Modus Hoperandi | Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
skabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Reviews: 799 | Ratings: 2,702
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 12 oz can into a pint glass. Light amber with a 2 finger tan head. Not just a ton of aroma when poured into a glass, surprisingly.

This little dude is a hop head's best friend. Strong bitter hops with the slightest hint of grapefruit at the end. Not incredibly balanced (favors the bitter side), but not overpowering as some IPA's can be. The flavors linger on the tongue well after the brew is down the tube. All in all, an enjoyable IPA, not for the newcomer or the faint of heart. Plus it comes in a can, which it kinda bitchin.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to wagenvolks for the trade. Very cool looking can. Poured from a 12oz. can (best by 12/3/10) into a Duvel tulip glass. Pours a deep copper with a large light tan head. Can smell the hop aroma as soon as I was finished pouring. I get intense grapefruit and mango aromas with sweet caramel toffee. Tastes like a mouthfull of grapefruit flavored hops with a touch of light caramel malt sweetness. This has a spongey mouthfeel with a hoppy bitterness that lingers for awhile. Overall a very yummy IPA that I would try again, as soon as it's available around me.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

A very nice IPA. This 6 pack was about the only thing interesting for sale near my hotel. I'd only vaguely heard of it, and my expectations weren't super high.

The beer looked really nice and the aroma really filled my hotel room. The flavor was great - nice pine/citrus blend. A very easy drinker, I rarely have multiples of the same beer in a row, but that was easy for MH. Highly recommended!

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%

Has a cleanly filtered copper colored body, and creates two fingers of rich and sticky light tan head.

In the aroma, there is a lemony and floral character that dominates.

Taste wise it is again dominated by the hops. It does start off caramel, but the hops sweep in for the kill with lemon zest and spruce.

The mouth feel is a little prickly with carbonation. In the middle a little slich with the oils and finishes kind of dry. This is one of the best beers I've ever had from a can.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to tr4nc3d for this one!

Amber in color and strikingly crisp, this IPA offers up big tufts of foam and heavy lacing, giving it an imposing stature. Despite its aggressive head and carbonation, I dive in, hoping for the best.

The big, citrusy hop stink is almost overpowering and it's nicely paired with maltier notes and the sweeter aspects of an apricot or grapefruit. Although merely indicative of the style, Modus Hoperandi packs an appealing aroma.

Taste is malty and sweet. Caramel notes, as well as some oakey characteristics, make for a smooth and nuanced flavor profile that focuses more on balance than hop dominance. That's not to say that a bit of scratchiness isn't on display. The final seconds bring on a powerful showing of alpha hop flavor.

Liquid itself is quite smooth and rich. The hops never overpower and the ending is creamy, despite the fact that its rather bitter and dry.

This is so drinkable, smooth and balanced. All in all, a great example of the style. It's truly a damn shame that Ska doesn't sell in Pennslyvania.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Special thanks to Bamadog for hooking me up with this one. I've become a huge fan of craft beer in a can!

A: Looks fantastic - pours a deep copper with about 1 finger of head and immediately has some lace around the glass - A bit cloudy as well.

S: Citrus, malt, some floral hops perhaps? A bit mellow for smell overall - not overpowering

T: Nice bitter upfront citrus coming through quickly heading into some malt sweetness. Very nice.

M: Creamy and Rich. Very good.

D: Could have a sixer of these with no problem. Very good IPA. Only weak area for me was the nose.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

P - Pours a dark shade of amber. There was about a 2 finger white with hint of orange colored head that lasted quite a while. There was a bit of lacing as well.

S - The smell a burst of citrus hops and grapefruit and pine.

T&M - Taste was very hop forward, could taste rind of citrus, pine, powerful hops. Malt brings just the right amount of sweetness. The mouthfeel was of oily hops and carbonation. The bitterness seems to linger forever.

D - Ska Brewing isn't something that I turn to very often, but this is one I always look forward to. Oily hop bitterness keeps me from enjoying more than two at a time, but it is still one of my favorite IPAs and definitely my favorite from a can.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Ska: Modus Hoperandi, IPA (Best by 11/26/10) (Tasted 07/20/10)
12 oz. can, poured into a cervoise goblet.

Appearance: Sunkist amber beer with a big foamy off-white head that fills the glass, then takes its sweet time to die down, leaving loads of sticky lace and a nice three millimeter cap.
Odor: Orange oil, a bit of mango-ish tropical fruit, pine needles in back, suggestions of rich, low lovibond crystal malt. Big, oily nose, I dig it!
Consistency: Light bodied, a little bit of oil in the mix, some dry cracker-y graininess to the feel. Carbonation is mellow, low-ish for style, but assertive enough to contribute a slight crispness.
Taste: Herbal/citric bitterness steps up like a big dog from the get-go, accompanied by a cadre of grapefruit and orange hop flavor, slightly waxy/grassy, but not all that offensive, it adds some character. Bitterness continues to dominate as sweet, light caramel flavors and a cracker-y grain character phase in and out. Finish is long, bitter and hoppy with a light coating of oils.

This is a really solid IPA, great hop character from nose to tongue, just enough malt to get by, drinkable as hell. Cheers to Mike @ Bruisin' Ales for recommending that I pick this up, noting that it was freshly canned.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a clear, dark amber with a nice two fingers of head that had good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. A lot of C-hops in the aroma with their citrus charactoristics. Plenty of hop flavor and bitterness. A sweetness comes on that, at first, seems overly sweet and cloying, but mellows out as I get nearer the bottom of the glass. There is carbonation present but it almost feels flat. It would be fine in a stout, but I like a little more robust carbonation in my pale ales. A good IPA but not my favorite. Can availablility adds to the ways that this beer could be enjoyed.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I was very happy to see Ska finally show up in Missouri. I was missing me so Modus Hoperandi.

Poured a 12oz can into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a varnished copper with a big 3 inch, frothy white head that leaves medium lacing as it recedes down my glass. A thin lip of lacing is constantly sitting atop my beer. The nose is hoppy. Resiny pine cones backed by light tangerine citrus. Subtle notes of sweetness from the malt backbone pair well with big hops. The flavor is exactly the same. Up front comes (not overly) piney hops with light citrus following. A malt backbone adds just a hint of sweetness at the tail of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is light and crisply carbonated leaving a nice dryness on the palate. Modus really is a great IPA. Now that Ska is in MO, this is going to go into my regular Hop rotation.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

I had been waiting to buy this one until I knew I was getting a fresh 6 pack, so 4 months later, I finally have it.

Pours an amber color as opposed to the more straw/golden color I was expecting. A heavy head forms and dissapates pretty quickly.

Smell is obvious hops and citrus, which for me is exactly what i'm looking for in an IPA. Little else comes through.

Taste is very hop forward, but the malt backbone breaks through here and there. Part of me feels like the balance is a little out of whack at times, but that's really nitpicking. Citrus taste lingers... not to the extent of say, sculpin ipa, but still very evident.

Mouthfeel straddles that line between smoothness and crispness. For what it is I find it pleasant, but for citrusy, hop-forward ipa's i tend to like them more explicitly on the crisp side, but still, there's nothing really wrong here.

Drinkability is great.... this is, for me, a good session beer. The hops, while aggressive, don't overpower you and make for a pleasant overall experience. Will probably add this to Stone IPA and Carolina IPA as one of my go to "available" IPA's.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber topped by a thick, creamy off-white head that lasts a long time. Little lacing.

Loads of juicy citrus hops on the nose--tangerine and grapefruit primarily--followed by a strongly herbal, lightly medicinal character.

Palate shows off the herbal hops, almost to the exclusion of anything else. Earthy and dry and quite woody, brightened a bit by a touch of fresh-squeezed citrus. There is a subtle sweet caramel malt backbone, though it's all but drowned out by the hops. Not the most flavorful IPA I've had, but an interesting hop profile.

Medium bodied, firm and dry. This beer has a strange resemblance to a dry white wine, with the earthy-woody character followed by bright citrus and the almost intensely dry mouthfeel. Not exactly heralded, but overrated in my opinion.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz. can poured into DogFish Head signature glass (June 17, 2010). "Best By 12/05/2010" is printed on the lower rim.

Eyes: Pours an darkish orange-copper color with almost zero haze. A modest head of eggshell-orange foam forms and laces modestly after a vigorous pour.

Nose: A solid jolt of citrus and pine notes.

Tongue: Very hop forward in the "West Coast" style; bitter, zesty, citrus rind, pine, with just a hint of malt. A good combination of flavors, but not as perfectly balanced as I might have liked.

Mouth: Quite smooth for the bitterness, and the carbonation is set well so as not to sharpen the hoppyness too much.

Libation: Despite my less that stellar experience with another IPA from Ska, I've heard good things about Ska in general, and this beer in particular. Though this is very good, and much better than their Decadent DIPA, I'm not sure if this particular type of IPA suits my taste. I like the hop statement made, but I'm not sure there is enough malt to make this great.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Solid showing of thick head with great retention, caramel to light brown in color with a hint of orange, lots of sticky spots of lace in the interior of the glass, no visible carbonation in the beer - 4.50, S: Quite pungent and with strong grapefruit and dark fruit aromas, thick malts with a sturdy sweetness - like a rum soaked lemon cake, without knowing any better I might have guessed the nose as a double IPA or even a barley wine - 4.50, T: Tons of hop flavors and a solid dose of bittering, some caramel malts but they play second fiddle to the hops, grapefruit and orange with a tinge of pine - 4.00, M: The low carbonation creates a very smooth mouth feel, thick and with a medium body - 4.00, D: A solid IPA, heavy on the hops and very drinkable - 4.00

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a golden/copper color our of the can with two fingers of head and lacing that is quite nice from my perspective

S - Piney hop aroma that is very inviting. Some citrus and floral notes as well.

T - Pine and citrus yet again, they hops are delightful and the malty finish left behind is great too.

M - High in carbonation but very smooth, really dances on the palate.

D - This IPA is great, and to my surprise comes from a can... Keep an open mind and enjoy those craft brews, even if they come from a can!

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to a74gent for this 12 oz can.

A: The can opens with a small pop. Poured into my tumbler, 2/3rd of the can leads to an overflow. After cleaning up the mess, I poured the rest out. As the full head receded, continents of lace stayed behind. An amber hued ale lingers under the impressive head.

S: The nose is wicked strong with resiny pine hops. Fragrant lavender and herbs follow in short order. The astringency is unmistakeable, bitter and all.

T: Floral, herbal, piney, stinky. The IPA doesn't shy away from its leafy aspects. Citrus, pine and dandelion are strong, supported by plenty of flowers and grass. The bitterness is dank, leafy and green. There's no sense in mentioning pale malts, no need to discuss such a small factor. Come for the hops and stay for the hops. A great hop profile squeezed into this can.

M: Oily, resiny hops, floral and full, coat the tastebuds with every sip. The flowery bitterness sticks around for a long time.

D: I thumbed my nose at Ska until I cracked the tab on this can. A serious IPA that packs a strong punch.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

12 ounce can. More breweries should can. Pours a nice golden amber with a small head and a lot of lace. Smell is of pine and some citrus, no malt to this beer. Oily mouthfeel due to the hops ... though in this case it's not a bad thing. Hops are the only thing you can taste when drinking this ... pine, followed by grass, chased by pear. Everything you want in an American IPA. Imminently drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz can poured into a 20 oz pub glass. A little more than an inch of white head jumps up. Specks of lacing here and there as it tapers down. Color is a bright and clear copper.

Smell is a hops bonanza. Stabbing american hops are bitter. Lots of pine aromas instead of citrus. It is so piney I even get a little mint. Some pale malts try to keep a beat, but who cares. It's all about the hops. As expected, the hops are a blaring horn section in the taste. In the finish I get a cooling mint sensation at the top of my mouth. Solid medium body with a crisp carbonation makes it surprisingly refreshing. Some times hop-bombs can be exhausting from the bitterness. Not here. I'm ready to put on my creepers and pork pie hat and go hit the dance halls

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a can into a Sam Admas perfect pint

A-Very deep amber almost to an orange. Thick creamy head that laces like a spider web that nearly makes it so you cant see thru the glass. Very good looking beer!

S-Nose is very citrusy with slight undertones of piny hops, very subtle sweetness masked mostly by the mass amount of hops

T-Now this was a shocker from the nose I thought it would be a citrusy IPA...DEAD WRONG, this is a piny and delecious bastard. really all you can say the pine masks most all the other flavors save for the slight alcohol finish.

M&D-Very smooth and thick IPA still a medium body but very smooth and near creamy. Drinkability well I'll just say this its in a can which means I have found my new river beer!

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Another fun sample from my friends George & Dale, this one shows a clear copper color with a goodly off-white head and decent dashes of lace. The aroma is piny hops and grainy malt, very pleasant. The taste brings beautiful piny hops and grassy highlights with a subtle caramel malt. The feel is a tad tangy with orange citrus in a solidly mid bodied brew. A delicious IPA in a can with solid carbonation and highly drinkable!

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark amber with a thick white foam. Great retention and lacing throughout.

Strong aroma of citrus and pine with a muted malt presence in the background.

Fantastic flavor profile. The citrusy and piney hops combined with the subdued malt creates a bitter and hoppy beer. But the hop bitterness isn't quite the blast you expect, even with the milder malt profile. Not too excessive, but I wouldn't say the balance between the malts and the hops are even on this one. Not that I care, since I prefer the hop profile in IPA's.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium. Pretty drinkable, though it would get tiring after a couple with the bitterness.

Big, bad hop-bomb in a can. This is a great canned beer to bring where bottles dare not tread. Ultimately, there isn't quite enough malt to balance the hops, but this is a pinnacle of its type: I just want more balance. Love, love, love the 2Tone Ska branding and will have to make a stop next time I'm in Colorado.

A: Flufy head as this golden-brown brew pours from the can. Even just looking at the beer pour, my nose starts to pick up the piny resin as the head laces the glass. Nicely carbonated as the small (.25 mm) bubbles float up.
S: Piny resin powerfully fills my nostrils as I inhale, enjoying the power of the pine and citrus.
T: Whoa! Did not expect the power of the resinous hops from the canned beer, even after being prepped by the smell. Big hops, but not very subtle either. Almost (but not quite) overwhelming. I wish there was a bigger malt profile to balance the hops.
M: Nice and chewy; medium body that supports the astringent hops.
D: I can imagine having too many of these, but the hops are so pronounced that one will usually be enough.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a can into a perfect pint.

Pours a bright, slightly hazy amber. Produces an above average sized, foamy head that perfectly fills the glass to the rim, very picturesque. Scent is very hoppy and aromatic. Taste follows suit with lots of resiny, grassy hops and a faint malt backbone. Perhaps my favorite aspect is the big hop punch without a sticky lingering bitterness. Drinkability is really good with this one too. Could have easily finished the whole sixer despite clocking in at just under 7%.

Edit: Picked this up again as part of a mix pack and had to tweak my review a little bit as it was more flavorful and aromatic than I remember, maybe I got a fresher can this time.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Purchased from Binny's Beverage Depot in Warrenville, IL. Pours a bright, clear amber body with a fluffy off white head. Aroma is very thick on the hops! Big malt backbone that supports the very long hop finish. This beer is a hop head's delight! Awesome IPA.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can

A: dark amber with a 2-fingered head that leaves significant lacing around the glass

S: wonderful pine and citrus hop aromas that engulf any other smells

T: awesome flavorful, bitter hops with very little balance to be had (a good thing in IPAs imo) Some oily hop goodness leftover on my tongue after each sip.

M: medium with a dry finish

D: fantastically hoppy, crisp & refreshing. Very highly recommended, I'm glad this is being distributed in MO!

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.