Hibernal Vinifera Stout | Ska Brewing Co.

Hibernal Vinifera StoutHibernal Vinifera Stout

Ska Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
skabrewing.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Oak Aged Foreign-style stout brewed with Malbec grape juice.

Added by JMBSH on 12-29-2012

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with chocolate milk head. Heavy lacing. Chocolate and smoke flavors with a hint of grape. Taste buds strain to get more.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Black with brown edges and a large tan frothy head. Flame-shaped peaks of surround the entire glass.

Lots of roastiness fills the nose, followed by coffee, cocoa powder, wood, raisin, and nuts.

Taste is bakers chocolate and heavily roasted malt verging on toasted sesame with prune and hints of grape and blueberry.

Body is thinner than expected, lightly fizzy, with a semi-dry finish

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.92/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very dark brown color with brown-mahogany edges and light brown head. Smell is immediately of red wine and American stout. Roast espresso, light chocolate flavors, and red wine. Nice mouthfeel, overall a very surprising blend of flavors that works better than expected.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ink black with a firm head of light mocha-colored foam on top. Powerful aroma; burnt black malt, herbal hops, coffee, chocolate, currants, hickory or oak. Impressive smells, not what I'm used to in export stouts. Tasting brings out a sweeter character that it's aroma might have suggested. Carmalized borwn sugar seems to be a dominant flavor, but also espresso, an almost rum-like character to it. A tad woody, a tad smokey, mostly roasty and inviting. Hops play a passive role, adding a bit of roundess to the taste, keeping the sweetness from overpowering the more nuanced tastes. Finishes on a sticky, lasting bittersweet note.

Overall, I really like this stout. Full bodied, lots going on. Not your typical stout, more sweet and more earthen-like flavors. A great seasonal from the usually lackluster Ska Brewery. Wish I knew what the hell the name meant.

3.32/5  rDev -16.2%

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.93/5  rDev +24.5%

Yumm. Didn't really realize exactly what I was ordering...I only knew it was the rotating Ska stout on tap. My companions went with pilsners and lighter beers on a fairly hot end of August afternoon, but I have never been disappointed in any Ska beverages in my glass and was not disappointed. As I mentioned, all I knew was that this Ska was a stout and nothing else about it, not even the whole name. Under the circumstances, a late lunch on the restaurant patio in late summer, I feel like it was the perfect stout to have. Not as heavy, creamy, or bitter as many stouts, I found it refreshing. The dominant flavor to me being a sweet, carmel-ly, coffee, with none of those three adjectives being dominant or overwhelming. A hint of carbonation made me wonder if it was on nitro, but it was not. I imagine it would be wonderful if it was on a nitro tap!
About 2/3rds through my pint, our Bavarian pretzel appetizer came with both slightly spicy mustard and beer cheese that seemed to pair really well. That was when I also began to question the ABV. I'm not a big fan of many high ABV beers that I feel like I can taste the alcohol, if that makes sense. So when I asked our server about it and he told us he thought it was only 5 to 6%, I figured it must have been my empty stomach making me feel the effects.
The misinformation about ABV also gave me less inhibition about joining in for a second round with my meal and my fellow companions. Although plenty flavorful, my tastebuds did not get overwhelmed by the second glass. It also paired nicely with my blackened salmon sandwich.
Looking back, after looking up the details of what I drank, I'm sure some of the sweetness was from the grapes....makes sense....though I'm glad I was able to try it without preconceived expectations. The complexity of the flavors gives the beverage just a taste of fruitiness.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

From a 12oz can to a miniature snifter.

Look: Deep dark black with a tan head that retains quite well while leaving a sexy lacing down the glass. Looks inviting!

Smell: Roasted malt, phenolic fruit, sweet grape and sharp oak. nice!

Taste: Sweet back note to a nice bitter roasted malt. Acidic wine and dry oak flavor on the back end. Very well balanced. This is by far the best wine/stout I've had, well done Ska!

Feel: Great full body and little carbonation. The oak and wine help dry out the finish but leave your taste buds tantalized!

Overall: One of my favorites. Great format, great price, and perfectly what it is suppose to be!

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev -1.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hibernal Vinifera Stout from Ska Brewing Co.