Last Drop Brewhouse Wheat | Last Drop Brewery

Added by rastaman on 02-29-2004

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3/5  rDev 0%

Listed as a Bohemian style wheat beer at the Brisbane festival of beers. Don't know what they mean by "Bohemian style Wheat beer", didn't know ther was such a thing, maybe they meant Bavarian? Anyway, it wasn't too bad, some banana esters, clove etc, in a lotof ways a typical German Wheat, only crisper and slightly more fizzy. One of the better Wheat beers i've sampled from and Aussie brewer.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

I'll admit straight out that I was served this beer with a slice of lemon, which I forgot not to ask for. I promptly fished it out, reducing its impact on the beer.

Appearance - 4.0
The citric acid of the lemon reduced the head to a thin layer, but it had good retention. Body is a cloudy straw colour. The lady who poured the beer apologised that it was not filtered, which I immediately told her was a good thing!

Smell - 4.0
Mild, pleasant and wheaty with a little banana, clove and citrus (most likely from the lemon).

Taste - 4.0
Soft bready malt with banana and clove. I would say the lemon actually improves the beer, giving it tartness for balance.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Smooth, carbonation is fine almost the the point of being creamy.

Drinkability - 4.0
A great session beer.

OVERALL - 4
I think a re-review may be in order, because I believe the lemon being in the beer for a few seconds actually improved it. Great hefeweizen's like Weihenstephaner have so much flavour and complexity that they are spoiled by the addition of lemon, but this beer is simpler (but still very good) with the slight fault of being a little too soft, which was remedied by the tart lemon. I suppose this means I will have to drink it again, but believe me, I am not complaining!

Edit: I have recently drank a few pints of the regular, unfiltered beer without the lemon slice. A good kristallweizen, but only a little better than Redback, not quite up there with Weihenstephaner.
A - 3
S - 3.5
T - 4
M - 4
D - 4
Overall - 3.7

Last Drop Brewhouse Wheat from Last Drop Brewery