Kalik

View: Beers
Reviews: 137 | Ratings: 358 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
1009 from Massachusetts

2.18/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

When in the Bahamas, do as the Bahamians do -- and drinking an islander not named "corona" seemed like a good deal to me on vacation just a few weeks ago. Like a lot of things in life, it may look good but things can get a bit crazy once you actually commit: a lot of skunk from this guy and a bit harsh on the mouth, but not a bad overall taste. Not the worst, but definitely, DEFINITELY, not the best.

May 11, 2020
dcall384 from Indiana

1.15/5  rDev -56.6%

This beer had a sweetness about it I just didn't like. It was also kind of cloudy. Not sure why a AAL would be cloudy. I would take about any other AAL over this one.

Nov 08, 2019
OllieStalz from New York

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I had one on tap while on my honeymoon in the Bahamas. It was watery and inoffensive. It is typical to its style (an island AAL), so I wouldn't penalize it for that. However, even for the style, I wasn't too impressed with the taste and flavor. It is versatile and works with many meals. However, it isn't a good mouthfeel. The color is decent.

Sep 02, 2019
Nass from Florida

2.88/5  rDev +8.7%

There is no date on the bottle. Right off the bat I have to admit that I do like this better than the stronger Kalik Gold, it's smoother. I don't see why so many people are complaining about this beer it's not that bad. I taste a good amount of malts, slight corn with a little bit of bitterness on the finish. I don't detect any corn syrup which is a plus but the aftertaste is not very pleasant. There is not a whole lot going on in the taste it's sort of bland, I prefer Carib Lager. I can't believe this beer has won awards, was it up against Bud Light & Corona Light? Cheers! C

May 05, 2019
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.03/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This OK lager does its job. A beverage suitable for tropical weather. Washes down average food. Crisp.
But, it has crummy-to-poor ratings. Why ?
Could it be because Heineken owns Commonwealth Brewery ? Or is it that raters want flavor and alcohol for under $2 ?
So, I try to figure out the "Why" of the low ratings and go on Heineken's website. And I was surprised to see how much they are updating their image. (Last time I looked on their site, it was several years ago when they funded the huge Lagunitas factory and brewpub in Chicago's ghetto.)
Amazingly, Heineken is following many themes of local crafters: sustainability, local sourcing, giving back to the community, reducing CO2, and lots of other good stuff. What can be bad if a big company is actually trying to do good ?
Regardless of the answer, I am glad to add the Bahamas to my list of countries.

Jan 21, 2019
Amendm from Rhode Island

2.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12-oz. can BBD 07/18 needed a strong pour into a 16-oz. mug to get a fizzy very short-lived white head with no lacing.
Clear golden yellow with a few rising bubbles.
Smells of unattenuated yeast, corn and slightly sour malt.
Taste is the same as the smell with faint hops that are more pronunced as it warms.
Hidden carbonation gives the mouth feel a boost, slightly above thin.
Looks okay, the head comes back with a stern swish. Taste and smell are below average.

Jul 27, 2018
chitoryu12 from Florida

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Look: Amber gold with very little white head.

Smell: Ugh, skunked bad. The skunkiness of light exposure in the perfectly clear and colorless bottle has completely ruined the beer.

Taste: The skunk is a little less pronounced in the taste. Other than that, just a bit of metallic bitterness and adjunct malt.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated, like soda water.

Overall: Maybe a better container would improve this, but I have the feeling it would only be a typical adjunct lager. In these cheap clear bottles, the beer is ruined by the time it reaches your fridge.

Jul 17, 2018
TXGecko47 from South Carolina

1.35/5  rDev -49.1%

I had this on draught in Nassau. It was urine yellow with a quickly fading head of foam. Smelled like wet grass clippings. the taste was overly sweet with absolutely no hops. The mouth feel was very watery and thin. Over all not horrible but not great either. If you happen to be in Nassau, New Providence Island and want something to quence your thirst then ask for a Kalik. I'd reach for one over Bud and other crap from AB.

Jun 08, 2018
papposilenus from New Hampshire

2.77/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Drink as cold as possible. In fact, feel free to add ice as this will not in any way detract from the flavour and may even improve it. +0.25 for being the only beer in the complimentary hotel mini-fridge. Overall: not utterly vile.

Feb 27, 2018
StonedTrippin from Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

when you get down far enough south in florida, you start to find this one all over the place at every little beachside tiki around. its an extremely light offering, even in a style known for being extremely light, it barely even constitutes beer for me, with the grain profile so minimal here that its as much water or soda as it is beer, the lightest of yellow goldens and of perfect clarity. good soda fizz rising up to the next of the clear bottle each time i take a drag. its immediately a little metallic, but not all that bad, honestly the flavor isnt terrible, its just absent, if that makes sense. if had adjunct lagers taste far worse, but by being so minimal in every possible capacity here, this fails to really do much for me, and being a tad off of dry, it doesnt even quite quench my hard thirst as much as id like it to, especially after it warms up even a little bit. subtle lemon and lime here, yellow corn, and an irrelevant lager yeast that doesnt seem to have quite completed the task. its lightness and high carbonation set it apart, and it washes down some chilled shrimp pretty easily, but outside of an island vacation vibe, im not sure how much value this has, even amongst its peers...

Feb 26, 2018
jjamadorphd from Florida

1.26/5  rDev -52.5%

Why in the world did I pick up a 6er of this...Why?

This may quite possibly be the worst beer I have rated on this fine website. I picked this up being open minded and reminding myself I have found some gems I thought were turds along the way. Well, this ended up being a sad turd. The look was your classic piss-colored brew, though it did have a nice white head to start off with. The smell and taste were simply not good - no scent of hops or malt, just a skunky odor and taste that was miserable from start to finish. The feel was about the only thing notable as it had a spicy quality to it that was of surprise to me. Overall, I split the difference and I'm not wondering how in the heck I am ever gonna finish the other five I have.

May 15, 2017
ygtbsm94 from Utah

1.79/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Aroma grains, crackers, lemon, light spice, slight skunkiness, medium carbo. Taste bready malt, dough, sweet corn, faint citrus, metallic bitter finish, medium body. Just another barley water.

Feb 02, 2017
mdfb79 from New York

2.02/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Parents brought me back a can of this from the Bahamas.

Pours a clear bright piss yellow color with high carbonation evident and one inch of bright white head. Nose is corn and sweet fruits, grains, taste is much worse like cigarettes. Thin body and high carbonation.

A terrible beer; drink something else if you're in the Bahamas.

Sep 02, 2016
johnnnniee from New Hampshire

2.49/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle received in trade.
Brilliantly clear light golden color with a decent but short lived bubbly white head. Skunk in spades as soon as I pop the cap it envelopes the room. It slowly fades but it is constant in the aroma and flavor. Light crackery bready malt with some residual sweetness, carbonic bite, and faint hop presence. I guess I could say I've had worse and maybe these aren't always light struck. If I find myself in the Bahamas I will try again.

Aug 01, 2016
KACK1533 from Massachusetts

2.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Light straw color. Corn in the nose, with a hint of metal; somewhat astringent. Head disappeared about a minute after the pour, but there was one stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass, signalling low carbonation. Twas my first Bahamas beer.

Jan 09, 2016
ordybill from Georgia

2.54/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA., The beer is has a light golden color with a small white head. The aroma was really skunky and it followed through to the taste. This may have been a shipping issue but it was not a good beer for me. I will not try this again.

Aug 24, 2015
Northtexan from Texas

1.99/5  rDev -24.9%

Picked this up while in Nassau. Not much going for it. Not bad to drink under the hot Bahamian sun, but that's about it. Very pale yellow, faint smell and not much taste except for a bitterness in the finish. Hey, the can will look good in my collection!

Jun 14, 2015
TX-Badger from Texas

Pours a clear golden color with white head. Cereal grains and not much else on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes kind of dirty.

Apr 15, 2015
OregonGrown7 from Oregon

3.44/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this out here on Roatan. It's actually pretty interesting compared to the usual offerings that are available on the island. It has a light body with a surprising hoppy kick that makes it really refreshing on these hot days.

Mar 28, 2015
KTCamm from New Jersey

Pours very pale gold, almost no color. Some white foam. Corn like aroma. Light. Sweet bitter taste, creamy. Low carbonation. Residual sweetness. Better options on the islands.

Nov 22, 2014
nmann08 from Virginia

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From a bottle, pours a light golden color with a fizzy off-white head.

The nose is skunky, a little musty, corn and wheat. The flavor is what I would expect from a pale lager in that part of the world. Simple, a bit rough around the edges, just enough of a citrus flavor to make you wonder if it could be something more...Nope. Don't get me wrong, if I am sitting on a beach in the Bahamas, I may think this is good, clean, refreshing. But I don't think a setting can hide the flaws in this beer.

Nov 14, 2014
REVZEB from Illinois

2.35/5  rDev -11.3%

Very bright golden clear body with a thin white cap. Smells of cereal grains and corn, no hops in sight. Taste is pretty much the same, very light and macro, watery but not too offensive to the palate. Feel is watery, thin, and bright macro. Not good

Oct 06, 2014
ASirahSyrah from Texas

3.84/5  rDev +44.9%

Based on the tale of a young bartender who served me this beer while i was at port waiting for my fiance to get her hair braided in Nassau, this beer was named after the sound of cow bells jingling when a herd was rounded up - you can look up the history of Bahamian cowboys on your own if it's worth a glance. Regardless of the mediocre to awful reviews this beer has received, I would highly recommend it. I had this beer for the first time at a bar in Nassau in 100 degree weather and believe me...my thirst was quenched - nevermind having my beer thirst satiated - and I was enjoying my time waiting three hours for a hair braid. I wouldn't recommend it as a lounge drink on a cool day or as an extra in the fridge, but believe me, when it's hot this hits the spot (unintentional rhyme), and it's so far beyond bud light and coors light or any other "limited" beverage you may drink. Beer pong with Kalik...do it; different experience guaranteed. It's perfect for bbq's or afternoons outdoors with friends. Just...just...just drink it, Ok?!

Aug 01, 2014
SD-Alefan from South Dakota

3.19/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. can into a plastic cup.

A slightly hazy straw color with a little foam and not much head retention.
Smell is slightly bready, maybe a hint of yeast.
This tastes better to my palate than most American Lagers. A pleasant sweetness from the malt a bit of a hop bite. Nice.
Mouthfeel is typical lager.
Overall, I give it a bit of a bonus because I'm DRINKING IT IN THE BAHAMAS! It's actually the perfect beach beer. Easy drinking, smooth and tasty.

Mar 03, 2014
rangerred from Tennessee

3.92/5  rDev +47.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear darker gold with a thin, wispy white head. Really poor head retention and no lacing to speak of.

Bready aroma with some hints of flowers, hay, and grass. Somewhat reminiscent of a European lager.

More bread in the taste. There is just the lightest bit of toast in there along with grass and hay from the hops. Bitterness in on the light side and the finish is extremely dry and crisp. This has to be one of the most refreshing beers I have had.

Overall, what an awesome lighter lager! It is so crisp and has just enough flavor to keep it from being boring. A great beer to drink in hot weather and just blows away Red Stripe

Oct 18, 2013
Kalik from Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 358 ratings