Belle Vue Kriek | Brasserie Belle-Vue

ab-inbev.com

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-25-2002

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Aromas include cherry, semi-spice, and children's medicine. The flavors-- wow, quite easy for a Fruit Lambic. It's not overly tart nor sweet-- there is some mild acidity near the finish. Simple but nice! This beer drinks oh so easily, I think I'd like another! Now where to find one...

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The executive bar at a hotel I stayed at in Belgium had this in 25cl bottles. I tried a few for the novelty of it (the other beers they stocked included Duvel, Leffe, Stella, and other beers easily found back home).

Poured into incorrect glassware (Duvel) for the one and only time while I was in Belgium. Tasted like cherry champagne, kind of thin, tart, and dry. It wasn't quite as sweet as the Lindeman's I've had in the past. Maybe less syrup in this one...

Not my favorite style of beer at all, but easy to drink. This is a gateway beer to offer the women in your life. Unless the women in your life are like my wife, who has been known to complain of "watery consistency" in strong imperial stouts.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fairly dark red/pink with a fairly large pink-tinged head that is thick, slow to dissipate and leaves substantial lacing. Smell is less interesting, with some yeasty funk and a metallic note accompanying the sweetness that dominates the nose. Taste is slightly tart, but not as much as I'd hoped for, and is mostly just sweetness with a hint of cherry and a dry lambic-y finish. Mouthfeel is syrupy, quite thick and not very carbonated, and drinkability is pretty average. This is a bit too candy-sweet and not complex enough to be a really good lambic, but it's not bad.

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

375ml Corked green bottle, poured into a snifter. Nice looking presentation.

Very nice dark, nearly opaque, ruby colour. Pours with a substantial head, and leaves nice lacing when that dissipates. Nose isn't too offensive. The cherry odours are very evident, possibly a bit too sweet and cloying for my taste, and underneath the cherries is an unmistakable yeastiness.

Taste is very much of sour cherries and sweet malt. A bit puckering. Overall I find the taste a bit too sweet and candylike for me. I'm too much of a fan of hops I suppose. Mouthfeel is of sparkling wine or champagne, very fizzy. Dances on the tongue, think in the mouth and dry going down. I'd have a hard time doing more than one of these in a session, but again, this just may not be my style of beer.

3.82/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured to a ruby red fizzy head that reduced quickly with some lacing. Smells sweet, with a slight sourness of cherries, as it should. Taste is dry, almost like a champagne, not too sweet as to still resemble beer. Mouthfeel is fizzy, like a soda, and very mild. Overall this is very easy to drink and goes down with little effort. A decent example of this style.

375ml bottle, corked, poured into a kostrizer glass

Pours with a deep red, pinky body. Creamy pink head with pretty fair retention

Smell, some fromage frait, little bit of yeast on the nose. Mixed berry and fruit, some almondy cherriness

Taste, smooth creaminess, reminds me almost of yogurt. Slight cherry tartness, fruits of the forest

Overall a solid fruit beer, nothing world changing though. If you're looking for an intro to fruit beers try liefmans kriek, if you want something with a bit more rawness try cantillon

4.16/5  rDev +19.9%

A: Deep red, tall fluffy head, plenty of lacing.

S: Mmmm... cherry!

T: Very well balanced. Initially sweet, finishing with a slightly tart aftertaste.

M: Moderate body and carbonation.

D: Not your average beer, but as fruit lambics go, it's very drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev +5.5%

enjoyed on-tap at the belgian cafe in melbourne.

looks absolutely fantastic in a belle vue tulip. bright red with little carbonation. poured with a 2cm pink head. ha, its pink! leaves nice lacing down the glass, and the head retention was very good.

left to warm a bit, the aroma came around slowly. pronounced cherry aroma with slight hints of tartness. leaning more towards sweetness than anything else.

being a lambic, i was really looking forward to some sourness to see weather or not i would go for it. this version lacked a bit of sharpness, or it was just replaced with the sweetness from the cherries. the sweetness, while not cloying or unpleasent, made it difficult for anything else to be noticed.

for myself, its tough to call this beer. its just has very little of what i associate with the aromas and flavors of beer that i am used to. obviously by my scoring, thats not a bad thing. the glass i had went very quickly and easily. i was finding it tought to keep from gulping this down.

3.84/5  rDev +10.7%

Orangey-brown color with only subtle red tones. Minimal head. Lacing is beautiful but almost nonexistent. Here in Houston we can only get Lindeman's lambics, so for years I've been drinking the very fruity ones; this smells like Belgium to me. Sour cherry notes and not too much sweetness. Taste is tart and sweet and sour. The cherry is understated. I like this much better than the fruit bombs. Medium body, light mouthfeel. Finish lingers with sour, tart fruit. It has a good malt backbone, without punching you in the face with sweetened fruit juice. Ends just a little dry. Enjoyable.

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

Clear ruby colour with amber highlights topped by generous, pink foam. Decent head retention after it initially subsides and it left rings of lace on the glass. Tart, fruity aroma of cherries, with some sweetness and bit bit of earthiness. Sweet, almost syrupy flavour with plenty of cherries, but too little sourness to provide a nice balance. Overall, quite mild with a bit of tartness in the finish. Slightly viscous, syrupy texture. Fairly enjoyable fruit beer.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours dark cherry red, almost purple with a finger of pink head. Lots of lacing, head lasts in the tulip. Smell is tart cherry, wet grass smell(musty).

Taste is cherry, with some sourness to it, reminds me of pixie sticks. Like a fruit punch that has been spiked. Aftertaste is a sour/bitter cherry, overripe.

Mouthfeel is a little sticky, with good carbonation. Drinkability; not great due to the strong flavour. Good for ending the night, but wouldn't want another

3.52/5  rDev +1.4%

Delicate bubbles gather to the sides in place of head and carbonation. Very faint, thin lacing at best. A thin murkiness of maple in color with flashes of burgundy.

A bright and ripe smelling cherry tartness; a dark sweetness aside from the lambic's sour quality; like a cough drop. Whaffs of warming alcohol.

Sweet, mellow cherry and plum flavors that are quickly overtaken by a sharp and mouth puckering tartness. Hints of raisin and dates in the background. Little to no carbonation makes this one rather slick. Remaining tart aftertaste with a touch of light chocolate.

Light bodied; tart, refreshing, and slick on the palate.

A style I could never drink more than a few at once, and this one is no exception.

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Dark burgundy coloured, almost red wine red. Soft pink head, pretty big and laces nicely. Smell is sweet, cranberry, horse blanket. Taste is sweet right up front, fruity cherry sweetness glides to the back of the mouth. Dry, tart finish, very nice. Pretty full mouth, low carbonation, really coats the whole mouth. Goes down smooth, little bit cloying though because of the sugars. Nice though.

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Yeah, my 100th beer review! I must admit, when I had this beer for the first time at Le Roy D'Espagne on the Grande Place in Brussels I pretty much gulped it down. It was a hot day and the sweet taste and the pinkish almost cotton-candy like head of this beer were exactly what I needed at that moment. Before I left Brussels I vowed to buy a bottle to take home with me so I could review it properly. I purchased a 25cl bottle and tried to save it as long as I could. Here is my review:

Appeared a light opaque burgundy color atop which sat a frothy two finger head light and airy like cotton candy. Aromas of sweet cherry and wheat along with a light sourness. Tastes of sweet wine, cherries with a sour backbone and light malt. This beer was light in the mouth, not too sweet, not too dry either. For my money no other beer could quench my thirst better. However, I must admit it was much better on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +19.6%

Had this on tap at the belgian beer cafe in Melbourne.
I must admit that the first time I had this beer, it was from the bottle and I felt that it was a little lacking. Good but it was missing something to make it great.

However, on tap its great. Pours a dark ruby with a pink foam head. The awsome looking beer is backed up by the sweet and sour smell of cherries.

The taste is very nice. You first are hit with a cherry tartness which then mellows to a dry sweet fruitty finish.

Not overly carbonated so its easy to drink. Good beer.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Pinkish red, with retaining thin lace. Dry drink, drier than dry wines.Definate true cherry flavour. Strong carbonation tingles mouth and tongue. Satisfying and semi-sweet, but not for everyone. Chocolate would incredibly work with it. For the meal's end.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Came in a 42.5cl corked caged bottle with best before date of 06-16-2005
A really dark ruby red color with an average head given when poured into its traditional Belle Vue Kriek glass.
A strong woody like aroma given coupled by a very strong fruity smell of cherries. A dry sour feel was given as an aftertaste not nearly as sweet as I expected it to be. Definately the alcohol content of 5.2 percent is not evident at all in this.
I am not the biggest fan of lambric style beers but given the complexity and fruityness which makes this a great after dinner drink. Nonetheless recommended to those who enjoy rich red wines or fruity style beers.

3.72/5  rDev +7.2%

375ml bottle with cork and cage. Could hardly get a head on this one at all which marks down the appearance a little in this case. Very interesting hazy red garnet colour with a slight amber tint. Sour fruity cherry aroma with a little oak in the background. Taste starts with cherry laden fruitiness, then becomes sour with a slight tannin finish. Even though there was no head in my case, the carbonation felt about right and the feel was quite smooth. Looking forward to trying more lambics, I don't mind this style.

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a nice transparent red. The garnet colour is very pleasing...non-beer friends will be very surprised at the appearance of this one!
The aroma is surprisingly mild, with just light notes of sour cherries and a touch of sweetness.
The flavour is quite sweet for a lambic, with an undertone of sour cherry, fading into an almost stale-tasting dry finish. It wasn't unpleasant, but had a slightly stale flavour at the end. Not sure what it was, or whether it was an abnormal sample.
The aftertaste was very mild, with a slight dry sour bite.
Quite enjoyable, and certainly worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

Valentine’s day and something special for my 300th review from my better half. Poured into a thin tulip it shows a light brandy-sherry color. 3 finger pink tinted meringue head. Wonderful nose: fruity, medicinal, slightly musty with a wisp of treacle. Slick mouthfeel dominance of fruit but there is a subtle but constant undertone of horse blanket layered with spice, earth...finish is wet, sour, musty with fruit over tones. Wonderfully layered between sweet-sour-bitter-musty. Wonderful stuff. I like it so kill me.

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

375ml green bottle cork and cage 5.3% alc, served in proper labelled glasswear. Pours deep ruby color with bright white foamy head, leaving nice coating of lace down the glass. Sweet aroma of cherries. Some oakiness in smell and taste as well. Taste also filled with the cherries, ends with a sour finish. Overall quite good, but I am sure there are better examples of this style. At 4.99 a bottle, little pricey for an everyday drink.

3.79/5  rDev +9.2%

I think I would have given this a better scoring if I had it from a better bottle. My bottle was nearly flat. The taste was good however.

Short lived thin head no lace what head there was a slightly pinkish in color, dissipated immediately. Color was cloudy red mahogany .

I could smell the cherry flavor as well as a slight hoppy character and a hint of tartness.

Tastes sweet and sour with hints of saltiness. The sour cherry candy taste which is not overbearing. Very refreshing in fact.

Light on the tongue, not much carbonation.

I would drink this again.

I thought I should finally review this, as I drink it quite regularly. Belle Vue's kriek is attractive in the glass, with a dense bone-white head and ringed lacing. Unfortunately the head reduces itself quite quickly to a minimal covering. Dark dark ruby reds, black cherries, fleeting murky purple hues. The beer is not transparent in the least. I love a good sweet beer, and the sugary candied aroma of this kriek whets my appetite. Of course, deep oak notes are in the smell, too. The malt is there, hiding behind the massive sugar and oak. Next to no hop aroma, and indeed the aroma is uncomplex, yes, but sweet enough in a balanced way to make me rate it decently. Red licorice, candied apple, and a flowery nectar note. The taste is a well-balanced sweet sensation, for me. The sugar obviously predominates, with oak and just enough dryness to prevent it from being sleek with sugar. The front is all cherry sweet, in the middle the oak, and the end is more sugar, but with some iron, yeast and even grainy malt. Licorice, tomato acid, and transient hop dryness. The carbonation is medium, the body full. I can never drink more than two of these at one time, or the sugar becomes too much, even for me. Absolutely perfect with cake or simply as an after-dinner treat. Other than the stigma of being owned by Interbrew(and of seeing this in Belgium canned) this is a very good kriek by all rights.

3.66/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Whoa, what a looker of a beer. Pours a cherry red with a pink, huge, fluffy head that settles down but never goes away. Lace coats the glass like etched artwork on the goblet. Gorgeous. Smells of cherries, wheat, malt and sort of a sour, unique smell. I'm not sure of a hop presence. It's overpowered by sweet and sourness that my nose can't really tell. Taste is disapointing. I had too much hopes for this beer. Expecting something sourly puckering and barnyard like, I'm instead greeted with a light, cherry & malt sweetness with a somewhat sour aftertaste. Not bad, I guess. I like it, I just wanted more. Mouthfeel is odd. Sticky at certain points of the mouth, but otherwise pretty smooth. The tongue smacks after the drink is finished. It's actually pretty drinkable. Kind of refreshingly tart. I like this beer, but someday I hope to pick up a lambic that truly defines the style.

3.91/5  rDev +12.7%

After reading my new book of beer I could'nt help noticing this picture in it that would catch my eye everytime it was opened. This man pouring alcohol into cherries so for my next trip to belgium it was a must.

This beer comes with a cork and a safety wire stopper on it just like a champagne bottle, also suprisingly it opens, pours, bubbles and fizzes like champagne. Though the head on this one dies away rathe quickly it is no missed aspect for the taste and aroma. The aroma is a noticeable cherry one that doesn't turn you away but gets you thinking what a interesting beer this will be. With a off red almost brown color the head is a little lighter. First drink was a interesting one with slight cherry taste and just a hint of alcohol and it only got better the warmer it got. I will have to admit this is not a beer to drink alot of but more of a beer to have one every now and then or to catch your drinking buddies off gaurd. If you ever have the chance I recommend trying one.

Belle Vue Kriek from Brasserie Belle-Vue