Hop Hog | Feral Brewing Co.

Hop HogHop Hog

Feral Brewing Co.
Australia

Style: American IPA

Added by brendan13 on 07-06-2008

I stumbled onto this beer in Perth, Western Australia. It was the best IPA I'd had after a month of touring Australia.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%

Wow... just wow.
I'm very new to the entire beer scene in general, this being my first review and I feel little amongst MEN.. lol but I feel I need to shout our this beer first as I believe after sampling over 50 beers so far, this is BY FAR.. the best IPA in Australia I've had so far... even if find better, this will remain a favorite!

It's just balanced. That's it. You can session it (well I can..) no problem. Which might be an issue at 5.8abv but who cares! :) I wish I had 10 more sitting in front of me right now... they would be scared.. very scared!

I'm a newbie so what do I know about taste right?
but I'll give my 2c anyways..
look =4 cos I think it could be much danker than it currently looks. maybe on tap it's different? idk
smell=5 ooo yeh! that was the first thing that I noticed.... I was like.. wow.. that smells nice. I hope it tastes that good.. very fruity but not over the top.
taste=5 well I can't rate any lower, .. what else do I know :)
feel=5 it feel nice. reeeeeal nice!
over the all...=4.5 as I suspect there is probably much better.. I know there is better right? why else would it score only a 91.. damn I can't wait to try a Treehouse beer....... maybe one day...

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional beer.

After returning home to Australia from many years spent in North America, it was very disappointing not having access to top tier IPA's whenever I wanted. This is the only beer (IMO) that comes close to those in North America.

Very similar taste, smell and feel to that of Fat Tug IPA.

Highly recommended.

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer!
Worthy of being known as one of the best beers to come out of Australia

Beautiful strong aroma of citrus and melon

Appearance - standard - head retention wasn't great but was out of a bottle so could be better the next bottle I open and obviously would be different off tap.

taste - melon, citrus, orange marmalade, spice and slight honey all come to mind and are all well balanced with a nice bitterness to finish it.

Overall - a great beer that is well balanced and extremely tasty and enjoyable - very sessionable!

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Pours a cloudy mid orange with a thick, creamy white head that lasts the distance. One unbroken sheet of lacing encases the glass.

S - Gorgeous tropical fruit hop pungency, mango, passionfruit, pine. Slight bready malt in the back.

T - Follows the nose, big citrusy hops dominate a lesser malt profile, which is overshadowed to a degree but not forgotten. The hops are what I'm after though and this bastard delivers the good stuff.

M - Beautiful full creamy body, moderate carbonation.

O - I thank the world that I have year round access to this sweet nectar and am able to call it my go-to regular.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Simple the best ipa produced in w.a
I can not get enough of this.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow! Lives up to the hype for sure.

Middle of the road appearance where others come up a bit too dark.

Great citrus hoppy aroma which is absolutely backed up with bitterness. A very good example of the style and very well add.

Stoked that the New Sydney was able to score a few kegs and no surprise that is the place I get to have my first Hop Hog. Excellent.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, a masterpiece! Incredibly well done!! Poured at a good temperature with a thick, foamy, long lasting, off-white head and some lace. Color is a clear amber with bubble trails. Aroma is fresh hops with pine and grapefruit but not massively along with malt and caramel. Flavor's like nose, with malt sweet, hop bitter, carbonic tang all in harmony. Plus no off qualities. Body/carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, with an average taper, super easy to drink. Have to get more!!

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer pours a deep see thur copper hue with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger creamy head with very nice sticky lacing,the aroma is outstanding straight out pine needles,passionfruit and lychee,the taste of this is definately worth the visit here it starts off with a very nice above average creamy mouthfeel with a pleasant stonefruity start and finishes with a nice hint of gentle passionfruit flavoured bitterness,this is is definately a standout beer and makes me feel proud of the way this country is headed mircobrew wise way and my only real complaint is that it is not bottled.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is very enjoyable and the closest I have found in Australia to Lagunitas IPA (my all time favourite). I pour my IPAs in a glass as I think the aroma will be lost if drank straight from the bottle. It has a nice honey colour that becomes quickly cloudy from the yeast found in the bottle. I would have liked this one filtered but I don't think the yeast detracts from the beer at all.

The bold malts are almost completely fermented allowing for a nice balance with the bittering hops and a pleasant bitter aftertaste without being too overpowering. The aromatic hops have a great deep citrus and pine aroma that is very pungent. The dry hopping is done well.

Overall a great beer and to date my favourite Aussie.

Hop Hog from Feral Brewing Co.