Grand Cru | Browning's Brewery

Grand CruGrand Cru

Browning's Brewery
Kentucky, United States

Style: American Strong Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

From the label:
"Browning's Brewery presents our first ever Limited Edition Bottle. Brewed with generous portions of Belgian candy sugar, this strong ale was fermented using an authentic Belgian yeast strain. We filled a brand new toasted oak barrel with plenty of blackberries, raspberries, and peaches. Then topped it off with our brew. Then, we waited and waited and waited... For over 2 years before bottling. You hold the results in your hand. Dark, malty, and incredibly complex. We proudly present: Browning's Brewery's Grand Cru."

Added by KYBrewgrass on 04-26-2011

Reviews by KYBrewgrass:
3.77/5  rDev 0%

Purchased one of a few bombers left in the cooler at Browning's Restaurant & Brewery at Slugger Field in Louisville. The label says this is the brewery's first limited edition bottle, and so I'm excited to try this one...

A- 3.5 Pours a non-transparent murky brown with a one finger khaki head on the pour. The color also has an amber tint around its edges that makes it look like muddy, rusty water. Its head dissipates rapidly, though there is bubbly carbonation rising at the surface. As it warms there is fairly uniform and smooth, slippery lacing. The head all but disappears after five minutes or so.

S- 4 The snifter glass lets Grand Cru hit the nose with a wallop of oak from being barrel-aged for two years. Though dominating a bit, the oak is calmed by a presence of candied dark fruit and a hint of booze. I'd find it hard to distinguish the variety of fruit inside (though the label tells me blackberries, raspberries, and peaches were used). There isn't much malt present.

T- 4 Although not my favorite combination of flavors, I appreciate the complexity that is in this brew. I get a significant tartness as it coats the palette up front. This milds slowly enough to allow me to detect the berries and peaches. These are paired with malt and the combination is fairly sweet. As I finish the drink I am left with an oakiness that I had almost forgotten about. It really fits well. Also, it is a little boozy, and leaves me pondering its ABV (not printed on the label).

M- 3 This is surprisingly watery and lacking in carbonation. It is light bodied and leaves me a little dry.

D- 3.5 This brew has a good, complex taste all-around but it would be tough to throw down more than a bomber because of its dominating tartness up front that doesn't want to go away. I do still detect quite a bit going on otherwise in its flavor, and it has a good scent taboot. Unfortunately this was a bit dry and light in body, and didn't have the most attractive look in the world... That said, I definitely applaud the effort here from one of my locals. It was crafted with much thought and took a long time to produce! I'm glad I picked this up. It'd be worth a shot if you enjoy strong ales or a creative, complex brew.

Grand Cru from Browning's Brewery