Kotayk Dark Lager | Pivzavod Abovian

Pivzavod Abovian
Armenia
kotayk.am

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by UncleJimbo on 08-13-2002

Reviews by pnkermiz:
3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

Surprisingly good, and with more character than the "regular" and lighter Kotayk Lager. Of course, I may be slightly biased because its the only beer I've found in the U.S. from my homeland. My father stockpiles cases in his basement. I've never seen it on tap though. Maybe someday...

2.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Kotayk dark Lager, from Armenia: coffee and cream head, thick and rocky. The beer is deep amber, with a little haze. It comes in a light colored green bottle, with crowns embossed in the side of the bottle. The aroma is clean and understated. The taste is heavily malt, with coffee and toffee tastes. There is a slight aftertaste of licorice. All in all, very uninspiring.

Presentation:
330ml Green Glass bottle.

Appearance:
Deep, dark brownish-bronze with a tan, fluffy head. Pretty much what I expected--nothing out of the ordinary.

Aroma:
Fairly balanced, but the scales seemed to be tipped towards an interesting hop profile that I have not yet experienced. Reminds me of some of the Czech. beers I've had, but there are some other things going on here.

Taste:
First sip was all metal. Metal gives way to some sweet malt and some spicyness from the hops. I got away from my beer from a few and it warmed up. Wow what a difference! Drinking like a porter or light stout now with coffee and licorice and a very creamy mouthfeel.

Overall:
One of the better Armenian beers I've had, but overall just an average beer

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%

Heavy green bottle. 6.2% abv
It pours a rootbeer color with a fast fading beige head and minimal lacing.
The sweet doughy aroma reminds me of baked apple brown Betty. The malt is syrupy honey sweet and a little herbal tasting. A mild metallic bite with a mild citrusy taste makes up the bitterness. The body is nearly buttery. This is not a bad beer.

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz, green glass bottle, capped, no date information.

This beer poured a clear, deep chestnut color with creamy, light brown foam that settled but clung to the glass a bit. The smell was sweet and malty with a touch of cocoa and caramel. The taste was rather sweet and malty with flavors of cocoa, caramel, roasted malt, and some phenols in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and malty with medium body and medium carbonation. There was a roasty caramel aftertaste. This was a decent dark lager, though perhaps a little too sweet.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%