Long Trail India Pale Ale | Long Trail Brewing Co.

Long Trail India Pale AleLong Trail India Pale Ale
3.59/5
Good
Long Trail India Pale AleLong Trail India Pale Ale

Long Trail Brewing Co.
Vermont, United States
longtrail.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Real India Pale Ale (IPA), as it was first brewed in the days of the British Empire, was not the carefully filtered brew that we call IPA beer today. The first IPAs were unfiltered and featured extra hops and higher strength as a preservative for the long trip from England to the colony of India. Our Traditional IPA ale is naturally carbonated, dry-hopped & unfiltered like the old days.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000

firstprev| 1151-1175 | 1176-1200 | 1201-1225  | next → last
Ratings: 1,215 |  Reviews: 418
3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a small white head. Decent bit of lacing. Smells quite floral and sweet. Not overly hoppy as I expected, though they are there.

The taste is rather nice for an IPA. There's almost a honey like quality to the malt up front. That quickly subsides and you're left with a moderate amount of hops that aren't overly bitter. Not the best representation of the style, which is probably why I liked it so much. I would never set out to buy this on it's own, it came as part if the Long Trail mixed 12.

Finally, an IPA that even I can like. This probably tastes like dog water to real hop heads.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Light honey color with a low, beige, frothy head. Fine lacing down the glass as I drink. Aroma is low, but floral hop and sweet fruit can be detected. Flavor is delicate, with a surprisingly low hop profile, some pear and apple, and a piney finish. Lingering aftertaste is a bit metallic, which detracts overall. Many other stronger IPA's to choose from.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dirty white head that left a good amount of lacing. The smell is along the lines of sweet butterscotch hops. Light copper colored beer, nice and clear. There is a lot of diacetyl in the flavor with a little bit of citrus hops, and a lightly bitter aftertaste. The body is middle of the road, and fairly light. I prefer a bit more hopiness in my IPAs. It's not bad, just not all that great.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle claims it to be one of the hoppiest IPA's made...uhhh I don't taste it that way...

Great looking beer....clean, clear, amber...bubbly white head..

Nose is more herbal, or tobacco like than anything else..not a real strength in my eyes..err ears...

Taste has some bitterness to it on the finish...some piney notes...not much citrus...maybe some earthy qualities..I don't think this is loaded with hops at all but it is somewhat unblanced...the body is light for an IPA and the malt load seems pretty low...thus the bitterness is relatively strong on the finish..

Not my type of IPA...I generally like the beers this brewery makes but I would not buy this again..

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear light amber color. A little too light for an IPA IMO, but decent looking. A medium sized white head caps it off and recedes to a collaring that laces sporadically. Great aroma. It's got that West Coast feel to it. Sweet grapefruit pulp. Cannabis. Pine sap. Resin. Oh yeah. I love it. The taste is very crisp and clean and seemingly a West Coast style IPA. It doesn't have the Huge bitterness associated with the West Coast, but the hop flavors are delicious and reminiscent of many WC IPAs I've had in the past. Dry and bitter. A little raw and resiny. Piney and grapefruity. Sappy. Under all the hop overatures lays a nice little biscuity type of malt profile. I like this one. Once again Long Trail impresses. One fine Vermont Brewery.

Gotta thank my sis in one of these reviews. She picked up a case of mixed Vermont beers for me on her travels out East and this is the last I have to review from it.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Nice hoppy aroma and decent color..dark yellow gold. Very nice hop smell with a semi-tart taste that lingers just the right amount of time. Hopped, but not to the point of distraction. Mouthfeel is smooth with enough body to be well-rounded. Not the hoppiest IPA, but very drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a pale amber with a small white head. One of the most hoppy brews in the states? Naw. But the hops are quite up front and tasty. a decent brew, but not an ipa to call friends about. stick with one of the maltier brews offered by long trail. . .

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Bright golden color with a fat white head that has large, fish-eye type bubbles. Lasts well until the end of the beer.
Smells of lemony sweetness, but not citrus hops. Strange.
The taste is sweet, light crystal malt and upfront with hop bitterness that takes over as if an aggressive hop was used for bittering but not flavor. This makes it seem to have the bitterness, but not alot of hop taste. The taste of hops comes at the end where a sticky hop lasts to the end. The malt is over ruled. Very interesting in how this happens. When looking at specs, Pale ale and IPA have an overlap between high and low of the IBU's. This beer sits in that range, which appeals to me as a Pale Ale fan. Beef up the malt and not the ABV and this be great. Otherwise its good and I enjoyed it.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle, bottled on March 7. Bright gold, rather light in color for an IPA, with a white head that lasts to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is of bitter, slightly resinous hops with some sweet malt and a hint of graininess.

NOT "one of the HOPPIEST brews in the States," but definitely a drinkable IPA with a healthy wallop of bitterness that sits on the front rather than the back of the tongue. Some slightly citric resinous hop flavor, but also a lot of earthy bitterness as well. The malt is slightly grainy/husky, but has some slight, rather decoction-like sweetness. The finish is bitter, green apple/Thompson's Seedless grape skin and a whiff of alcohol. Seems to be a lot closer to an English IPA than a typical American IPA, but lacks some of the body & mouthfeel.

This is easily the most average IPA I've had to date. The appearance was a little paler than I would have liked. It smelled ok, I've smelt better and worse beers. The taste had some hops and some malt, but they were just kind of there, they weren't really adding anything to this beer. I had no problem drinking this, but it did not make me want to drink more. I don't know exactly what it is but this beer just didn't do it for me. I didn't really like it, but at the same time there was nothing that I flat out didn't like about it. I just found it offered nothing new, interesting, or particularly good. At the same time there was nothing there that I really disliked. If I could be apathetic about a beer, I guess this would be that beer.

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

I have to guess that this is part of a mistake-batch. The appearrance is fine, amber with a nice head, the bubbles are a little big. Smell has a little caramel and some hop spice. Taste - One of the hoppiest brews? no. one of the wateriest brews, yes. wicked thin mouthfeel, horrible aftertaste. If I could pick up any real evidence of spoilage I would not review it, but this is just sad. To call this an IPA is strange. I can tell you what would I call it, but....

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

An average pour delivered by Long Trail's IPA.Some white lacing and a light gold color.A light bodied IPA with a crisp mouthfeel.A long bitter and wheat finish.Not as hoppy as I would of thought.The neck label states it is "one of the hoppiest brews in the states".I doubt it can beat Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale for that tile.Citrus,malt,grapefruit are noted on the taste.Very good hop aroma and taste.An overall well crafted IPA.Well balanced but nothing exceptional.Pine taste with a real hop bitterness,and a dry finish.

4.13/5  rDev +15%

A nice IPA for those that may be discovering the style. Pours with a nice white head, giving way to a finely bubbled lace. Settles into a beautiful clear golden hue. Nose is a mixture of fresh hops & slightly biscuity malts, first taste is hops, some medium-bodied malt, and a nice crisp hop finish. I find this to be quite drinkable without being a hop-monster or highly alcoholic...not that I have a problem with those! On par with Harpoons version of an IPA. Good brewery, BTW, try the Double Bag ale!

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Clear, golden color with a nice rocky head. Aroma is all hops, and a long-lasting hop bitterness. Very one-dimentional, however. Needs something to contrast the hops. Worth a try, but not great.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with a clearly marked freshness date.

Appearance: Golden/amber with frothy lace of a head.

Smell: Esters, ripe fruitiness with malt sweetness and hop aroma.

Taste: Smooth mouthfeel with an up-front combination of malt sweetness, light caramel notes and semi-sharp, almost lemony hop bitterness, that leaves the palate with an oily/raw hop flavour.

Notes: I've reviewed this brew before, and made mention that the hops overwhelms the malt. It still holds true. This brew, by no means, is a bad brew. It's simply that the hops selected for this brew tend to dominate, snuff out a nice malt profile, and linger too long. Still very much worth a try.

firstprev| 1151-1175 | 1176-1200 | 1201-1225  | next → last
Long Trail India Pale Ale from Long Trail Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.59 out of 5 with 1,215 ratings