Smoked Porter | Feral Brewing Co.

good
Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Feral Brewing Co.
Australia

Style: American Porter

Added by brendan13 on 12-05-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.89/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

First appearance it looks like it will be a strong, in your face beer. It's actually a light refreshing porter that is great with red meat. It has great aromas, chocolate, coffee and a slight smoke after taste. A good beer to try if you don't want a hoppy beer.

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Trying this one at Harts Pub in Sydney. I want to give high marks...but I cant. It poured an almost opaque dark with white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent has some smoke...as well as something else that I can't identify. The taste is a mix of some and coffee....not in a good way. The Mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's worth a try but not overly great.

3.12/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.76/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm a little disappointed, not because the quality of the beer is at fault but there is little to no smokiness. The slight bit of smokiness I can smell tends to lean towards the malt anyway. Other than that, it is a decent beer. Nothing to write home about but if you're looking for a solid beer not a bad option. Having said that, there are about 10 others I can think of that are readily available that I would get before this one.

3.34/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This rich brew has a very gentle bitterness that combines the iconic milk chocolate malt with accented mocha notes. Those who like a fuller bodied beer will no doubt be fans, but this is a great way to introduce beers with a little bit more flavour and character into your beer.

3.14/5  rDev -10%

Pours with minimal head that quickly fades and a dark coffee type colour. The look is nothing special although the smell is where it gets a little more interesting. Initially strong smoky smells that tend to fade as you drink where I get coffee smells and taste. I don't really get the malt backbone advertised on the bottle and almost findtaste and feel a bit watery. The carbonation seems quite low but works for the beer. Overall a good beer to try once but I think there are better ones that will get my money in the future.

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark coffee brown with a minimal head which dissipates quickly. A pleasing coffee scent with perhaps a bit of the smoke or hop aromas coming through. The coffee bitterness comes through most strongly for me with the dark malty sweetness balancing it a little. The main biggest deficiency for me is the lack of any real body. The colour and aromas promise something a little more substantial than is delivered and although carbonation is fine I felt something heavier or more satisfying would be delivered. Overall an ok beer. Easy enough to drink but I wouldn't buy it again given the number of better options available.

4.02/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Good color, almost black, minimal head retention and lacing
Nuttiness and caramel malt and smoke - enough to know it is there, but not overpowering
Roasted notes with a nice smoky kick. Absolutely puts me in mind of a Rauchbier - I wish they had pushed this a bit more and really gone for the full on smoke profile (but I understand it would be too much for most people)
A bit light in the body, but carbonation is spot on

Overall a super solid beer - if you are new to craft you might find this challenging but this is a great example of what a darker beer can be with the addition of a bit of smoked malt. Would like a bit more body to balance things out (as others have said it is a touch watery) but otherwise I really like this

3.72/5  rDev +6.6%

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

Review from notes. Poured from 330 ml bottle. Looked the part: dark, low carbonation, slightly oily texture. The taste was a let down for me - the smoked bacon flavour was too over powering. Try it for a novelty, but I wouldn't touch it again.

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%

This is a bit of an adventurous bottle for me, as this beer is currently unavailable in my home province of Alberta, making this a real treat for me. Thanks to my old liquor slinging friend Charles for bringing this back for me from kangaroo land.

My first observation is that the bottle is nice, with a bunch of graffiti-ish writing on the label with a cool texture to it that I don't think I've encountered so far in a beer bottle. It's a minor thing, but it's pretty neat. The beer itself pours a smooth black with maybe half a centimetre of head. The aroma isn't too mindblowing, although it's got some subtle coffee smell going on.

I'm not a big fan of porters in general, although I found the taste of this one to be quite nice. I've had many porters that are pretty monotonous in their taste, usually just coming off as an alcoholic iced coffee of sorts. This one is much deeper, as the smokiness does come out noticeably, and it's got a bitterness to it that is immediately evident, yet surprisingly not off putting. It finishes really smooth with not much carbonation at all, which is pretty typical of most porters I've had. Overall, a really nice drink that I'd gladly shell out a few dollarydoos on if it was sold up here.

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

3.63/5  rDev +4%

After the glorious Hop Hog, and several more decent Feral brews I am looking forward to their Smoked Porter. One thing I’ve noticed with Feral is that they don’t muck around, if it says hops on the label - you’ll be getting a truck load. That said I am rather ambivalent about smoke beers, I can appreciate them but they aren’t really my cup of tea. Anyway take what I say in this review with a grain of salt, [insert several other well-known phrases here].

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: This porter has a pleasing, well for porters at least, deep dark murky brown (almost black actually) body with a spot on 1cm tan head that goes down with the glass like a good pint of Guinness.

S: A nice hickory smoke is at the forefront of the nose, followed by your classic porter characters; roast coffee, molasses, chocolate and a slight tobacco note. Is it a good aroma? Yes, but not great, it’s lacking in a bit more complexity to make it great.

T: The smoke is again upfront but not as strong as expected, indeed the flavour is much more rounded with; hickory smoke, roast coffee, chocolate, tobacco, and some sweet molasses giving the profile a touch of sweetness. The finish also ends on a background earthy hop note that provides some bitterness as well.

M: Mid to light, and slightly watery, bodied with light carbonation.

D: Overall this makes a good entry into smoked beers if you’ve never tried them as the smokiness isn’t a dominating feature in the flavour, in fact it settles rather well after a few sips and gives the drinker a chance to savour the smoke. Although the wateriness wasn’t extreme it really was the only bad point I could find with this rather excellent brew, great work again Feral!

Food match: Some roasted pork knuckle would kill with this brew, maybe it’s because their label has a wild boar on it but that was the first thing to spring to mind while drinking this. For vegetarians BBQ grilled portabello mushrooms and some bold cheeses would also work well.

3.41/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle: standard 330mL brown bottle, typical Feral Brewing label. So, okay.

Appearance: poured into a tulip, which turned out to be a mistake. A gently pour caused the second-most enormous head explosion ever (the first being Henry Ford's Girthsome Fjord). One an even gentler pour, a great two-fingered tan head jumps up and settles to a half-finger, extremely rocky and creamy head. Little visible carbonation through the heavy brown body. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma: initially a very strong, almost rauchbier aroma without much else. After the beer settled somewhat, there are some roast malts and chocolate.

Taste: not being a big fan of rauchbiers, I was a bit hesitant when approaching this beer. As it turns out it is actually pretty darn good - there is definitely plenty of smoke flavour, but those malt and chocolate flavours come through a bit stronger also.

Aftertaste: plenty of bitterness from the hops and the roast malts come through in the aftertaste. Quite nice.

Mouth feel: quite a thin body for a porter, though the carbonation is about right.

Overall: an intense hit of that smoked flavour up front, but once the beer settled it just added a nice extra element. I will admit I am still getting used to the rauchbier and smoked porter style, but this was very drinkable.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Smoked Porter from Feral Brewing Co.