim from Thailand

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
Copper and hazy, with a few slow rising, small bubbles. Topped with a half finger of off white head.

Smells of oranges, caramel and pine, and a garlic, onion dankness, reminding me of a farm yard. Also very sweet on the nose.

Wow. Ok, now I know why this is Australia's top rated brew. Amazing punch of flavours which hit hard and finish fast. Its a fruit salad of oranges, melons, blueberries, and strawberries. They all chime in together, then go, leaving a slightly watery freshness, and a grapefruit pith bitterness. A solid caramel backbone as well.

Light feeling, but perfectly substantial, moderate, almost soda like carbonation.

Got this one in Australind, SW Australia, drinking it tonight in Perth. Excellent brew. A little weak in the middle of the palate, but maybe its an older bottle I got. Really solid flavours and body, its making a solid impression on me. August 21st, 2017.
Aug 21, 2017

Rated: 3.85 by jebrew from Maine

Oct 26, 2016

Rated: 3.79 by SlightlyGrey from Minnesota

Sep 24, 2016
Rated by dan_johnston from Canada (ON)

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
Big tasting Pale Ale, everything you want in an ipa under 6%
Aug 30, 2016

Rated: 4.7 by Buklen from Australia

Aug 04, 2016
Rated by JpErhard from Maryland

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
Fruity and pint. Good balance. Great taste!
Jul 17, 2016
Reviewed by Beerbogan from Australia

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
I really liked this IPA really well made, malt balanced the hop hit. Really impressed with the upfront clean flavours and hop flavour. Only minor down to me is that the ending was a little out of balance and harsh (by a very very minor amount still one of the best I have had). I love a finish which smooths out which only a few IPAs manage (fresh dogfish head). I will be going back to this beer many many times however.
May 10, 2016

Rated: 3.95 by alew_os from Canada (BC)

Apr 10, 2016

Rated: 4.31 by mmosey from Massachusetts

Feb 08, 2016

Rated: 3.6 by snowmageddon from Massachusetts

Jan 01, 2016

Rated: 4.21 by Boozecamel from Canada (BC)

Nov 12, 2015

Rated: 4.27 by Refloosh from Australia

Oct 29, 2015

Rated: 4.53 by MattwyLee from Hong Kong

Sep 08, 2015
Rated by Travis_Johnson_of_FREO from Australia

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
Simple the best ipa produced in w.a
I can not get enough of this.
Aug 12, 2015
Reviewed by neutralbullet from Australia

4.84/5  rDev +15%
Wow... just wow.
I'm very new to the entire beer scene in general, this being my first review and I feel little amongst MEN.. lol but I feel I need to shout our this beer first as I believe after sampling over 50 beers so far, this is BY FAR.. the best IPA in Australia I've had so far... even if find better, this will remain a favorite!

It's just balanced. That's it. You can session it (well I can..) no problem. Which might be an issue at 5.8abv but who cares! :) I wish I had 10 more sitting in front of me right now... they would be scared.. very scared!

I'm a newbie so what do I know about taste right?
but I'll give my 2c anyways..
look =4 cos I think it could be much danker than it currently looks. maybe on tap it's different? idk
smell=5 ooo yeh! that was the first thing that I noticed.... I was like.. wow.. that smells nice. I hope it tastes that good.. very fruity but not over the top.
taste=5 well I can't rate any lower, .. what else do I know :)
feel=5 it feel nice. reeeeeal nice!
over the all...=4.5 as I suspect there is probably much better.. I know there is better right? why else would it score only a 91.. damn I can't wait to try a Treehouse beer....... maybe one day...
Aug 08, 2015

Rated: 4.35 by jjdunce from Australia

Jul 25, 2015
Reviewed by WoodBrew from Ohio

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4
The Hop Hog is very good....can compete with US West Coaster IPAs. It poured a clear golden with thin white head that is leaving a nice lace down the glass. The scent is bitter with touches of pine. The taste is very well balanced with slight bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall a very good beer....worth a try.
Jun 20, 2015
Reviewed by Andrewharemza from Australia

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
With the addition of a heavy dose of American Hops during both during the boil and late in the fermenting stage, Hop Hog produces a strong pine needle and citrus aroma, followed by an aggressive bitterness and a dry finish.
Jun 19, 2015
Reviewed by Bearded_beer_guy_ from Australia

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
Format: Standard brown 330 ml brown bottle in to 250 ml snifter.

Look: Bottle looks great. Indie retro look label appeals to all ages.
Pours a hazy dark amber. 1 full thumb of head that persists for quite a while.
I'm getting excited.

Smell: Interesting smell. Citrus, malt and biscuit. Not overpowering considering its an IPA.

Taste: As above. Not so much citrus on the pallet as biscuit and malt. Leaves a fantastic aftertaste in the back of your face.

Feel: smooth, almost creamy. Not cloying at all. Lays thick on your tongue and you can feel the 5.8 ABV.

Overall: I cant fault anything about this beer except maybe they've surely brewed this as a session IPA and due to personal preference I love a Strong, over hopped IPA. Beautiful brew though.
Jun 17, 2015
Rated by GarthT from Hong Kong

Good deep gold colour. Citrus but a bit musty on the nose. Palate is quite dank, full but murky. Perhaps a poor bottle.
May 10, 2015

Rated: 3.92 by benjaminkhlaw from Hong Kong

May 10, 2015

Rated: 4.12 by NorCalAussie from California

May 01, 2015
Reviewed by Marc280 from Australia

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25
It pours nice and clear with a light golden colour. Nothing too special about the look, the real thing to remember about this beer is the smell. Beautiful citrus hop aromas that probably smell even better than it tastes. Not that the taste is bad a all again the citrus flavours come through strongly. It isn't overly bitter, there is some malty sweetness that comes through before the hops come for a second visit. I'm a fan and would have it again.
Apr 24, 2015
Hop Hog from Feral Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 93 out of 100 with 152 ratings