Hop Hog

Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 152 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Decko:
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice light hazy honey colour out of the bottle. Decent head with bit of lacing. Beautiful hoppy aromas dominate the smell with some citrus. Taste has a subtle nice malty sweetness before the bitter hop kick which is what lingers on the palate. Good carbonation and refreshing feel in the mouth before those hops pull your mouth back a little over your teeth. Overall a really good American IPA with full flavour and memorable hop levels. Definitely one I would have (and have) again.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow... just wow.
I'm very new to the entire beer scene in general, this being my first review and I feel little amongst MEN.. lol but I feel I need to shout our this beer first as I believe after sampling over 50 beers so far, this is BY FAR.. the best IPA in Australia I've had so far... even if find better, this will remain a favorite!

It's just balanced. That's it. You can session it (well I can..) no problem. Which might be an issue at 5.8abv but who cares! :) I wish I had 10 more sitting in front of me right now... they would be scared.. very scared!

I'm a newbie so what do I know about taste right?
but I'll give my 2c anyways..
look =4 cos I think it could be much danker than it currently looks. maybe on tap it's different? idk
smell=5 ooo yeh! that was the first thing that I noticed.... I was like.. wow.. that smells nice. I hope it tastes that good.. very fruity but not over the top.
taste=5 well I can't rate any lower, .. what else do I know :)
feel=5 it feel nice. reeeeeal nice!
over the all...=4.5 as I suspect there is probably much better.. I know there is better right? why else would it score only a 91.. damn I can't wait to try a Treehouse beer....... maybe one day...

3.71/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle picked up in Buselton. Nice East Coast style IPA, mild hoppiness and clean malt profile. Amber body with small airy beige head. Mellow hoppy bitter finish.

Photo of
4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured a pale golden orange with a small bright white head. This beer is very clear with a little lacing.

On the nose it's all about the passionfruit, in fact it reminds me of the soft drink 'passiona'. When you delve deeper into the beer pineapple, resin and biscuit becomes apparent.

The beer is really 'juicy', almost like punch. There's citrus, some pine bitterness, more passionfruit - it's really delicious. Perhaps a little sweet, I would prefer a little more dryness.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer, and have enjoyed it many times before. Easily the best ipa made in Australia

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Copper and hazy, with a few slow rising, small bubbles. Topped with a half finger of off white head.

Smells of oranges, caramel and pine, and a garlic, onion dankness, reminding me of a farm yard. Also very sweet on the nose.

Wow. Ok, now I know why this is Australia's top rated brew. Amazing punch of flavours which hit hard and finish fast. Its a fruit salad of oranges, melons, blueberries, and strawberries. They all chime in together, then go, leaving a slightly watery freshness, and a grapefruit pith bitterness. A solid caramel backbone as well.

Light feeling, but perfectly substantial, moderate, almost soda like carbonation.

Got this one in Australind, SW Australia, drinking it tonight in Perth. Excellent brew. A little weak in the middle of the palate, but maybe its an older bottle I got. Really solid flavours and body, its making a solid impression on me. August 21st, 2017.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle: standard 330mL brown bottle, pretty rubbish label. At least it's different though.

Appearance: pours a hazy orange amber with a thick off-white head. Good retention and decent, patchy lacing. Enticing to say the least.

Aroma: up-front strong aromas of tropical fruit hops - lychee, mangoes and peaches. A hint of bread malts rounds out the aroma.

Taste: follows the nose, with an expected whack of citrus hops. Again, the bread malts back up the big hop flavours somewhat.

Aftertaste: astringency starts to cut across, but the American IPA levels of hops sorts it out.

Mouth feel: medium carbonation, with a thicker body.

Overall: quite a decent IPA, not quite as overdone as a lot of the American IPAs. Quite expensive though, at AU$80 a case. Take it or leave it, I suppose :)

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hop Hog from Feral Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 93 out of 100 with 152 ratings