Rudyard's Rare (Barrel Aged) | Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub

Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub
Washington, United States
halesbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by barleywinefiend on 08-16-2013

Reviews by William85:
4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a crimsonish color with garnett highlights a little white head struggles to appear and stay...no dice. The little fizzy white head faded fast leaving a quiet beer with no bubbles or lacing

S: Shot of bourbon anyone? Yup, bourbon soaked fruitcake and more of it, big vanilla nose, nice oakiness. It was hefty.

T: Initial blast is boozey, probably 15% boozey. Sharp and oungent alcohol really slams the taste buds. A big vanilla note is noted and it hangs around. The dominant flavors for me were a mix of bourbon soaked fruitcake and chocolate covered dark fruits. A big underlying sweetness on this. The finish is hot, sweet, sticky.

M: Medium-ful to full bodied. Not really hearty and filling per se, carbonation was low which is ok for the style and expected but I believe the lack of carbonation only accenuated the heat of this beer. It felt sticky sas well. Don't get me wrong, it's not like HoTD flat, it still had a little zip to it

O: In your face barleywine. In five years this thing would be money, now, hot damn, its dangeous. All of that booze and sugar....watch out. I sought this out because I love bwines and like Rudyards Rare. This is a first sighting for me. I hope they bottle this. A little less time on the barrel would have been nice.

Rudyard's Rare (Barrel Aged) from Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub