Hibernal Vinifera Stout | Ska Brewing Co.

Hibernal Vinifera StoutHibernal Vinifera Stout
3.93/5
Very Good
Hibernal Vinifera StoutHibernal Vinifera Stout

Ska Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
skabrewing.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Oak Aged Foreign-style stout brewed with Malbec grape juice.

Added by JMBSH on 12-29-2012

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

A - pours a nice heady black with some tinges of mocha in the full quarter-inch head; there's a nice consistent lacing that coats the glass upon consumption

S - coffee; hints of dark chocolate; I can smell very subtle hints of grape

T - mirrors the smell quite well, with those notes of grape coming through in a sweet-oak-coffee combo that is quite delicious; there are pleasant hop notes and the sweet-grape elements make this a really unique flavor

M - very well-balanced and the grape elements create a medium-bodied feel that isn't at all overwhelming or too stouty

O - overall, this is a really tasty beer that hits on multiple flavor notes without seeming like it's trying too hard; the grape/oak/coffee stout is surprisingly balanced and extremely tasty; at 8%, these flavors hide the alcohol entirely: I could session this badboy!

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Dark ruby almost black if not for a light to hold it up to. A hard pour gave a good sized head that shrank to a nice coating on top. As I drank, a bit of lacing was left on all sides of the glass.

S - A faint but noticible coffee aroma.

T - Coffee, toasted oak, a bit of chocolate. A sweetness that I can't really describe that is followed by the hop bitterness that while not overpowering does seem to hang around a fair bit. After about half of the glass is gone I thought I detected a grape-like flavor that was hidden by the hop bitterness.

M - Not as "thick" as some stouts but it also doesn't seem thin by any means.

O - Very tasty. I suspect the grape juice might have helped with the sweetness that i tasted that complemented the coffee notes. The oak was more noticed as I first tried it. I liked this beer. The only thing I wish Ska had don't was not about the beer but their website. They teased about info about the beer but I followed every link I could and couldn't find anything about it.

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
Hibernal Vinifera Stout from Ska Brewing Co.