Blackbeary Wheat | Long Trail Brewing Co.

Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat
3.13/5
Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat

Long Trail Brewing Co.
Vermont, United States
longtrail.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew combines 2-Row Pilsen malt, a hint of Crystal malt, and of course, plenty of malted wheat. A hint of blackberry at the finish makes this beer a real thirst quencher! For the health conscious, Blackbeary Wheat has less than 6 grams of carbs and only 110 calories per bottle!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2002

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer pours a bold, clear yellow with a thin fleeting head. It's aroma is of blackberries, of course, with honey and pine notes. Well balanced. The flavor begins with citrus, like a witbier, then follows through with blackberry, vanilla, and dough flavors. Again well balanced with a pleasant blackberry finish. Blackbeary Wheat has a light mouthfeel which contributes to it's high drinkability. Very refreshing anytime beer. Recommended!

3.62/5  rDev +15.7%

Straw color in the glass with a slight white head, lots of bubble activity shooting up from bottom.

Blackberry dominates the nose with some subtle sweet grain in the backgound and a slight floral bouquet.

Carbonation stings the sides of the mouth with a verry slight blackberry tartness up front - little to no sweetness from the fruit, then finnishes with a rounded wheat flavor in the back. A verry nice fruit beer, as the blackberry is very subtle in taste and mainly used for it's tartness, with just a hint of sweetness coming through.

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%

I usually hate fruit and vegetable beers. This one was not bad..I enjoyed one after a bit of lawn mowing.

Pours a clear gold color with a delicate, bubbly medium size head. Retention is not bad. No lacing. Smell is not strong...some grassy hops and the blackberry. The blackberry aroma is pleasant, many fruit and vegetable beers have a nasty artificial aroma.

The taste is ok, subtle blackberry flavors in a fairly good lager beer. Some malt and grassy hops are detectable as well.

Mouthfeel is about average for a lager. It is nice and crisp. The fruit flavor is not too sweet or artificial tasting. Drinkability is pretty good. Everything is mild and pleasant. The fruit adds to rater than detracts from the beer. Overall, not bad.

3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

A-Light yellow with a thin head.

S-Light wheat and blackberry. Pretty mellow smelling beer.

T-By no means a very flavorful beer. However the light blackberry flavor combined with the wheat aftertaste is not too shabby.

M-Very light. High carbonation. Watery.

D-This beer is quite drinkable. No overpowering flavors and the alcohol content is low. Easily able to drink a sixpack. A nice beer to drink when its hot out. Take it for what it is. A relaxed mix of wheat and berry. This beer is waaay better than its rating in my opinion. Its light, refreshing, and has my favorite fruit...nothing wrong here!

2.61/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear gold with a finger of foamy white head that disappeared quickly with no lacing.

The smell is blackberry but with a real boozy, alcohal flavor that makes me turn my nose away. Smells a bit like a wine color or malt liquer.

The taste is unfortunaly a lot like the nose. A strong boozy flavor pushes any real blackberry flavor and hides the wheat flavor completely.

On the good side there is a nice refreshing feel to this beer and it goes down well. Any negatives are light on the palate and does not stand for very long in your mouth. My least favorite beer from Long Trail brewery that usual makes a pretty good beer. With the recipe adjusted this could be alot better.

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Yellow, clear, decent head, not too inviting. Does not look like a wheat (perhaps a kristalweizen?)

S - Nope, not a kristalweizen. Smells much like cassis (a blackcurrant syrup the French sometimes add to champagne or white wine to make Kir)

T - Taste's somewhat like a Kir, not as good, and not much like a beer at all. I couldn't taste any barley. What is this?

M - Light body, very very effervescent.

D - One was enough. Interesting I suppose, but something I would try to avoid in the future..

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

poured for a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Yellow to light orange color. 1 finger head fizzles down to nill in about 15 seconds. Pretty much no lacing, but plenty of carbonation is visible. smells of wheat and fruit, reminiscent of a fruity white wine. Tastes like wheat with very little fruit flavor. A little sweet and a little sour, but neither is very prominent. The beer is very thin and goes down like water..unfortunately. Despite the bland flavor it is very drinkable.

I remember this beer being better. Maybe I was dumber, younger or both. But I also remember this tasting much better IN the bottle. All and all it's not bad, just not exciting, but very drinkable nonetheless.

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. A single finger of off-white colored head formed quickly and dissipated almost as fast; very little lacing. The body is a clear straw yellow color.

The nose is mostly grainy, grass-like aromas with a hint of fruit (berries, I suppose) and pale malts.

The taste is pretty similar to the nose...artificial fruit flavor sourly sits on top of a grainy backbone. Not much more to say here...

The mouth feel is light and watery with high amounts of carbonation.

Meh...it's drinkable, but I am not sure why one would. Many other fruit beers out there that put this one to shame.

2.96/5  rDev -5.4%

It looks nice coming out of the bottle, downhill after that.
The smell is faint berry smell, almost nothing.
The taste again is almost nothing. No beer taste and no blackberry taste. The finish is like flavored water.
Tastes like flavored water and feels like flavored water, but water is easy drinking. This was our July BOTM choice.
Not terrible just not much of anything.

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle with my pb&j

app: straw golden with a slight head.

Smell: Wonderful smell! Sweet berries and crisp, husky wheat malt. The carbonation comes through and adds to the aroma.

Taste: Starts with the sweet fruity flavor that flanks the palate. Not much in the middle. Super crisp, dry finish. Slight husk that lingers on.

I'll have to try it on draught. The good people of vermont swear by this beer.

2.92/5  rDev -6.7%

This is taken from an entry in my beer journal on 12/30/09

Appearance: Very light amber colour, almost a very pale yellow. About an inch of head upon pouring, dissipated rather quickly. Visible carbonation.

Smell: Light hints of fruit, almost smells like blueberry rather than blackberry.

Taste: Extremely yeasty, bready taste. It is rather watery as well, thin-bodied. Bland. When compared to the smell, the taste leaves much to be desired.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. Very crisp, decent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: What is there to drink? Very similar to a seltzer or sparkling water. Would be good in the summer.

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

A clear pale yellow gold with a fair white cover and decent lacing. The aroma includes grape jelly and wheat, berry sweetness with a very Kool-Aid/soda sort of attraction. The flavor brings a firm rice cereal wheat with a tasteful cherry-like berry overtone. Although there is a fair amount of lively carbonation evident, it quickly washes away into a fairly watery feeling brew, thin, very drinkable if you like these flavors. There is a faint citrus hop dryness in the finish that gets your tongue. With the right mindset, this isn't a bad fruit flavored beer, something for the picnic or golf outing perhaps. Not a mouth watering choice though.

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a pale golden hue with a bright white head forms speckled scattered lacing as the spritzy head dwindles. Aroma light biscuit malt and some sharp wheat with a touch of blackberry tartness. A typical American fruit infused wheat ale, this is probably a blackberry flavoring added it's not overly sweet, which is a good thing. Light biscuit malts and a sharp slight citrus wheat tanginess comes together with the berry acidity and tart components to make a decent but boring one dimensional flavor. Mouthfeel is light bodied carbonation tickles the back of the throat the finish is heavy with carbonation in the back of the throat it pretty much clears the palate of the flavor. Drinkability yes it's a true sessio beer but I wouldn't be entertained with the flavors offered here to stick with this one for more than a beer or two.

2.87/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Poured into a beer mug from the bottle. Very little haze for a wheat. The clear-ness kind of surprises me, as does it's ultra-pale color. Nearly head-less though, dissipating moments after the pour.

S- A hint of berries, but that's pretty much it! Like other reviewers mentioned, almost a fake-berry scent.

T- Very little wheat flavor for me (did they forget to add it?), finishing with a sour blackberry flavor. Tastes like a light beer with a sour finish. I can't say I don't like the beer, but after tasting so many other craft brews and experiencing their deep flavors, I find myself left wanting...

M- Very, very light. Good carbonation, refreshing! I kept my expectations low, and I was rewarded.

D- I could drink this stuff all night long with no ill consequences. While I wouldn't write home about this beer, I can still see myself drinking a few of these after cutting the grass during a weekend in June.

2.63/5  rDev -16%

Bottle sent my way by gn0sis.

A- Pours an exceptionally clear pale yellow color with bubbles in a continuous stream from bottom to top. A finger worth of fizzy white head adorns the top but dissipates rather quickly and not leaving a trace of lacing.

S- Artificial blackberry flavor with a sprinkle of grain. Not much to this but it's not a real turn off either.

T- Hmm, this is interesting. Tastes eerily similar to one of those Fruit2O flavored water. Definitely not impressed. All that really shows up is the blackberry flavor, but it's just too artificial to be likable.

M- Light-bodied, pretty fizzy. About what I'd expect from a wheat beer (OK, I see this is listed as a fruit/vegetable beer. Still good mouthfeel)

D- Not really. Taste is lacking, needs something more than the fruit flavor. I was hoping more of the traditional wheat flavors would show up in this one, but to no avail.

Thanks again Eric!

3.1/5  rDev -1%

This was a favorite of mine for a while, before I got into tasting some real quality micro-brews out there. Long Trial is not a bad beer to start with, get yourself involved, I always thought it was top notch. Having this now, it tastes sort of like Miller Light laced with blackberry flavoring. It's light, good for the summer, but the taste is lacking, there is not much complexity, and the only thing I can really taste is the blackberry. It's ok, an average beer, I like buying the Long Trail mix-pack, and I don't mind that it's in there, but I wouldn't buy a sixer/twelver just for this. It's average.

2.94/5  rDev -6.1%

A - pours an astonishingly light and clear golden color with very little head
S - smells of wheat and sour blackberry
T - tastes of sour artificial-like blackberry flavors, wheat flavor as well, not too much here though
M - light-bodied, smooth but watery
D - it's drinkable, but I wouldn't really want more than one

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Long hard day of skiing at Stratton VT. Time to unwind with a nice long trail.

A - Very light yellow, clear. Minimal head and lacing.

S - Sweet berry aroma. Decent, not too strong.

T - Berry flavor mixes well with the wheat. Slight malt. Very pleasant.

M - Very light, medium carbonation.

D - I had a couple. Nice light fruit beer if you are in the mood for the style.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. A friend brought some back to Ohio for me from New Hampshire, and it was a delicious treat. It was full of flavor, and the fruit taste was not overbearing, as is the case with many "berry" beers. It still tasted like a beer, not like some juice drink. I recommend this beer to anyone!

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

My beer store is stocking this now so I threw this in a mix and match sixer (2.50 base price)

A - Wow for a fruit beer I didn't expect it to have such a light yellow color. No head to speak of and very little carbonation
S - Smells kind of like slight sour blackberries.
T - Mostly wheat with very little berry flavor which is why it got a better rating than berry weiss I guess.
M - Too light for my liking and it fells little like beer to tell you the truth. More like champagne.
D - I don't think I want any more of this. It was ok to try but really not that great of a fruit beer.

Overall this makes me want to go to my fridge and crack a Lennie Berry Weiss.

2.02/5  rDev -35.5%

I bought a 6 pack of this purely out of curiosity as Im generally not a fruit beer drinker but I thought for sure longtrail could pull something off that I would enjoy like with most of there beers.

This poured an ultra light pale with a white head that lasted for a few seconds and left without a sign of lacing.

I really hate to do it because I love longtrail but this beer lacked in almost every aspect to me. The taste was bland with the slightest hint of bitterness (the bad kind) and barely any blackberry flavor (only the slightest tones in the finish).

I can gaurantee that one bottle I tried will be my last although I will continue to buy longtrail and wish them the best in future beers.

2.82/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this in my fridge... No clue how it got there. Might as well review it!

Hmmm... well, this is a 'fruit' beer... but, there's more of a fruit scent than any true fruit flavor. For a wheat beer, this is crystal clear... hmmm. I'm searching for any hint of a wheat malt flavor, but it's non existent. I will say that there is an odd fruity aftertaste.. but it's verrrry faint, and the flavor is unidentifiable.

I will say that this would be a good thirst quencher as the label suggests... so, drinkability would be higher than any other aspect.

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has a very very light golden color with a small white head no laceing. Besides the weak berry smell not much of anything else going on kind of lackluster. The taste is about the same as the smell for being blackberry wheat you think would be a strong taste of one of the two. Good mouth feel smooth with good carbonation. I find it to be drinkable but would not waste my money on it not worth it no taste.

1.84/5  rDev -41.2%

don't want to be a hater, but didn't like this puppy. too sweet, and nothing else about it was good enough to justify that. good for college girls who want to move beyond Coors Lite?

A - clear, unremarkable.

S - nose was most interesting thing, sweet berry, but no hop or malt

T - Ack.

M - fair

D - I've tried it 2 or 3 times now, out of a variety case, but one at a time is enough.

2.74/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a fluffy pure white head that settles into a sparse cap. Looks like one of those american light lagers. The aroma is of blackberries and grain. The fruit aroma pretty much dominates anything else. The taste is of the wheat malt, kind of grainy with a vegetable note. This is followed by the blackberry flavor which adds a little sweetness and tartness to the brew. The flavor is very light and not all that appealing. The feel is light and fizzy and finishes sweet. The beer drinks ok but I wouldn't want to try it when it gets warm. Basically a light macro with blackberry flavor.

Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail Brewing Co.