Tumbleweed IPA | Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company
Montana, United States
lewisandclarkbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by beernut7 on 08-19-2002

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Honey colored body with a thick, foamy white head. Bold pine and citrus hop aromas and a nice touch of floral notes in the background. Juicy, malty flavors; orange and lemon drops; mild malt notes lurk in the rear; a wonderful buildup of hop bitterness raises slowly through taste and provides a nice, low-key hop bitterness at the finish. Medium bodied; semi-dry finish.

This beer is a hop head's delight. The aroma and flavors just pop with juicy citrus fruit goodness. The malts definitely take a back seat to things yet do there part to add balance and body to the end product. The hop varieties used to create this beauty truly shine and create a very memorable ale experience.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

4.98/5  rDev +20.6%

First off, what a fantastic brew.

I went to the source itself, their newly renovated taproom, and tried out the Tumbleweed as well as their seasonal Red.

The appearance was between amber and gold (just the right amount of caramel malts to give it some color) with a nice frothy head that left good lacings throughout the glass. Amazingly brite for being, I believe, an unfiltered IPA.

Smell was floral and fruity with prominent citrus notes and a touch of sweet malt.

The taste was fantastic. One of the the more balanced IPAs I've had in a while. A solid malt backbone with loads of citrus and floral hop character. Just a touch of earthiness and a bitter finish, leaving the palate ready for another swill. Mouthfeel was a tad on the heavy side for my personal preference, but right there with what an IPA should be, especially around 6.5ABV.

Overall, Lewis and Clark has done an outstanding job with this IPA and it comes as no surprise that is is one of their best sellers in the can. River season here I come! I'll be bringing a few of these along too!

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Yep that's right my first all 5 rating on a beer. It just deserves it plain and simple.

It is such a balanced IPA that I could see myself drinking it everyday for the rest of my life (if I lived in Montana I guess). I have had hoppier, maltier and more aggressive IPAs (and I enjoy them) but this darn beer just satisfies can after can (lucky to get a case thanks to @winnipegbeergeek).

There are times that I want those extreme IPAs but for my meat & potatoes give me Tumbleweed IPA 3 meals a day!

I love the rich amber color (too many IPAs look like blondes nowadays), the beautiful floral nose and upfront bitterness that just barely lingers after you take a drink.

I can see why this beer is "Montana's Most Award Winning IPA" (from their website)

Cheers to the people responsible for giving me this feeling 24 times I hope to make a trip there next summer and I will be driving so I can load up, even if that means I pay the duty at customs, it will be worth it!

Tumbleweed IPA from Lewis & Clark Brewing Company