Double Bag | Long Trail Brewing Co.

Double BagDouble Bag

Long Trail Brewing Co.
Vermont, United States
longtrail.com

Style: Altbier

This malty, full-bodied double alt is also known as “Stickebier” – German slang for “secret brew”. Long Trail Double Bag was originally offered only in our brewery taproom as a special treat to our visitors. With an alcohol content of 7.2%, please indulge in moderation. The Long Trail Brewing Company is proud to have Double Bag named Malt Advocate’s “Beer of the Year” in 2001. Malt Advocate is a national magazine devoted to “expanding the boundaries of fine drinks”. Their panel of judges likes to keep things simple, and therefore of thousands of eligible competitors they award only two categories: “Imported” and “Domestic”. It is a great honor to receive this recognition.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-08-1999

Liked:
3.87/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,711 |  Reviews: 577
3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

I opened a bottle and poured it into a pint glass. As I drank the beer I found a nice lacing on the glass.

The Color is a deep amber.

The Aroma has hints of caramel malt

There is nice thick mouthfeel.

The Flavor has a caramel bitter to it, with a well deserved average rating.

My vote is to give it a shot and then move on.

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz bottle into my Notch 0.5L pint glass
A- clear bronze, foamy head with nice lacings - outstanding. What beer should look like.
S - slight sweetness, yeasty
T - malty sweetness, caramel, a little citrus flavor, well rounded taste. Doesn't taste like 7.2%
M - just a little crunchiness, maybe a little flat
O - an old stand by, one of my go-to brews when I'm not sure what I want. Nice ale with a high alcohol content. Very drinkable. Plus for Vermont.

1.25/5  rDev -67.7%

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a moderate haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy ivory foam. Attractive.

Smell: big, sweet malt with a strong caramel character and some earthy undertones. It appeals to me, and is quite stylistically appropriate.

Taste: sweet, very caramelly malt with earthy and slightly citrusy hops. Bitterness is pretty heavy for the style, but the beer is pretty balanced. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation, although the texture is not as smooth or creamy as I would have expected for a beer with this sweetness. Decent.

Overall: this is a tasty beer, but it's a bit sweet and bitter for me for the style. Not exactly a session ale.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Amber, little to no head effect.

Smell: Not particularly strong. I can smell malts, and almost a medicinal smell.

Taste: The first thing I thought when I tasted this was: "I need cheese!" This beer roared at me, basically demanding some kind of cut, blocked cheese. Anyway, this is weirdly sweet and bitter at the the same time. Can taste a solid balance of hops and malts, and then an astringent after taste. I actually like this, and I'm kind of surprised. Probably not something I'd drink all the time though.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but slightly almost... syrupy at the end? Light carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, and I might pick some more up sometime.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Double Bag from Long Trail Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 73% out of 100 with 1,711 ratings