Steinlager | New Zealand Breweries Limited

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002

Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 428
2.42/5  rDev -15.1%

750 mL bottle (yes, complete with a 'classy' green bottle and bottlecap). No freshness date on here, but it is the newer style label. Pours a clear yellow color with a pretty nice, creamy white foam. Decent retention and excellent lacing.

Smell is very skunkalicious, with some green apples and grainy malt to round things out. Sweet, with some watermelon Jolly Ranchers thrown in. Not all that great.

Sweet grains remind me of corn syrup, but the beer tastes like it might be all barley. Not much hops in here, but does have a slight drying effect on the finish. Fruitiness in a lager is a bit of a turnoff. Malts provide a full-ish body, but doesnt really do much for the beer. I am not digging this much and am working hard to finish the 25.4 ounces. I seem to remember this tasting much better while in Hawaii 10 years ago...go figure.

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into an American wide pilsner glass, this was a sample not light damaged by the idiotic "international" green glass bottle.
Time was, 25 years ago, Steinlager was available in 25.4 ounce bottles. I use to buy a sealed case box of twelve. But that is long ago, when you could tell the difference between Steinlager brewed in Auckland, as opposed to that produced in Wellington. Now, over the years and brewing consolidation, the beloved Steinlager has become a rather mediocre offering, a touch below Holland's Bavaria.
This bottle says: "Steinlager classic" (whatever that means) and lists its alcohol strength, by volume, at 4.8%. A classic golden foamy appearance, but alas, like many other famous international brands, it has lost much of its character.
It is drinkable, but that's about all.

2.19/5  rDev -23.2%

I thought i would try this beer out. It is horrible and i regret wasting money on this beer. The beer should not be imported into Australia and should stay in NZ where it belongs.A premium price for such a poor beer.

Its not the worst beer i have had, but its close...

2.59/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a clear, golden color. A decent head develops.White in color. Good lace.
Smell is hops, resiny to the point of near skunkiness, slight malt note as well.
Taste is hops, malt, vanilla and a faint something I could not put a name to.
Good effervescence, medium bodied. Overall, just OK at best, not worth spending any of your money on.

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Just a quick review for this one. Basically an average beer for it's style. Light gold color, fluffy white head with good retention. Grainy, grassy aroma and flavor. Very carbonated and light body. Easy and smooth drinkability. At $2.50 for a 25oz bottle, this would be a good grab for a quick, easy beer to go with a sandwich for lunch and still be able to function the rest of the day. Not a bad beer, worth a shot.

2.76/5  rDev -3.2%

I keep finding more beer reviews on my computer that I never completed. What I like most about beer is when you see a beer that you haven't had in while you immediately think of what you were doing last time you had it. This beer reminds me of when I was in college and at my first of three different dorms. My old room mate who now lived two doors down from me (I had moved out of our room to my own because we ran out of room) was going on a beer run and he needed my help. Our dorm was a dry dorm so sneaking beer and other things in was sometimes a hard task. We went to Jewel and saw this beer on sale. He was like sweet 7 bucks for a 12 pack! So we picked this up as well as some other beer. We got it upstairs and we both snapped open a bottle and took a swig his face was hillarious. Long story short when I went back to my dorm that night (morning really) I was given the remaining ten.

Apearance- Straw lager yellow. Puffy white head about two finger. Pretty resilient sucker. More lacing than I would have thought there would be.

Aroma- Very grassy and grainy. Reminds me of Hienie. Also some mild hopness. Pretty skunky DAMN you green glass bottles!

Taste- The grassy hay like qualaties are very prevelent. It has this harsh I don't want to say bitterness because that isn't it, it is like a punjent taste that really makes you drink this beer slowly. I can taste the alcohol surprisingly which is strange for a 5% ABV beer. It is definitely for the lack of a better word different. It is a taste that you are not sure if you like it so you keep opening bottles to determine if you do and when you run out you still don't really know if you like it. I have never had a New Zealand beer and if this is the best maybe they just aren't cut out for making beer. It is an awesome pizza beer though I found that out the next day with some Cold giordannos!

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean. About medium body and carbonation make this beer pretty drinkable.

Overall- It is nothing really special. It is defintely different for sure. I wouldn't mind giving this one another try because I haven't had it since that time in the dorm and that was two years ago and my pallete has matured over that course of time. The problem is I can never seem to find it around here it seemed like a one time thing. It is not worth seeking out but if you ever come across it for a decent price it is atleast worthy of a try. As far as pale lagers go it isn't the worst I have had. I actually would like to take a stroll back in time to my crazy college days with this beer sometime soon. My old roomie is visiting Chicago sometime within a month or two I should pick him up a six pack as a joke if I can find it that is.

3.51/5  rDev +23.2%

The second beer of Oceania i taste, once served in my glass "Bayern Pilsener".

A: Yellow glass color, lots of bubbles, the foamy head never goas away and has a finger-thick, looks like bitumen in a yellow cake;

S: Refreshing and clean, smoked malt and herbal hops;

T: Malt with biscuity notes and earth hops;

M: Crips, refreshing, bitterness and medium body;

D: Very well off thirst.

3.44/5  rDev +20.7%

This was a very clear lager. I really wanted to like it, but it's pretty mediocre. Not bad, just average. It poured a very clear yellow/gold with a very large head. The head never quite desipates, and it sticks to the sides of the glass all the way down. The smell is really malty, with almost nothing else. The flavor is also malt. It has a slight metallic flavor. I was a bit disappointed in the flavor. I'm just not fond of that metallic taste. Carbonation is about right. I suppose it would make an okay session beer, though I wouldn't have more than one, and I won't be in a hurry to get more. It's okay. Just nothing special.

3.11/5  rDev +9.1%

New Zealand's finest lager eh? Compared to what? I can't decypher the best by date, there are 3 different codes on the bottle and a completely different one on the box, which is paper luckily because the bottles are green.

Pours into my mug with a huge, firm and mountainous white head that rises high above the glass rim without spilling over the sides. THe beer is an extremely filtered looking pale yellow/gold.

Smells fresh, not skunky, yay it is fresh! The smell is very clean and malty, with no real sign of hops, just some bready malt.

The taste continues what the scent started, this brew is one of the maltiest lagers I've had, if not THE maltiest. There is a slight spicy hop bitterness in the end, but it is ever so subtle. The malt dominates this brew in an interesting, though perhaps quirky way. It is like drinking liquid sugar malts.

Overall it is unique to the category but nothing very special, it was only 12$ for a 12 pack so I guess it is a pretty good deal for a cheap alternative if you are in a pinch.

3.02/5  rDev +6%

Appearance- Pale golden colour,two finger head ,some lacing around the glass,a little bit of the head stayed until the bottom of the glass.

Smell-Couldn't smell much,some slight wild herb smell.

Mouthfeel-Good carbonation and average mouthfeel.

Taste-Zingy bitter taste,crisp,dry finish.

Drinkability- Very drinkable and decent for the price,a well made N.Z lager.

2.82/5  rDev -1.1%

A- This is a very light grassy colored beer, and crystal clear. The head was actually not bad, being an inch or so thick, eventually settling down to a thin, frothy film on top of the liquid. There looks to be lots of carbonation that is quickly rising, and big bubbles. The lacing is actually quite sticky, leaving quite a bit of foam on the side of my glass!

S- Whoa! The brew was quite skunky when I first poured, eventually settling down to more of a heavy grain aroma. Getting past that, I smell some mild malt aromas, but no real hop smell. There could also be somewhat of a floral smell in the back round but nothing special.

T- The taste is better, but it's really more of the same. It's a very clean tasting beer, but the graininess of the barley comes through quite a bit. I can taste the sweet malts on the front of the palate and there is an attempt at a crisp hopped finish, it's just a little on the mild side, but at least it's there.

M- It's very light bodied, but clean and crisp. The big, heavily carbonated beer leaves quite a zing on my tongue, but it is refreshing and dry, leaving me wanting to have another drink.

D- This isn't the worst beer I've had....it does have some flavor, which is good for a pale lager, it's just nothing special. With that said though, it's a decent refresher for a hot day and I won't refuse to drink it in the future, I probably just won't go out of my way to have another one.

3.21/5  rDev +12.6%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass aug15 2009

A crystal clear golden yellow, half a glass of head that had good retention and left lace with each sip.

S quite a bit of floral hops and some sweet grains perhaps a faint amount of skunk

T as it smells really nothing great but not offensive

M/D nice and light easy too drink

dont go looking for this one but dont turn it down if passed too you

2.7/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 750 mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light straw color, large head which left a nice lacing as it dissipated.

Smell: malty with a nice hops aroma. There was a little skunkiness when I first opened the (green) bottle. It seems unfair to downgrade the smell due to what are probably shipping and environmental factors, but until the brewery learns to use brown bottles, I guess I'll have to.

Taste: I'm not terribly fond of this. There is some bitterness but there is a malt character with which I'm not impressed: it tastes kind of like dirt, but not in a good way.

Mouthfeel: as has been said before, it's hard to divorce taste from mouthfeel sometimes; but, as much as I dislike some of the flavors, I have really no complaints about the mouthfeel: the body is medium-light with a nice level of carbonation.

Drinkability: it's a light enough beer that it would work as a session drink, if only the taste were a little better.

2.98/5  rDev +4.6%

It is a lager like a great many other (see my review for Tiger Lager). A fine beer if you are sitting in the first pub that you find outside of the Auckland International Airport. Nothing really special, nothing really bad. I agree with yaegerje's comment "might as well go with a domestic lager and save the cash."

2.98/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Clear, golden, standard lager.

S - Really strong grains coming through here.

T - I mostly tasted the malts, with a malty finish.

M - Really well carbonated, yet smooth. A nice sipper.

D - No shock and awe, might as well go with a domestic lager and save the cash.

2.98/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle, into a pint glass.

The appearance is light golden in color with a two finger head that first goes a bit rocky and then thins out to a constant film covering the surface. There is a fair amount of carbonation bubbling up, from first to last sip.

I usually expect green bottled beers to smell a tad skunky, if not completely skunked, but this time I was surprised to detect none of that. This beer must have been kept out of the light, or was extremely fresh.

The taste is pretty typical for a Euro Lager. It's all sweet light malt up front, followed by a dash of bitter hops. All in all, a pretty good balance.

I've made a session or two out of these and it's been very nice. You can drink a bunch and still notice a bit of character to the beer.

For a beer that was developed to counter Heineken in NZ, they've done a pretty good job. It's not quite as good as Heinie, but it's pretty darned close.

2.98/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Bright gold, with a dense white cap. Head retention is decent and a fair amount of lace is left behind.

S: Lemon, pepper and a bit of raw grain.

T: Starts out with a cracker like malt flavor. Bitterness comes on with a moderate lemon and pepper bite. Things go downhill in the middle when a boiled cabbage flavor kicks in. Finishes relatively clean.

M: The body has a seltzer lightness to it. Carbonation is about right.

D: Yet another mid-pack EPL. It goes down easily enough, but is devoid of much real character. Things would be much better if the vegetable flavors were eliminated.

3.65/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a green bottle into a weizen glass. Has a gold color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is skunky and slightly sweet. Taste is crisp and refreshing finishing a little sweet. Watery and a little bitter in the mouth. Highly drinkable, especially in the heat. Overall a pretty good beer.

3.26/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer pours a pale yellow color, with a thick and fluffy white head. the head fades slowly, leaving a pretty decent lacing.

This beer has a grainy aroma. Mixing in with that I can detect a slight boiled cabbage aroma. A very subtle floral hop aroma is present as well.

This beer pretty much tastes like it smells. Grains with some cabbage funk and a very slight floral hop flavor.

This beer is a little high in carbonation, but it goes decently for the style. It leaves grainy aftertaste.

This beer might make a decent session beer. It is not high in alcohol, and the flavor is not too bad.

Overall: Not the best beer. Not awful though. Today is over 100 degrees, and this beer hits the spot.

2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml stout, steep slope-shouldered green bottle.

This beer pours a clear, rather pale golden straw colour, with three fingers of puffy, and thinly foamy, yet still rocky white head, which leaves a bit of fuzzy specked lace around the glass as it quickly recedes.

It smells of semi-sweet, grainy, and slightly crackery pale malt, a bit of wet hay, and mild grassy, vegetal, and floral hops. The taste is much more sweet rice and corn oriented in its graininess, with a further stricken white cracker maltiness, a buried sour, musty lemon fruitiness, and lightly floral, wet veggie hops.

The carbonation is moderate, not much more than a dull edge, the body medium-light in weight, and kind of tacky in its smoothness. It finishes pretty dry, and kind of clean, depending on your idea of tidiness, I suppose.

A pretty straightforward offering for the style, nothing noteworthy. A tad off-seeming, yet I can't possibly put my finger on what could be causing that? Not really worthy of seeking out beyond the country tick, maybe.

2.63/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a clear gold with a light white fizzy head and no lacing.

Scents of hop leaf and boiled grain and little skunk funk.

Sweet and sour grain notes with some vegetable bitterness. The hops give a little spicy bite, and that is the only thing keeping this from slipping any further in the taste rating than it has. The flavors, while unremarkable, have enough intensity to avoid the watered-down standard of this style.

This one has more than enough carbonation to clear your palate, but it actually makes this a bit filling. I had a single from the fridge, and don't care who had to drink the rest. Won't be going back to this again.

3.3/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I went big for the 25.4 oz. 'bomber'. I love the metric system, well, sometimes.

Pours a deep and clear straw with a bubbly inch of head into a pint glass. Retention is moderate for the style which means it's relatively brief, though a surface cap is easily maintained. Does offer some lacing initially, diminishing through the pint.

Nice mix of hops and malt and yeast on the nose. Bit of sweetness that is detected seems to blend the nose well.

Bit of an unexpected assault on the tongue as compared to the nose. Sweet grains and a bit of a drying hop bitterness gives the beer a thick and almost 'oily' body on the swallow, segueing to a more coarse finish. Light citrus flavor from the hops throughout. Bit drying in the end however. Decent and likely a flavor that one could acquire a taste for.

3.08/5  rDev +8.1%

A: pours a gloden yellow with a decent white head with moderate retention

S: a little funcky at first but evens out after a little bit, sweet and slightly hoppy

T: sweet and a light spicy hoppiness with smooth almost creamy middle with a slightly toasted finish

M: not too watery, minimal carbonation

D: not bad, i've never had kiwi beer and i think it's better than any ausie beer i've had yet

2.86/5  rDev +0.4%

Green bottle, not a good sign. the price was right, and a 750ml no less. I believe this is my first NZ beer.

pours a clear yellow straw with a thin head.

Good ole macro adjunct aroma, cooked veggie, corn, big spicy skunk (lightstruck) from the green bottle.

It's drinkable, but nothing the slightest bit remarkable. Fizzy tingly carbonation. It's not awful, it's just blah and at this low of an abv perhaps it makes a good drinker for a camping trip or something.. Not going to recommend this one to anyone, but not going to tell someone not to get it. It's a good beer for it's pricre and it's pretty true to style aside from the skunking taint.

3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, cadmium yellow body with a thinnish, white head.

Smell: Initial wafts of skunk -- afterwards, what remains is light, delicate notes of maltiness and a slight trace of vaguely spicy hops.

Taste: Light pale malts with a subdued clover honey sweetness and touch of fresh bread. Slight spicy hops with a balancing bitterness. Finishes dry, crisp, and fairly clean.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Well, that was surprisingly sufficient. Nicely balanced and easily drinkable.

Steinlager from New Zealand Breweries Limited