Imperial Porter (Brewmaster Series) | Long Trail Brewing Co.

Imperial Porter (Brewmaster Series)Imperial Porter (Brewmaster Series)
86%
Liked This Beer
4.08 w/ 378 ratings
Imperial Porter (Brewmaster Series)Imperial Porter (Brewmaster Series)

Long Trail Brewing Co.
Vermont, United States
longtrail.com

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

Long Trail Imperial Porter features a complex, darkly roasted malt flavor complemented by a thin, creamy head. The abundance of malt is balanced with a variety of hops, creating a clean finish. The recipe has been a homebrew secret that was developed by one of our own brewers. We are proud to present Long Trail Imperial Porter...ENJOY!

Added by Bierman9 on 08-07-2009

Liked:
4.08/5
Alströms:
4.2

4.95/5  rDev +21.3%

A - Pours dark red black/brown, exceptional brown head, poured three fingers thick, retention is good too.

S - intoxicating sweet aroma, period.

T - smooth chocolate and coffee flavors

M - A bit sharp for an imperial porter, but otherwise great

D - could be the most drinkable porter, imperial or not, I have ever had.

I love this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

A- pours a nice deep Starbucks coffee black with a nice caramel, toffee head that dissipates rather quickly.

S- Smells of roasted malt, sweet toffee, some caramel, a lot of coffee in this one.

T- Very well balanced. The chocolate and caramel flavors hit the palate first. It has a long finish, even after a few minuets i can still get a flavor profile on my tongue. there is a big coffee flavor which gives off a bitter taste.

D- For being 8.3% this beer really hides it very well and for this size makes this beer even better. This really stands up for being one of the best potters i have had in a while.

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

I love this porter. I love it in all the right and wrong ways. I'd propose to this beer if I could. Coming on the heels of the Coffee Stout and the Imperial IPA, I had high expectations, but worried they'd just take the coffee out of the stout and call it a porter. Oh how wrong I was.

Appearance: Perfect. This is what all porters should look like. It's dark, with the perfect slightly tan foam, and as perfect clarity as you could hope for.

Smell: Malty aroma balanced perfectly by hints of hops and a roasted scent.

Taste: This porter is smooth, rich, perfectly balanced, and thoroughly enjoyable from first sip right up to aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: You drink this and know you're drinking a porter. Not only that, you know you're drinking a near perfect example of the style. It coats your mouth with its flavor. I know there's a million dirty jokes you can make there, go ahead, I don't care.

Drinkability: I love this porter too much. If I could drink a case of it, I would. Then I'd be fat and have a failing liver, and wouldn't care. It's that effing good. I've had it in bottle form, too and it's still fantastic. But on nitro tap... My God, it's full of stars!

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%

I'll try to sound a little less excited from my review of this beer on tap. I was incredibly surprised how much I liked this beer on tap, and I liked it just as much in the bottle, perhaps maybe even a little bit more. I picked up the last available bottle at Granite Liquors in Weymouth MA a few months ago and saved it. I had a friend over this evening and we split it (yes he was worthy and a very good friend, our wives cracked open a bottle of wine, so we drank this one). Poured it into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass and this beer produces a nice tan colored creamy looking thick head with very generous lacing. The beer is very dark and close to black in color with brown highlights to it. Much like my on tap review, the hops are the first thing you notice on the smell. I didn't refrigerate this beer for very long (intentionally) so I could pick up a little more on the taste and I'm glad I did. The malts are a little easier to detect in the aroma now that it's not quite as cold. You can again pick up the chocolate and coffee hints, as well as the overall roasted caramelized malts, smells great! This is what beer is supposed to smell like! The taste is exactly on par with the smell, just in opposite order. It starts with the caramelized malts with coffee and chocolate hints, slightly smokey. Then it continues on to the great hoppy flavor (I think pine) and finishes with smokiness again. The mouthfeel is very good, very nice, full bodied and smooth. Again this is an incredibly drinkable beer. Truly a favorite porter of mine.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours an opaque black with a thick mocha-colored head that retains well and creates sheets of lacing.

Aromas of chocolate covered cherries, light citrus and espresso.
The taste follows the nose with a roasted malt backbone and well balanced hops. The ABV% is almost non-detectable.

Mouthfeel is cream, full, slightly sticky. Nicely carbonated for the style with tiny bubble activity.

A well made Imperial Porter, an instant favorite of the Brewmaster series. Well balanced and smooth but complex enough to take your time to enjoy.

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

I have been on a porter kick recently, and this has been one of the best. Maybe not a typical porter, but a delicious beer. The smell was very hoppy. Appearance is dark. A slow pour provides a nice head with lacing that last till the end of the beer. Taste is chocolate and coffee with the hops kicking in at the back end. Will get this beer again.

Imperial Porter (Brewmaster Series) from Long Trail Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86% out of 100 with 378 ratings