Regia Extra | Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Added by TastyTaste on 12-20-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 51 | Ratings: 84
3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this guy in a big 32 ouncer at my local Whole Foods. Pours a better than average clear yelllow with white head into my white wine glass and jettisons a steady stream of tiny bubbles to maintain soapy white white film. Very faint smells of honeyish malts and grassy, lemon hops. The taste is the best part of this beer: pleasantly sweet tastes of grainy malts that don't have a whole lot of character or leave much of an impression beyond that "it's good." Light bodied and carbonated enough to pass muster on my scale. Not particularly memorable but it proved a fine beer to show to my group of Latin Americanist buddies tonight, and one that will hopefully intrigue them enough to buy something out of the ordinary the next time they shop.

2.12/5  rDev -31.2%

"there's nothing like an unfurnished basement for pure comfort" ... Pretty crispy for a lager, some low sparse lacing .. smells like old corn husks and maybe some sock ... a strange cheaper carta blanca clone ... marble rocks .. run of the mill... be careful with this, it put me over the edge...

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Yellow straw. A bit foamy but an awkward pour from the 32 oz bottle.

Smell: Malty and sweet.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Very light but not watery like this style can be from time to time. Tasted a bit unhopped but close to balanced.

Drinkability & Notes: It started out a bit disapointing but rounded out nicely through entire glass. Probably won't try again but it was a nice reminder of the beers I had on my honeymoon in Costa Rica.

3.92/5  rDev +27.3%

The waiter at the restaurant said this was a dark beer so I ordered it over BMC Corona, etc. It was surprisingly good for the style.

Deep yellow, more colorful than most in the style. No head or lacing.

Rich, sweet smell, little tinge of hops.

Really sweet flavor, could be cut back a bit but the surprising thing is the very blatant hop bitterness throughout the beer and especially at the end. really, unexpectedly good for what it is.

Mouthfeel is high carbonation, thin, drying but the sweetness makes it a tad sticky.

The next time I want a macro lager for some reason (softball, lawnmowing) this would be my first choice by a long shot. try it out.

1.13/5  rDev -63.3%

Oh my lord. I thought I couldn't find a beer worse than Corona, but I did. Maybe this one got cooked, but I doubt it. Nose was just unpleasant, aromas of straw and skunk, taste the same, appearance was pale pale pale hay color, and there were 32 ounces of this stuff. I endured five sips, even tried putting lime and salt in the thing, but it was still completely intolerable for me. Blech. Glad I got this one for free, because otherwise I would have wanted a refund.

1.67/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This review is part of Macro Smackdown XX, in which Belize's own, Belikin Beer, will attempt to show Regia Extra who's the king of the Central American jungle. An added bit of interest is that these breweries are only 270 miles apart, giving the contest a 'backyard brawl' sort of vibe. Incidently, my bottle isn't the 32 oz. monster shown above, but is the standard 12 oz.

Fuzzy amber that pales a bit when backlit with sunshine. The head on this beer is a fraction brighter white, lasts longer, looks better on the way down and leaves more lace. I prefer the color and the clarity of its competitor, however.

Regia's nose could use an overhaul. A mild perfume-like quality is overcome by a medicinal smell that reminds me of Bactine (the disinfectant). I guess it would come in handy if I ever cut myself in the El Salvadorian jungle, but it isn't something that I look forward to drinking.

The flavor profile isn't quite as medicinal. That's the good news. The only good news. Extra reminds me of dozens upon dozens of Eastern European lagers. It's neither sweet nor bitter and has a stale grain mixed with plastic flavor that might be due to excessive age. It doesn't taste oxidized, exactly, so it's hard to say. I think it's just lousy beer.

While I'm not impressed with the mouthfeel, it's better (in the grand scheme of things) than the aroma or the flavor. Specifically, it's light with less carbonation than is optimal. Since I didn't really expect much in this department...

It looks like Regia Extra got thumped by Belize's finest. I have a sneaking suspicion that age might have been a factor since my bottle of Belikin Beer was hand-carried back from Belize by a honeymooning friend. Sorry El Salvador. Better luck next time.

2.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Regia Extra pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a brown thirty two ounce bottle. The aroma is adjunct, corn to be specific. This beer has a very light body, the flavor is mild and primarily sweet malt and adjunct. Not unpleasant, but not worth going out of your way for.

2.59/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big 32 oz. bottle!

This beer has to be cold. Which it is. The color of the beer is pale straw, real pale. Visible carbonation bubbles whirlpool up towards a creamy cloud of foam which reminds me of a wit or wheat beer.

Not much of a smell. Corn, cane sugar, formaldehyde, come to mind.

The taste is all right. Sweet corn beer that leaves a coat on your tongue and mouth. Refreshing because it's cold and wet but that's it. A sweet sticky beer that sits in your stomach like a lump.

In the beer's defense, it seems like a well made beer with quality ingredients but the balance is way off in my opinion.

I need a dogfish bad...

4.45/5  rDev +44.5%

Very Very Impressive Beer, for what it is... A very impressive lawnmower/fishing/camping/campfire beer

The 32oz'er was very nice to drink out of, had my 1st right after mowing the lawn... had my second immediately after.

The smell is a bit yeasty, slight corn and some fruit . The taste is very flavorful with an abundance of fruit and extremely smooth start to finish.

Nice bottle, wonderful flavor, try to get your's fresh... very hard, but can be arranged, infact if you're up for a trade just let me know I have a guy that supplies me with these as fresh as you can get them in the US. Excellent beer for what it is!

2.74/5  rDev -11%

Regia Extra pours a crystal-clear, light straw-gold body beneath a creamy head of bright white that holds surprisingly well and leaves some nice thin rings of lace at the outset of the glass.

The nose expresses lots of yeasty sulphur and some corn-like dimetyl sulphide but not much else. There's some mild adjunct-laden maltiness, and a waft of dull hops in the background, but that's it... quite generic.

The flavor is basic as well, delivering a thin, lightly sweet maltiness that's balanced by a solid bitterness. At least the DMS gives it some character, as there's no real graininess to it; and not unlike the aroma, the spicy and herbal hops are relegated to a background role.

The body is medium-light, and it's fizzy in the mouth.

An average beer at best, I think that Regia Extra's refreshing quality is its best aspect. And not unlike a light beer, you could drink a lot of it, but why would you want to? Add to that the excessive lagery sulphur and mild DMS, and you'll probably want to pass it by unless you're actually in El Salvador on a very hot day. Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -9.1%

I love the bottle. The shape. The size. The beer could be any number of Central American/ Caribbean lagers if you close your eyes, but I just love keeping my eyes open and on this bottle. The taste is macro-premium, the suggested scenarios are front porches, river fishing, Subaru Brats, with harmonicas in trees, rail yard jungle. Once, this beer had a really pleasant (probably the only time it was fresh) flavor - round, soft, a touch of freshly harvested grains with a floral nose, but ever since that golden window of opportunity, it has just tasted like Red Stripe that sat on the shelf too long. But that 32 oz. bottle man. The size. The shape.

2.68/5  rDev -13%

this is from a massive bottle i bought in houston. very clear, almost like a de-yeastified wit...but somewhat yellow too i guess.. foamy white river scum head. smells like corn, alcohol. taste is fairly good, actually. smooth, slightly sweet, corny, thin. nothing special, for sure, but drinkable. lets see if i can get through all 32 fl. oz.

2.37/5  rDev -23.1%

I was not impressed with this beer.

It never impresses me when random countries come out with another beer that tastes like your typical American Macro. Frankly, I'm surprised this beer has high a rating as it does.

The smell is kind of yeasty with hints of corn and rice. So is the flavor, which is largely bland. It goes down smooth, but not interesting.

Just another foreign macro. Nothing to see here.

2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a pale straw hue with a one finger foamy head. Decent retention and lacing.

The smell was a bit metallic with hints of corn.

The taste was a bit metallic as well but good overall. The grain overtones were evident, but the beer was decently balanced.

The mouthfeel was thin and carbonated.

The drinkability was average. Nothing more in this department than your average macro.

3.07/5  rDev -0.3%

Regia Extra
32 oz brown bottle
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used a 8 oz juice glass for appearance

* Superbowl Sunday - XL *

The bottle of this beer is a wild. A unique shaped brown 32 oz bottle. This is one of those beers that you don't see every day.

Pours a light yellow. Not much of a head to describe. A thin white lace decorates the top of the beer.

Rather bland nose. Some whiffs of grains and corn.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel. Adjunct flavors like corn and rice with a touch of honey sweetness. Tight, pressured carbonation. A pretty straightforward brew. Easy to drink and refreshing.

3.48/5  rDev +13%

Found this in a bodega type store in Harrisonburg. Cool 32 oz. bottle with a small mouth and an old-looking label - had to at least try it. It pours into the pilsner glass a light gold that looks like it might be unfiltered, and it has a medium amount of carbonation beads with a half inch white head that leaves some lacing. It smells kinda fruity - like maybe apples or grapes - but it's pretty clean besides that. It has light DMS in the flavor along with hints of the same fruits, some grainy malts, and a mild bitterness with a light and tingly body. Not too bad - drinkable enough - and I kinda like drinking from the big quart bottles.

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this single up in the fridge case at Ronkonkama Beverage. It's unhearalded, packaged ugly, and affiliated with SAB Miller, but the price was definitely right. No born on or drink by date but thats probably okay.
Plain straw color, typical "minute" head and generally boring looking. The nose is predictablly loaded with adjuncts but also has some freshness and some citrus notes to salvage it.
Taste is light and thin as expected, and more than a little watery in mouthfeel. There is some malt flavor and generally a clean, fresh, taste but this is unexceptional stuff. For the price this was worth it (seventy nine copper Lincoln portraits) but I likely won't be indulging again.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Head fizzed off the surface quickly leaving it clear. Noticeably pale and clear, the color of chardonnay, maybe paler.

Smell had malt on the light side of the spectrum and a whiff of corn and grain.

Taste of light malt and grain, corn secondary on the aftertaste. Clean and crisp, light bodied, moderate carbonation, balance that kept the 32 oz mini-jug on a steady drain.

A quality macro lager. Just smooth, crisp, easy lager sipping, this needs to be more readily available, found in the 40 oz section of the store fridge this beer would dominate its shelf in the overall. Front porch session candidate.

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%

It would not be fair to publish a thumbs-down review of this beer, as it was purchased in July 2004. Even though its been kept dark and cool in the fruit cellar or fridge ever since, I normally wouldn't expect Third World industrial light lager to survive that long.

Baby's piss yellow with no top unless agitated -- and even then it is a noisy, hasty affair -- there is an absence of aroma. It passes the smell test. I am impressed by its clean dryness. There is a subtle, raw grainy flavor the provides something for the palate to do, even if turns out to be empty calories for the extended synapse family. A dull surge of acidity suggests it might have once been snappy. There are absolutely no flaws here. By the same token, a truly exceptional light lager (like Birra del Vecchio, Rothaus and Mahr's Leicht) will still have character of some kind after such extended aging. It is apparent this was alway empty. Functional beer. Sorry I waited.

Well, I do ont know what would be the difference between the other Regia and this, but anyway, the very same thing I said about the other I say about his one. Althoug, the label is great and I got a keykeeper as a gift from this beer and it works to open the beers. I have used it a lt of times. It is a boot black, with the REGIA name in white motts and in the print, you would find the hardware.

2.41/5  rDev -21.8%

This to me is basically a South American BMC.

In the glass, it's rather light, with a storng head that holds for a while...

The smell is just slightly spicy and airy, with a note of wet towel.

Flavour is rather watery, with the barest hints of banana and coriander.

Mouthfeel is slightly watery and a bit fizzy.

You could drink this for a long time on a hot day. Good lawnmover beer, but not much more.

Be well
-UF

3.94/5  rDev +27.9%

Just the other day, I was in the liqour store, (Woodman's in Green Bay, WI) and I was in the mood for something different. I didn't have a lot of money for beer, so I was looking for both quantity and price. As I was eyeing the various products, I saw this one, it stuck out like a sore thumb. A poop brown bottle, with a little label on it, saying REGIA extra. Then I saw the price, and I knew I had to pick it up. Seeing that I am an advertious individual, meaning I try numerous beers often, I was intrigued by this one, because I have never heard of it. I couldn't wait to dive into this one. At first taste, I was like "WOW, this is actually pretty tasty." And the rest went down smooth. Everything about it was pleasant, from the smell to the drinkability. So if you have never had this one, dive right in and you will be pleased with this beer. CHEERS!

3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

The beer after its release from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a crystalline gold with a magnificent white creamy crown, the residual lace forms a tight seal upon the glass. Nose is the standard fresh and crisp sweet malt, with the start being a bit sweet and the grain profile adequate, top is light to moderate in feel. Finish is pleasantly acidic and the hops delectable in their spiciness, dry aftertaste, a nice drinking beer.

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

Poured from a 32 Oz bottle I found at M & R Liquors in Carpintera CA.

Pours a very clear pale yellow that is expected for the style.

Smell is very clean and grainy with fairly good malt scent. Crackers and grass are in here too; the hops appear as a herbal scent. There is a detectable amount of corn in the scent.

Taste is more dry than sweet. Nice flavorful hops of the noble type give this a very pleasant herbal taste. The hopping never becomes bitter this is actually like a European Macro Lager, except this one is good! Light malt flavor balances well with the restrained bitterness level. Malt to the taste appears to be mostly crystal but I know there has to be some corn in a beer from Central America. There is a flavor here of caramel and something else possibly toasted wheat.

Mouthfeel is light, this is a Macro Lager after all it is really supposed to be like that.

Drinkability is super! I have drunk a lot of the Budweiser equivalents from other countries and mostly they are disappointing, this one is not. I can't STOP drinking this stuff! I expected another mediocre beer but this stuff is good! I paid $3 for the bottle and it was damned well worth it! I fully recommend everyone try this brew!

4.05/5  rDev +31.5%

Poured from a very oddly shaped 32 oz. (quart) brown glass bottle. Clear medium gold color, lots of visible carbonation, with a small white layer of foam. Smells grainy and grassy, very subtle in nature. Nothing off detected. Taste is also very grainy, with grassy malt in the background, once again no skunky flavors anywhere. A little alcohol is noticeable, but does not detract from this beer at all. Mouthfeel well carbonated and crisp. For an adjunct lager, this is one of the best I have had from the style.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast