Steinlager | New Zealand Breweries Limited

steinlager.co.nz

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002

2.2/5  rDev -22.8%

Smallish green bottle, no freshness notes, this one pours very light, very clear and very grassy/skunky in the nose. Snow white head, a few sips and its clear that this is the dreaded pissy yellow Euro macro pale lager piss water that most of us hate. No big suprise that most of this ended up down the drain instead of down the hatch. Spend your money on better beer then this...

2.85/5  rDev 0%

Looked and poured a very lager like yellow. Very little head to speak of. Smell of slight skunk probably due to the green bottle syndrome. Slight hint of malt followed by sharp bite from the hops. Finishes quite clean and would make a nice summer time lager served cold if you could find a fresh pack.

2.26/5  rDev -20.7%

A fizzy yellow beer. Need I say more? Exactly what it is supposed to be. Good head retention at about 1/2-1 finger, and good lacing. Crystal clear gold and fizzy this beer fits the style quite well.

Aroma is very clean, a little bit of some hop character in there, reminds me of the skunky hop character in many pils, though this beer is not a pils. Has a pretty potent aroma, as well as a small amount of malt character in the back of this brew's nose. Though it is somewhat reminiscent of a pils(hops) it reminds me even more of some shitty macros-BMC, or something along those lines. Aroma is what is expected from a Euro Pale Lager....though I can't shake this notion that it smells like PBR. I hold Euro Pale Lagers above American Macros so this notion bothers me. We'll leave it at a neutral 3 because I'm so torn.

Was definitely expecting something more from this brew in terms of flavor. Tastes like water. With a good appearance and acceptable nose, for the style I expected something along the same lines for the flavor. Nothing, absolutely nothing. A bit metallic and tin-like are some of the flavors I can pull from this brew. Also a huskiness.

Feels like flat tonic water but with less of a body. It just feels like there's nothing to this brew. This is a beer I'd not buy or want to drink again. It just sucks, there are much better brews that fit this style that are much better out there. Sure its easy to quaff but why...? THis is one beer I'll not be revisiting.

3.43/5  rDev +20.4%

They "Americanized" this beer - I had one several years ago and found it to be "skunky" - I bought a 6 pack recently of the new version on the reccomendation of a friend - I poured the first one in a frosted pilsner glass - nice head that hung around all the way through - it was much different than my first try, light, tastey, no bite or skunkyness. - I drank the next 5 right out of the bottle - good beer not too expensive - I bought more and genuinely like this beer - I'm bringing 2 cases to my bro-in-laws Super Bowl party and expect this beer might have a few more fans after they try it.

3.15/5  rDev +10.5%

A session beer if there ever was one. Pours into a pint glass a light straw color with an aromatic alcohol smell and slightly yeasty.

Surprisingly foamy and with great lacing. Didn't expect that out of a bottle, and no doubt one that has been sitting for some time. This is a very light tasting beer. Lightly yeasty and bready in taste, it has a slight alcohol aftertaste and the faint taste of hops. It is very clean all the way the through, but there is just not a whole lot happening in this beer.

Not a terrible beer, but it lacks some character to it. I could easily have more than a couple of these guys and not think twice. I don't know enough about this beer or the brewery, but I suspect it might be the Bub/Miller Light of New Zealand: around, available, acceptable in a pinch or out of a cooler at a 10 a.m. tailgate.

1.76/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Crystal clear sunshine yellow pour, non-existent head – well, a small white ring appeared for one moment.

Horiffic aroma of rotting veggies on which a skunk dropped a wee-wee.

Nasty bitter quaff, I’m glad the green bottle is see thru, or I would have guessed a dead mouse was laying on the bottom.

I don’t pour beer down the drain, but this stuff was putrid. I hope they have other offerings in New Zealand

4.35/5  rDev +52.6%

Pours a nice golden color with a decent head that dissipates slowly leaving a small cap and displays good carbonation.

Nose is of clean refreshing malt and hops.

Taste reflects the above. Very smooth and refreshing. Well balanced and quite enjoyable.

Light and refreshing in the mouth, a very drinkable brew.

3.51/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Big 23.5 ounce . Very clear and pale straw in color. Nice big head, with tiny white bubbles that persist. Sweet malt aroma, a hint of DMS with some grassy hop notes (I also picked up a faint skunk note when first poured....could be the green bottle). Nice malty flavor, balanced on the bitter side. Almost like a pilsner in the hop character but not as hoppy. Would consider this in the category of light lagers. Well carbonated, finishes dry and with a bit of hop astringency. Nice beer for a hot summer day.

3.77/5  rDev +32.3%

Enjoyed in a bottle in Hawaii a long time ago and then found it again just recently in my local store. I remember watching coverage of the 1989-90 Whitbread Round-the-World sailing race when the New Zealand boat Steinlager 2 (skippered by the late Sir Peter Blake) won every leg--a rare feat. Now I know what they were racing to get on the other end. Really an excellent beer--and "Euro Pale" isn't one of my favorite styles. This is more of an Australian lager (e.g., Boag's) fruity/veggie flavor... a bit exotic and (like the boat) adventurous. Worth trying.

3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

A: Pours a medium golden copper with a wild amount of bubble activity. Head is 1/2 inch, stark white and pillowy.

S: Red apple juice mixed with noble hops with a metallic twang.

T: Begins with a strong mineral lime stone dryness which really stays with the drinker through the entire process. Trace amounts of pear, green apple and grape can be found lurking under the surface. A tender hop bite with accompanying bitterness delicately mingles with the subtle green fruits. Finishes with more dryness mixed with honeysuckle and pear.

M: Thin body with a medium mouthfeel. Carbo sting a bit abrasive.

D: I find this beer to be well balanced and quite refreshing. I'm digging on the blend of dry and sweet. One of my favorite warm weather beers, a beer I will turn back to again and again.

3.52/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

23.5 ounce monster bottle. Clear golden in color. Sweet malts coupled with some freshly cut grass and musky hops. Grassy hops are evident in the body; combined with a decent malt-based background. Ever so carbonated and a body that resembles a spritzy soda—bubbly and bland. Grainy-like finish with a cleansing palate. Easy enough to drink, not bad.

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

I found a bottle of this at a French supermarket in Shanghai. It was a pretty average lager though better than the American macros

Appearance: Somewhere between amber and yellow, minimal white head, and a fair amount of carbonation

Smell: Slight aroma of corn, and perhaps light strains of grass and malt

Taste: Low hop bitterness, some grassy notes

Mouth feel: Medium, typical of a run of the mill macro lager,

Drinkability/notes: Average

2.67/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a pale pale yellow, almost like pear cider. Active carb, not much head. Unimpressive.

Smells of malt and maybe some wheat. Weak.

Taste is malty sweetness up front, but not too much. Enough hops to balance things out, and a slight lingering malty feeling. Not terrible. It beats Bud.

Mouthfeel is light-medium; the hops and sweetness add a little body to it. The carbonation is a little heavy, which will affect the drinkability (think lots of gas).

Overall not one that I'll buy (this was brought by a friend; neither of us had tried it). If you put a Bud Ice to my head and told me to drink the Steinlager, I'd do it, and I'll sure as hell drink it for free, but it's not great.

3.11/5  rDev +9.1%

Served in a pub glass. Pours a straw yellow with large loose carbonation, moderate loose white foamy head that last throughout drinking, no lacing.

Smells of corn and wet, musty grass

Taste better than the smell. Brief intial banana and clove sweetness/maltiness that turns more sour/dry through the finish. Otherwise, primarly light corn and yeast taste.

Light plus body, pleasantly carbonated, smooth. Brief buttery feel on the intial taste with a slighty drier finish.

Easy to drink. Uncomplicated. It is what it is. I think this would be a good, light weight beer for burger and fries. The 99 cent price tag for the big bottle increases the drinkability.

2.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Steinlager had been out of the market in Central Texas for a while, but it has made a comeback of sorts, as it once again seems to have a distributor. It's an import from New Zealand, and it comes in a sleek bottle with a haughty looking label. I had tried this beer years ago and was unimpressed, but I thought that I'd give it another go, hoping that time passed would give me a different impression of the brew. Well, not so much.

The pour was ok, straw body, lots of carbonation, reasonable head retention. The nose was sharp and bitter.

The taste was much like I remembered, skunky and unnecessarily harsh. This is a VERY skunky-tasting beer, but I get the impression that it's just a basic part of it's overall flavor profile. There's a bit of a crackery undertone, but it just gets overwhelmed by the sharpness. Not very good at all.

Average mouthfeel, not at all drinkable. I'm glad that I just sprang for the single instead of the sixer. This beer really wants to be a Euro-style lager, but it gets the whole thing wrong. It's got the look, but not the substance.

2.8/5  rDev -1.8%

"Pure New Zealand Beer"

Pours a pale straw yellow with white head. Skunky aroma that is also a bit musty with some grass and grain as well. Taste starts out malty but quickly turns bitter and skunky the longer it sits. Overall, this is just another average lager that doesn't do much for me.

3.8/5  rDev +33.3%

This brew pours a clear straw color with a huge, fluffy white head three fingers in height. Lacing is thorough. The aroma is suprisingly more hoppy than I ever would have imagined. Noble hops with a touch of cirtus dominate the noise. The taste isn't quite as bold as the aroma, but is nice nonetheless. The mouthfeel is a touch ligher than medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, if memory serves me correctly, this is one of the best Euro Lagers I have ever had. I would certainly drink this beer again.

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

A- light golden with a nice frothy white head.

S- corn, malt, some sweet fruit hints,

T- taste is pretty watered down, but what does come out is corn, slight hop spice, malty sweetness.

M- light and smooth.

D- i wouldnt be totally against drinking a few of these, especially if the other choices were macros.

overall- not terrible, but not anything to write home about. The flavor comes across lightly and the finish is smooth and non-offensive. This might serve as a nice thirst quencher with some spicey bbq or wings. Only paid $0.99 for the 25.5oz bottle, which makes it hard to complain.

1.71/5  rDev -40%

I simply don't "get" this beer.

It (apparently) wins awards, it is exported all over the world, and it sponsors big sporting events like yacht racing.

But it is swill. Pure, unadulterated swill. Do Steinlager sponsor the awards as well?

The best that can be said for it (in my oh so humble opinion) is that the bottle is moderately attractive. You can even buy really big bottles! But...

This beer is skunky of smell, thin of taste and is simply not very drinkable.

There is / are some citrus note(s) buried in the taste, but unless you are hypersensitive to citrus, you simply won't notice it. Taste is a nasty amalgam of ... well, I am not sure what. Hops? Yeast? Floor cleaner?

When poured (I keep wanting to type "poored"), it has a moderately thin head that dissipates quickly to a scummy layer on the straw yellow surface. You may notice that I scored appearance highest of the various characters for this beer.

IF you chill it right down, its drinkability goes up slightly, but honestly, it is just too much trouble.

It shouldn't ought to be like this...

Life is short. Drink something else.

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours to a golden color, with a pillowy white head that lingers throughout, and excellent lacing. Aroma is floral hops. Taste is more of the hoopy floral, with grassy taste more evident at mid-glass. Finish is dry, with lingering floral aftertaste. An okay beer, but nothing great.

While drinking beer beyond its best by date is usually not a problem having a lager sit for a year and a half is pushing it. My can produced a half-inch head that stayed a long time. The beer was bright yellow with some flakes in it. Not good. But since a friend imported it to Amsterdam from New Zealand I just hated to throw it away so I drank it. Despite the foggy appearance it wasn't all that bad, really. But my ratings don't mean much...

2.25/5  rDev -21.1%

No freshness date, but recently arrived in store.

Poured yellow with a thin white foamy head that descended to barely a wisp. Left very little lace.

The smell was thin - some hints of grass and skunk.

The taste was even more thin than the smell. Almost no taste outside of a touch of sweetness (some vague hints at adjuncts and touch of grass at most.)

The feel was very watery. It reminded me of water with a hint of corn or vegetable oil.

It's a sub-par Euro-lager. Too watery, no real flavor. Bland.

2.11/5  rDev -26%

Steinlager

Appearance- fizzy yellow with a huge frothy wite head. Moderate lacing.
Smell- sweet corn and a touch of skunk!
Taste- very sweet corn/ polenta with a light touch of straw.
Mouthfeel- sugary sweet and slighty flat. No aftertaste because its very watery.

Overall- This has such a corn flavor it amazes me!?! I'll pass on this in the future!!

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer was served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer has a fizzy pale straw yellow coloration. The head was 3 fingers high white in coloration. The head retention was poor. Light rings of foam line the glass.

Smell: The beer has a musty grassy smell. A very light sulfurous skunkyness is present.

Taste: The taste has a malty grainyness. Grassy lightly bitter hops finish off the flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is just shy of medium bodied. The beer is well carbonated. This beer beer isnt a bad beer. The beer was easy to drink. For $0.99 for 25.4 oz this is a ok beer for easy consumption.

3.18/5  rDev +11.6%

I sampled this one with my wife. It’s a very clear gold color with a fizzy, uninspiring foam. The aroma is of pale malt, with a modest sulfur background and a little slight hint of hops. The taste is a little grainy, with some cereal ajunct flavor and a little sweetness. There’s a fleeting caramel flavor as well. Medium mouthfeel, given the style, and modest carbonation. The finish is crisp and clean. This isn’t a bad beer at all. It’s not outstanding, and certainly isn’t interesting. Still, it’s thirst quenching and fairly enjoyable. It’s a dinkable, no frills lager.

Steinlager from New Zealand Breweries Limited