Modus Hoperandi | Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

skabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Ratings: 2,744 |  Reviews: 812

If I could give this a beer a 0 I would the taste alone made me puke. I'd rather drink cat piss, and I hate cats..I have drank a lot beers in my life and this is by far the worst. I understand why there are no negative comments on this beer, it's that bad. I didn't want to waste 250 characters on it but I felt someone should.

I would have to say that this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. I am a hop head and this is a disgrace to an IPA. There are not a lot of times where I have had a beer and had to dump it out but this is one got dumped. How is this beer rated a 91?! Very odd flavor.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

2.04/5  rDev -50.2%

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

2.42/5  rDev -41%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.52/5  rDev -38.5%

2.56/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a tulip.

Pours a medium honey with a moderate cloud. Two finger head recedes to a decent cap and sticks well.

Aroma is a unique, very floral hop. The hops yield to a spicy malt, cinnamon and allspice, bit of clove. Skanky, dirty malt aroma in the finish.

Flavor is..odd. Metallic hops take the fore front. Medicinal and phenolic, this is not a good flavor, the phenolic flavors are over the top. Malt is spicy and the hops are extremely floral, But the band aid phenolic is just too much, it is sour and chemical and not good at all.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied carbonation is good.

At first I thought I had an infected beer, but I had more from the six and they were all the same. This beer was forced past a drain pour, not recommended in this form.

2.71/5  rDev -33.9%

A: orange in color with a one finger white head that had moderate retention and lacing.

S: I don't get much on the nose, there's a little bit of lemon zest and citrus, but not much.

T: I have had this beer on two separate occassions and found it to be quite soapy both times. The hops are not balanced and not plesant. It is very bitter up front, but only soapy in the aftertaste.

M: Nice level of carbonation and viscosity, but not a very good aftertaste.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these in a night. There are so many better IPAs out there.

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Iv bought this beer twice (2 separate occasions), and both times it was well before the "best by" date on the bottom of the can. Both times it's smelled and tasted old and malty. This one is not for me and I won't be trying a 3rd go with it.

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.1 out of 5 with 2,744 ratings