Tumbleweed IPA | Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company
Montana, United States
lewisandclarkbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by beernut7 on 08-19-2002

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%

First of all, the fact that beer can be made from tumbleweeds is impressive in itself and enough to get me to try the beer in the first place. I'm all for invention. What surprised me though was actually how conventional the beer was. It tasted like I would expect an IPA to taste. Despite the slightly mysterious advertised ingredient, there weren't any mysterious or puzzling flavors to speak of. It was pleasantly bitter in a slight way and had a hint of the pine taste I've noticed in many of the beers from the Pacific Northwest or Maine. I'm sure most people would try the first one for the novelty factor of experimenting with something new, but drink a second one (as I did) for the comfort factor of enjoying a drink you already know.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can picked up on my Montana travels... Pours a hazy orange/amber with a nice long lasting head... Overall this is an excellent IPA with a pervasive pithy citrus hoppiness in the aroma and the flavor, but it also has a pretty heavy malt presence including some background caramel malt that I personally think distracts from the hops. I like my IPA's more hop forward and the malt playing 2nd fiddle... But my tastes aside, this is a damn good beer.

3.75/4/3.75/3.75/3.75

3.84/5  rDev -8.8%

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nice and robust IPA with a little citrus cutting through the predominantly earthy aromas. Taste is primarily grassy and piney, with a decent hop bite. Big, crisp mouthfeel for the ABV.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

3.96/5  rDev -5.9%

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

Special thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for delivering us this beer.

A: Two fingers of pillowy cream head top a perfectly clear amber coloured brew with plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Constant streams of tight carbonation flow to the top.

S: Upfront scents of pine sap along with grass, sweet malts and carmonalized orange peels.

T: Pronounced hoppy notes of citrus peels, oranges and lemons, at the front end that leads to middles notes of alcohol esters and maltiness. Finishes is a pleasant lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish.

O: This is a very tasty pine forward ipa that provides an excellent balance between hoppiness and maltiness notes. Worth seeking out.

On tap 6/11/10 upstairs at the brewpub.

A bit cloudy looking brew, (unfiltered)? medium amber brew.

Has a full fresh aroma, layers of hop goodness keeps me pulling breaths through my nasal passage.

Great tasty almost chewy beer. There is a thickness that is excellently drinkable here. I wanted to order my second before I finished the first.
For being a hefty brew this beer is so easy to drink, I would suggest this to anyone IPA drinker or not. I love hops, espeacially when they stand out to be noticed. This beer isn't a huge hoppy IPA but this beer finds the perfect hop over malt balance.
If your able to get this brew, do yourself a favor and indulge.

Tumbleweed IPA from Lewis & Clark Brewing Company