Great Lakes Green Tea Ale | Great Lakes Brewery

Ontario, Canada
greatlakesbeer.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Availability: Spring

In our pursuit to bring you the most flavourful and unique beers possible, we are proud to release this tasty spring ale. Handcrafted with specialty malts and hops, we added carefully selected Organic Gunpowder Green Tea and fresh Ontario grown ginseng directly into the brew. Like green leaves sprouting, this beer boasts a refreshing and slightly herbal flavour that pairs well with lobster, pad thai, spring rolls or sesame chicken.

Added by Viggo on 03-04-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours an unfiltered hybrid between orange and gold, with a sticky bone white head that leaves lacing in sheets and lasts the distance. Creamy, malty aroma puts me in the mind of a steam beer, and this isn't dispelled when I get to tasting it. Great Lakes seem to use something very reminiscent of a steam beer as its base. Now I'm not implying this was the process used, but that this is the flavour achieved. Appended to this is a subtle spicy hit of ginseng in the finish, but no green tea. Its a bit of a head scratcher, and a pretty pedestrian one at that. My second pour of the bomber into my 330 ml glass reveals more interest though. No sediment can be observed, but the flavour suggest much of the green tea is resting in the bottom half of the bottle. Strong green tea permeates through the beer, providing a drying bitterness in the finish, and a leafy herbal freshness throughout. Its certainly more unique than I first thought and reminded me of the bottles of cold green tea I purchased in Japan. The mouthfeel is soft with gentle, but steady carbonation caressing the palate.

Its a very well done beer, but I'm not sure I like it. The steam base seems to jive well enough the tea, but by the end of the bomber I've had my fill. This is the problem I've had with green tea - its a drink for moderation, not for splitting over a pint and a bit of liquid. Still, I can't fault Great Lakes for putting this out.

3.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Deep golden colour, minimal white head, no lacing left behind. Smell is bready, malt, cereal, ginger, spice tea leaves and a caramel like sweetness. Taste is malty, biscuit like, tea and spice come through, hops come and go, lightly bitter in the finish. High carbonation, medium weight, touches of cream come and go. OK, not my cup of tea (pun intended) though I would not mind splitting a bomber 3 ways every summer like I did this year.

3.51/5  rDev +8%

Pours light hazy golden colour with a foamy white head that stays for a while and leaves lots of lacing.

Doesn't smell like much, definately ginseng, maybe some green tea, very hard to tell though.

Decent tasting beer, citrusy, herby, a bit of green tea, almost like iced tea, and definately ginseng, starts to taste like red bull or some energy drink after a while(which I don't mind).

This is a nice refreshing beer for a hot day, but it lacks complexity..

3.57/5  rDev +9.8%

650ml, green foil enclosed bottle. Props to tbeckett for the cross-country enabling...

This beer pours a cloudy medium golden amber colour, with one solid finger of tight foamy eggshell white head, which leaves some random swaths, specks, and clumps of lace around the glass as it dutifully recedes. It smells of bready, cracker-like malt, and warm grassy herbal tea. The taste is big on the green tea, which is weird, given the normally delicate nature of that beverage. It's more earthy than grassy, and the ginseng is very soft in its savoury leanings. Underlying all this is an adequate pale maltiness, that does a good job of supporting without getting in the way. The carbonation is just a little zingy, but nothing too distracting, the body medium-light, and generally smooth. It finishes off-dry, just, the malt able to continue its low-impact support of the lingering spiced green tea character.

It's sometimes strange when the realization hits that all beer flavours don't have to be big and brawny, and that, if done properly, subtly can be winsome as well. I would not have thought this particular adjunct a good idea, but lo, Great Lakes has proven my hypothetical self wrong. Easy drinking, almost 'green' tasting - a decent reproduction of that steeping cup of catechin-laden goodness.

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

Single bottle from the LCBO Summer release.

Poured into a conical pint glass. Light hazy golden, nice frothy head, good retention and lacing.

Nose is tea, cracker, rice, a bit of lemon.

Cracker, rice, lemon, a bit of green tea (though not oppressively so), and a basic pale lager taste to the finish. A slight fruit or berry makes an appearance towards the end of the pint. It doesn't taste a great deal like green tea, it's still pretty drinkable.

Light, good carbonation, creamy.

While I still await Great Lakes to finally hit the mark with a quality brew, I have to say this one was among their better brews. Although it doesn't taste that much like green tea, the end result is a fairly decent lager with a few hints of tea, which is not bad. So while the brew didn't really achieve what I thought it was going to do, it's not bad as it is.

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev +12%

Bomber picked up at the LCBO; no packaging date. Hopefully this manages to be a bit more inspiring than the somewhat similarly-themed Coors Light Iced T I reviewed a few days ago (although I haven't exactly been blown away by any GLB bomber-format brews).

Pours a bright golden yellow-orange colour, completely translucent, topped with almost two fingers of creamy, pillowy white head. Much better head retention that most of the other beers in this style I have tried; it lasts well over ten minutes before dissolving - I'm honestly pretty amazed. The aroma is agreeable but other than that, has little about it worth noting - the citrus zest is fairly prominent, along with some disappointingly subdued tea notes.

The aroma may be a bit weak, but the taste makes up for that - which is a relief, because at 4.2% I almost expected it to be a little, well, light. Pale, bready malts provide much of the body of the flavour, with a firm lemony citrus bite to back it up. The green tea provides a lovely light bitterness toward the end of the sip, and in the aftertaste. Light-bodied and (unfortunately) rather watery, with heavy, spritzy carbonation. Very drinkable stuff, due to a combination of the mild flavour, light dryness, and low abv.

I actually quite enjoy this beer. It's ridiculously quaffable, and a perfect summer patio pint. One thing I will complain about is the format - this doesn't really need to be in a bomber; tallboys would be fine, although perhaps significantly less elegant.

Final Grade: 3.64, a respectable B grade. I've had 4 or 5 of these GLB bombers now, and Green Tea Ale is definitely one of the better ones. That being said, I'm not exactly enamored with it - and due to the 4-5 dollar price, probably won't get it again any time soon. Something tells me a heavier version of this with more tea infusion might be much more interesting, but this brew remains a highly crisp, refreshing and enjoyable drink, if not an especially memorable or interesting one.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rerating after last year's diacetyl-laced samples.

Bottle: fresh from brewery.

Pours a light protein hazed light gold ale in the glass. A 2 finger frothy cap laces well.

Aroma is demure light fruity tones over sweet grains and grassiness...delicate pale ale aroma with green tea leafy aromas.

Light bodied, gritty mouth feel.

Dulcet biscuit malts mingle with pear and herbal hops up front, finish is clean, puckering tart with the green tea and hops joining forces. Very refreshing, dry, quenching clean tasting ale. Great for plus 30 weather.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

I like green tea, but I hate green tea iced tea & green tea ice cream... so I really didn't have high expectations here. Strangely, I was really pleasantly surprised!

A: Hazy, dirty straw with a white head, some retention, nice lacing.

S: Candied ginger, some fruity esters and hints of green tea.

T: Slightly herbal & spicy with a faint sweetness (fairly balanced bitterness). The green tea isn't overdone, and I'm not sure I'd pick it out without knowing, but it definitely stimulates the umami taste buds. Balanced & interesting.

M: Light to moderate body is smooth and it actually seems a little bigger than it is.

D: Quite drinkable.

I've wondered about getting an Umami taste into a beer, and this one has it! It'd certainly pair well with Thai or Japanese cuisine.

4.58/5  rDev +40.9%

A: The body is cloudy, of orange/straw colour. The off-white head is foamy and has nice retention. The lacing is quite impressive, too.

S: A sweet fruity, moderately hoppy aroma, with notes of pear, apple, ginger, and caramel malts.

T: A unique taste. Starts out sweet, with a lovely pear/apple fruitiness going into a more dry, hoppy green tea flavour. The finish is very balanced, with some lingering green tea notes. Overall, an exceptional complexity for such a light ale!

M: Medium-bodied, surprisingly full for a 4.2% beer.

D: Very easy-drinking and refreshing. The bomber bottle took no time to be drunk. A very impressive seasonal brew! Strongly recommended!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last