Hop Hog | Feral Brewing Co.

Hop HogHop Hog

Liked:
4.22/5
Alströms:

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Copper and hazy, with a few slow rising, small bubbles. Topped with a half finger of off white head.

Smells of oranges, caramel and pine, and a garlic, onion dankness, reminding me of a farm yard. Also very sweet on the nose.

Wow. Ok, now I know why this is Australia's top rated brew. Amazing punch of flavours which hit hard and finish fast. Its a fruit salad of oranges, melons, blueberries, and strawberries. They all chime in together, then go, leaving a slightly watery freshness, and a grapefruit pith bitterness. A solid caramel backbone as well.

Light feeling, but perfectly substantial, moderate, almost soda like carbonation.

Got this one in Australind, SW Australia, drinking it tonight in Perth. Excellent brew. A little weak in the middle of the palate, but maybe its an older bottle I got. Really solid flavours and body, its making a solid impression on me. August 21st, 2017.

4.71/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Big tasting Pale Ale, everything you want in an ipa under 6%

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

Fruity and pint. Good balance. Great taste!

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I really liked this IPA really well made, malt balanced the hop hit. Really impressed with the upfront clean flavours and hop flavour. Only minor down to me is that the ending was a little out of balance and harsh (by a very very minor amount still one of the best I have had). I love a finish which smooths out which only a few IPAs manage (fresh dogfish head). I will be going back to this beer many many times however.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Simple the best ipa produced in w.a
I can not get enough of this.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow... just wow.
I'm very new to the entire beer scene in general, this being my first review and I feel little amongst MEN.. lol but I feel I need to shout our this beer first as I believe after sampling over 50 beers so far, this is BY FAR.. the best IPA in Australia I've had so far... even if find better, this will remain a favorite!

It's just balanced. That's it. You can session it (well I can..) no problem. Which might be an issue at 5.8abv but who cares! :) I wish I had 10 more sitting in front of me right now... they would be scared.. very scared!

I'm a newbie so what do I know about taste right?
but I'll give my 2c anyways..
look =4 cos I think it could be much danker than it currently looks. maybe on tap it's different? idk
smell=5 ooo yeh! that was the first thing that I noticed.... I was like.. wow.. that smells nice. I hope it tastes that good.. very fruity but not over the top.
taste=5 well I can't rate any lower, .. what else do I know :)
feel=5 it feel nice. reeeeeal nice!
over the all...=4.5 as I suspect there is probably much better.. I know there is better right? why else would it score only a 91.. damn I can't wait to try a Treehouse beer....... maybe one day...

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

The Hop Hog is very good....can compete with US West Coaster IPAs. It poured a clear golden with thin white head that is leaving a nice lace down the glass. The scent is bitter with touches of pine. The taste is very well balanced with slight bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall a very good beer....worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With the addition of a heavy dose of American Hops during both during the boil and late in the fermenting stage, Hop Hog produces a strong pine needle and citrus aroma, followed by an aggressive bitterness and a dry finish.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Format: Standard brown 330 ml brown bottle in to 250 ml snifter.

Look: Bottle looks great. Indie retro look label appeals to all ages.
Pours a hazy dark amber. 1 full thumb of head that persists for quite a while.
I'm getting excited.

Smell: Interesting smell. Citrus, malt and biscuit. Not overpowering considering its an IPA.

Taste: As above. Not so much citrus on the pallet as biscuit and malt. Leaves a fantastic aftertaste in the back of your face.

Feel: smooth, almost creamy. Not cloying at all. Lays thick on your tongue and you can feel the 5.8 ABV.

Overall: I cant fault anything about this beer except maybe they've surely brewed this as a session IPA and due to personal preference I love a Strong, over hopped IPA. Beautiful brew though.

Good deep gold colour. Citrus but a bit musty on the nose. Palate is quite dank, full but murky. Perhaps a poor bottle.

Hop Hog from Feral Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 92.1% out of 100 with 140 ratings