Modus Hoperandi | Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
skabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Reviews: 796 | Ratings: 2,689
3.27/5  rDev -19.9%

A= As I drank from the can all I can tell you is that the can was different and very green.

S= Very hoppy spicy smell. I don't know if the aluminum can threw me off or not. Could definitely tell it was an IPA.

T= First taste threw me back a little. To me this was a very strong IPA for the little IBU it had. As it may be a true IPA I had a hard time swallowing it.

M= The finish killed this beer for me. It left a very oily pine cone taste in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of.

O= Not a bad beer for someone else. I like to call myself a Hophead but this beer is not for me.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz. can poured into an Allagash chalice.

Appearance - Copper with an off-white head. Nice head with good retention and nice rings of lace down the glass. A little dark.

Smell - Musty pine hops with a hint of grapefruit citrus. Toasty malts. No sweetness. Kind of a weak hop aroma.

Taste - Sweet caramel malt is significantly stronger than the hops. The pine and citrus play second fiddle. The bitterness is intense and lingering.

Mouthfeel - The bitterness at least covers some of that malt. It's not sweet, but there's nowhere near enough malt to back it up. It's pretty drinkable though, especially with food.

Overall - Nothing special. Nothing bad, either. More hops, please.

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. No date. The body was semi-cloudy and bright cooper. One finger of manilla envelop colored head formed. When opened it sound flat, not much carbonation evident, but a vigorous pour created adequate head which remained throughout. Some lacing remained. The can art reflects the Ska culture.

Smell was piney and earthy. An organic rotting hay aroma.

Taste was grapefruit pith. Caramel sweetness was eclipsed by the hops which left a long lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and had moderate carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can courtesy of scray24, poured into a pint glass. Brownish color with a lacy white head. Aroma of grass clippings, lychee, and bread, heavy on the malt overall. Flavor is similar, malt-forward especially with crystal and caramel, mild fruitiness. Hops? Please?

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a copper amber with about a finger off white head that settled to cap and left decent lacing.

The dominant smell is pine, then citrus. Also some grassy but mostly pine.

The taste is heavy on the pine as well, and very bitter. One dimensional in that the bitter pine taste overwhelms anything else trying to come through.

Light to medium body with good carbination

Overall I enjoyed this one as a change but can't get by the dominant pine taste to have regular.

3.31/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a sam adams pint glass:

Apparence: poured a medium amber color (i'd guess something like 12.5-13.5 SRM), crystal clear, looks very nice, but maybe not how a IPA SHOULD look..

Aroma: piny, earthy, with some malt sweetness coming out, also slightly "green" tasting. Smells like an average IPA, but thats not a bad thing.

Flavor: flavor is almost even between malt sweetness and the btterness of the hops, i get a sweet caramel flavor with some crystalized sugar (crystal malt) hops are definetly present, and taste nice, i just wish the sweet malt wasnt there fighting with the hops as much, i would prefer a more hop domonent flavor, but again, this is average for most IPAs ive tried.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is nice, the after-mouth-feel is kind of cloying, it completely saturated my tongue, almost like a DIPA. Bitterness is, well, bitter, slight flavor of pine and "earth" come to mind. Again, sweetness is on the high side, which tends to stick around for a while on the tongue and battles the hops, which some people might like.

Overall: this one tasted pretty average to me, it's a good "go-to" but something i would crave or drool over, eh, I dont know. It takes a lot for me to say a beer is above average, so by no means is this a bad beer, just nothing to really take note of. Pretty average down the line.

3.31/5  rDev -18.9%

Hmm. Cool can, man. But damn I'm all dried out. And it wasn't totally worth it. You see, I'm sitting here cooking some food (veggie sausage with peppers and onions) and thinking about all the good fist-pumping beers I've had. And then this Modus Hoperandi hops along and gets all up in my palate and I'm not Jersey Shorin' it anymore.

It looks fantastic-- deep amber hues the body as the lace takes over the glass and the head stays on top saying drink me. But the smell is less appealing, consisting of mostly pine and some sea / earth type of stuff. Maybe some grapefruit zest but hardly any citrus or malt. It tastes clean but drying. And that gets clingy. At 6.8% it goes down easy, but the cling of that hippy dryness isn't balanced, and I'm forced to think of ex-girlfriends.

I'll probably finish it. I mean, I'm pretty good at drinking beer. And although it definitely hits that dry hop head note, it's off key for me.

Still, it's not unredeemable, and there are some really well done parts to it - outside of the great label - so this beer settles right in there at average to slightly above.

Which is more than I can say for my cooking.

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

With a name like Modus Hoperandi, I was expecting much more hop flavor and aroma, but it just wasn't the case. It's different and interesting, but in a mediocre kind of way. It's good/okay, just not what I was expecting. Expectations matter!

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

this is a proper copper ale with light carbonation and whip cream head, it is a stubborn and strong sticky big head that doesnt give up. the fluffy head sits a half inch above the glass.

grassy piney kiwi hops in the smell, spicy and sweet. a little lightly toasted bread.

piney oranges in the taste, slightly sweetened by the malt, but not actually balanced by it. bitter! almost like the pine cones are still in there with the fresh pine scent.

oily smooth to scratchy bitter

this is a one in a night kind of beer, it might not be so rough on tap. leaves unpleasant lasting bitter.

cool to try but not on my shopping list.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

This is for Modus Hoperandi.

Appearance: Crimson brown copper with decent head and lacing. Not the color I was expecting.

Smell: Citrus hoppiness and tea leaves.

Taste: Strong hoppiness with caramel malts taking a backseat. Some tea and herbal flavors really dominate. Not overtly bitter, well done on that end. Some orange, grapefruit and pine sap.

Mouthfeel: Medium, almost thin, could use a touch more carbonation

Drinkability: The odd tea element ruined this one, I might have had an off can.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

12 oz can best by 01/09/11, I much prefer when IPas have canned on dates.

It pours a deep caramel amber color with a foamy and creamy off white head that seems to stick forever.

The smell is good, but not spectacular. It has a lot of tropical fruit notes along with some herbal, grassy bitterness. It has a moderate sweet smell.

The taste is also good but not super amazing. It is pretty watery for the style. But it does have a nice hop flavor and a decent hop bitterness. The hops are perhaps a bit too grassy and vegetal though, the tropical flavor isn't carried over. There is some pineyness but it seems off. It doesn't seem to have a proper malt bill as ti ends up tasting like hoppy water.

The mouthfeel is way to under carbonated and watery for the style.

It is middle of the road for IPAs.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

This beer was poured a rich coppery red color with a thin white head that cleared to a fine lace.

The scent was pine-y, and reminded me of a milder Green Flash IPA. Nice scent for sure, exactly what I would want out of a good IPA.

Unfortunately, the taste did not live up to the name. "Modus Hoperandi" had me pumped up for a really intense IPA, and this wasn't quite what I expected. Not weak by any means, but not the punch I was looking for. Keep in mind that I must be pretty inured to strong hops by now, because my fellow taster found it fairly strong. However, a great beer for its price: it was cheaper than the vast majority of good IPAs on the menu at the pub I was patronizing.

The mouthfeel was nice. Not sticky, not watery, but just right. As far as drinkability, they could have served this in a pint glass instead of a 10oz. I would have enjoyed a full glass.

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Had this one on-tap at Lindley Park Filling Station in GSO the other day.

Pour yielded a dark amber-orange with a thin head. What little head was there created some killer lacing though. Pretty beer in the glass. Mild citrus nose. Orange, pineapple, green hops. Flavor is dull and bitter. Faded grapefruit-like bitterness. Bitter hops for sure, but not all that flavorful. Decent finish. Alright IPA, but I expected more. I guess that's the danger of checking reviews *before* having the beer, something I try not to do too often.

Can to pint glass.

Light copper amber color.

i smell light fruit tones but mostly pine.

Taste - For the first few drinks, the bitter then the pine was not pleasing to my old taste buds. Pine is just not what i typically look for, however, after the taste buds got accustomed to it, i enjoy it.

Easy drinker. Leaves you with a citrus pine taste.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

A big shout out to woodychandler for providing this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy brownish/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by hops. Taste is also a bit on the hoppy side, considerably bitter, not much else. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth. Overall not a bad beer, but I feel it could use a little more balance.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

I've left my original review below but I have changed my ratings after tasting the beer again.

The smell was the the biggest change in the beer this time around. I got a resiny piny character that I liked and there was no diacetyl that I could smell.

I had this beer in a blind taste test so I didn't know what I was having.

When I saw this beer I was excited because it looked a rich amber color and a nice light tan head. The smell was horrible though. I was expecting a rich hoppy smell but what I got was diacetyl and cheesy hops. The can could have been old but that wouldn't explain the diacetyl. I was incredibly let down by this beer.

I would be incredibly hesitant to ever try this again.

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

From notes:
Look: More yellow than amber with a thick off-white head. The lacing is great but it looks more like a lager.
Smell: Citrus hops are right up front but there is something in the background that is a bit unpleasant and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Taste: Very citric, very earthy with some caramel maltiness to round it out.
Mouth: Thick and sticky. A little nasty by the end. It needs to be mellowed out a little bit.
Drink: Not bad. I was in Colorado trying out some CO brew and this didn't quite hit the top of my charts, but it was decent.

3.46/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A- Clean copper with mild carbonation leading to a foamy off white head. Lacing absolutely coats the inside of the glass. Film of head retains throughout. Delicious looking IPA

S- Big west cost style nose. Lots of citrus and fresh pine trees. Somewhat dank. Mainly just hops, but not an overly powerful nose for the style

T- Hop forward again. A little more pine that citrus detected here. It is as bitter as it claims as it attempts to pound the palate into submission with hop oils. The hop profile seems a little discombobulated, if not messy. A lack of malt gives this one a "hot" quality as it goes down, but then it redeems itself with a surprisingly smooth finish.

M- Fairly drinkable, mild carbonation, bitter as can be, but not too dry

O- Looks great, but just seems to lack anything truly inspiring in my opinion. Better than average, but doesn't really set itself apart from a very competitive pack

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy burnt orange to bronzed brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. Lacing was there and somewhat stringy.
The smell started off with a light piney to floral hoppiness running into a level caramel maltiness. More caramel malt than expected, but I'm okay with that.
The taste was more sweet than bitter, but bitter floral and piney hops do come together to bring a decent balance to this beer. Lingering malty aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium in body with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation feels insecure - jumpy, sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't, different, weird, something of that nature.
Overall, I don't see the hubbub behind this one. Three cans of this and I'm sorry, but I don't see it as outstanding. Something going on in the carbonation, still, thank you Kayley for sending.

12 oz can poured into DFH signature glass - best by 3/11/11

Pours a hazed copper orange with some darker hues. Smaller white head fades quickly into spotty film with rings and patches of lacing on the glass.

A thick dose of sweeter malt in the nose quickly followed by some pine hops.

Slightly sweet up front, touches of caramel and slightly roasted malt. Grapefruit hop bitterness with ruby red juiciness and blood orange. Doughy malt, slightly syrupy with honey. Bittersweet hoppiness towards the finish.

Medium body, decent carbonation, a little dry and slightly chewy. Pretty quick, smooth drinking but I would have liked to see more hop profile and less malted sweetness.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

A - orange-red with a small thin white head. Legs slowly recede down sides of glass

S - Has the basic pine citrus smell with a decent malt backbone. The smell isn't explosive but it does the job.

T - Harsh bittering hops with a slight malt backbone. The finish is all bitterness. The beer started as a 4.0 and became 3.5 with the lack of balance coated my tongue with more and more hops.

M - Moderate carbonation with a nice sticky medium mouthfeel.

D - Decent but I feel it needs more malt or less hops to balance the beer out. There is decent amount of residual sugar but it is covered up by the excessive bitterness.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Beermasons for this and love that its a can and pours a see through light copper hue which leaves a very frothy three finger head and lacing everywhere looks nice,the smell is resinous piney hops with grapefruit and a touch of honey,the mouthfeel is abit light on for me and just over lightbodied with tastes of piney resinous hops first up followed by some stonefruit,a touch of redgum honey,piney hops,bitter juicy lemons and finished again with that piney hop bitterness and overall love the can apsect and even though its not over the top i could easily see this as a nice session drop just wish it would be the same price here as in the USA if ever released cheers.

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Green can with the same logo as the bottle pictured here. Clear golden orange, decent head, a little sticky lace. Smells fairly hoppy with a faint bit of fruits in the back. The flavor is not so hoppy except for a very bitter finish. Its like malts and then just bitterness. Its cool to see more beer in cans but this is just so-so.

3.49/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a copper color with two fingers of sticky, rocky white head.

Scent of caramel, hops, citrus, and a hint of alcohol. A pretty good balance to the scent, but I would like more hoppiness.

Taste of caramel, light hops, and not much else. Even though it is still pretty fresh, I just can't find enough to like this as an IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with decent carbonation.

3.49/5  rDev -14.5%

Very bright orange peeko amber color. Clear color, but has a lot of suspended particles just sort of hanging out. Lacking in head and foam or stickage for an IPA. Very sunny smelling IPA. Citrus meets some ambery cereal grains. Maybe just a sprinkle of powdered caramel on some fresh cut orange peels. Maybe some pine tar and tobacco as well. Needs a little more malt to achieve a closer balance of flavor. The palate is pretty bitter and lacking some malt to tone down some of the hops bitterness. like the oily texture though. This is a great session beer for a hop head.

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.