Long Trail Ale | Long Trail Brewing Co.

good
Long Trail AleLong Trail Ale

Long Trail Brewing Co.
Vermont, United States
longtrail.com

Style: Altbier

Long Trail Ale is a full-bodied amber ale modeled after the “Alt-biers” of Düsseldorf, Germany. Our top fermenting yeast and cold finishing temperature result in a complex, yet clean, full flavor. Originally introduced in November of 1989, Long Trail Ale beer quickly became, and remains, the largest selling craft-brew in Vermont. It is a multiple medal winner at the Great American Beer Festival.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2002

Ratings: 1,330 |  Reviews: 420

3.95/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

not a huge amber guy, but I love me a proper altbier, and this is mighty proper. a beer ive fallen back to time and time again, and one of my favorite sessions when its ice ice ice cold. it has a dim scent of American and german malts, red and pilsener, with a crisp lager yeast right one cue, although this is an ale, it has that snappy cleanness to it, uncommon for the style, but perfect in this brew. love the barely there hop balance in the finish, almost English in that regard, with the grains being the dominant players. touch of sweetness, touch of bittersweet burnt toffee, touch of bitter hops, touch of fruity punch. outstanding feel, enough body to be a beer drinkers beer, but light enough, and brightly enough carbonated to be refreshing at the same time. if all ambers from the united states were like this one, I might set my ipa down and drink more of them. I absolutely love this beer, when, like I said, it is freezing cold. warmer not so much. a staple in my beer drinking for the last ten years or so.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Very pleasing coppery red color. About a finger and a half of head. Solid, nice lacing. I didn't note significant carbonation. Pretty clear for the color.

S - A note of banana, some mild wheat and hops.

T - Banana on the tip of the tongue, again with the mild hops, a bit of a malty profile (but milder than a traditional red ale). Some wheat (less dry than rye, but similar) in the profile. Not bad. Mostly unremarkable, but not bad. Reminds me of Boston Lager, in that it's a slightly more complex drink with a lager's sensibility.

M - Exactly middling. Not bad, but not particularly good. A little thin, the barest hint of oil, no adverse feel from carbonation or alcohol. A little dry in the finish.

O - This is an ale that is cold fermented (lagered), and it drinks like it. This is about as perfectly as I can sum up a standard, basic ale, that isn't bad (and is quite drinkable), but is otherwise unremarkable. It doesn't stand out to me in any way, other than the slightly out of place banana aroma and flavor. I absolutely wouldn't mind having one or two of these, but I won't go out of my way for it, or purchase it over a good lager or a better ale.

Long Trail Ale from Long Trail Brewing Co.