Royal Amber Ale | Hops Grillhouse & Brewery

Added by StevieW on 01-23-2003

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Deep copper-colored and clear, there was also some frothy head that tried to hang around, but didn't.

Smell: Floral/grassy hops are evident. There is a little "sweet" smell as well.

Taste: I was expecting more of a hoppy bitterness, given the "generous" quantites of hops supposedly added. Lots of malty sweetness only slightly balanced by the hops. Better than average, and a little better than my reference macro amber, Killian's.

Mouthfeel: Good amount of body. Again, there seems to be the problem of over-carbonation with Hops' beers.

Drinkability: Perhaps 2nd to the Pale Ale out of all of the beers available. Not as malty sweet as other ambers, it has some hop bitterness that lingers on the palate.

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

The name implies its an English Bitter or ESB. However, it tasted like an ordinary American Amber Ale.
Medium burnt orange color. Faint rocky head with no staying power. Somewhat carmel sweet smell. First taste was somewhat carmel malt, grainy, and slick. Toffee notes as well. Slippery feel never yeiled. Both highly carbonated, bubbly, yet a slick watery finish. I forced down 2 pints, but it was a bit of a disappointment. Sadly I wasted a night out at Hops.

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thought this was pretty good during my one and only visit to hops. The APA is certainly a ubiquitous style, but as anyone whose had more than a handful could tell you, there are also many lackluster ones out there. I wasn't expecting much out of this one (chain pale ale in the southeast), but it was pretty decent....nice rough mouthfeel, good hop presence, etc.

It poured a dark amber with a brilliant body. Aroma was pretty faint, but offered some hoppiness. First sip was more bitter than I expected (that's a good thing), and that bitterness faded with subsequent sips to reveal a fairly substantial maltiness as well. Mouthfeel was "rough," like it was scratching my tongue, which I like (I think rough suits hoppy beers better than "slick"). All in all, a pretty good beer, and when I was there the drafts were a $1, which makes it one of the best beer buys in my recent memory.

I had this at the Hops Grillhouse in Matthews, NC.

Royal Amber Ale from Hops Grillhouse & Brewery