El Jefe Weizen Ale | Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub

Added by cvschaller on 03-12-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 104
2.25/5  rDev -37%

Purchased from BevMo in Sacramento ("Beverages...More than we can sell"?) Not too impressive, a dissapointment from a good brewery. Hazy, but oxidized looking, leaving no lace, and indeed the foam disappeared before too long. Boring and thin, undercarbonated, with no real flavor virtues that I look for in the style. No clove or banana, but I can't take points off for that because it's not a German wheat, it's American. Under-attenuated. Sweet and sticky, not over the top but just enough to make it unappealing. I don't know if it's an old bottle or not--no date on the bottle. Two of us had trouble finishing just one bottle. The mild hops are one of the only things we enjoyed. This would not be refreshing on a hot day, so I can't say this fits the style very well. Sorry Hales, better luck next time.

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

Serving: Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Color: Dark yellow/orange with a medium haze.

Smell: Some citrus and banana.

Taste: Sour with a slight citrus. The after taste reminds of what my mouth felt like after eating Sour Straws as a kid.

2.06/5  rDev -42.3%

22 oz bomber poured into a weisbierglas. Big frothy white head of at least 1.5 inches fills to the top. I don't really pick up much nose, maybe some hops.
First pull tastes faintly lemony or fruity in some way. Next I start smelling bathroom cleaner and, by goodness, I think I'm drinking the 'scrubbing bubbles'.
I poured out the remaining 2/3 of the bottle. This offering from Hale's falls far short of Widmer or Pyramid for sure. It's not even on the same scale as the Bavarians.
When I studied in Seattle in the early 1990's, Hale's Pale Ale was the first micro that I really, really liked. Bummer, El Jefe tastes like the boss of the janitors!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last