Modus Hoperandi | Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

4.1/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,742 |  Reviews: 812

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a burnt orange amber brown color, somewhat hazy, with a about a finger of white head, recedes quickly. Minimal lacing.

Pine and malt aromas up front, plenty of hops as well.

Similar flavors of pine malt and hops, with a prominent malt character also present. There is also a sweet floral aspect as well. Very piney and resinous.

Medium bodied with light to medium carbonation. It's what they call chewy, I suppose.

Overall this has been one of my favorite IPAs since first trying it a few years ago. Can't get it in my region, but am glad to try it down in NC. Cheers.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to blakelive784 for dropping this extra, a long-time want, into a box that landed a copule days back. 12 oz. can with varied & strange stuff stamped on it. I dig. Officially my first beer from Ska Brewing. 'Best by' date on the bottom is at a weird angle, & only the '13' is readable.

The Pour is like a vibrant redhead-in-a-bottle, & my wife dubs it "pretty" from across the room. Big head, if anyone cares. Nose reaches me on the pour, which is always impressive: I don't need to get my short & curlies damp to tease out the aroma. Big time bitterness, pine, all that good hoppy stuff.

Modus Hoperandi whispers like the consonants of Mordor to my hop-loving senses. There's a heavy caramel base here that conjures up a stern maltiness, but somehow doesn't interfere with the hop bite; that's a nice sleight of hand. Hops are strongly floral, high plateau meadow, citrus, & bitterness in moderation. Metallic hint as it warms knocks the taste back a touch. Nice & oily, but the strong point of this brew is the drinkability, I'm slugging this like Barry Bonds after an HGH injection.

This beer is a rat's ass whisker away from being excellent. A very good beer that I'm glad isn't distributed around here, because at the rate I'm drinking it, I'd need a new liver every couple of years.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88.5% out of 100 with 2,742 ratings