Löwenbräu Original | Löwenbräu AG

loewenbraeu.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001

1.51/5  rDev -54.7%

I've read all of the other reviews on this beer and I don't understand how it's consistently receiving high or even average marks. This is probably one of the worst beers I've ever had. Maybe the one I had was skunked, but my friends who drank the rest of the case assured me it tasted normal.

It started out OK with a light crisp start and then it was all down hill from there. It had a very strong bitter/sour aftertaste that made it incredibly hard to finish. I always finish a beer no matter how bad it tastes, but I really struggled on this one.

If I ever come by it again I'll try it just in case the one I had was skunked. Until I do though, my advice is to stay away.

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Won't blow you away, but won't turn you off either. Plain Jane across the board - clear straw colour, pretty much headless, mild aroma and middle of the road taste profile - but competently made. This is one you can safely offer your non-beer informed friends, and it stands up fairly well once the cold is off it.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

Light head and lacing. Clear, golden body. The flavor is both very enjoyable and very complex; faintly sweet for one moment, then with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Fairly high carbonation, with a tingly mouthfeel. Not my favorite German lager, but still quite good overall.

2.98/5  rDev -10.5%

A light gold body with some light carbonation and minimal lacing. A faint grassy hop smell and slight husk. A dry, sharp hop bite on the tip of the tongue that leads to a lightly rough going over the tongue, leaving my mouth a little dried out. Not much in hop flavoring or malts to speak of in the taste. Not too bad, and not that good either.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Medium golden in color with a nice cloud top head and lively carbonation, good lace.

Aroma: Riich and malty with herbal hops and some subtle grassy notes mercifully free of any skunk.

Taste: Begins with a slight tingling of carbonation, followed by rich and slightly sour malt flavors and then a momentary fruit-like sweetness. Midway through the taste, bitter hops notes appear. These carry on to the somewhat dry finish and linger ghost-like at the back of the mouth.

Mouth feel: Quite good, smooth, soft, fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Really exemplary for the style. In short, very nice.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce green glass Euro-style longneck bottle with a pop-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Update: 2007-06-22: The label notes "Imported from Munich, Germany".

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a pint glass...A golden yellow with a nice white head that didn't last too long. Good carbonation.

Aroma is of grains and light malts. Not too much going on.

First sip is pretty good....very minimal hop character but it blends nice with the grains. Little bubbles bounce of your tongue as you let this brew sit in your mouth. Very light and is a good session beer. I'd buy this again.

3.32/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours a clear straw color, with about a quarter inch of fluffy white head.

S: Mostly a grainy scent and some crisp malt.

T: Mostly a sweet grainy taste and a bit hoppy.

M: Thin, smooth mouthfeel with some active carbonation.

D: Pretty easy to drink, although it's not really something I would drink regularly, I wouldn't mind having a few.

4.1/5  rDev +23.1%

This was one of my dad's favorites when I was a kid. I was reminded of that when my wife came home from the hospital (where she works) and told me about a German patient that she was treating. She told him I was a beer nut and he said that his favorite was "Lowenbrau" in a rough halted German accent. I toast this brew to my father and that elderly German man (who just passed away a few weeks ago).

Pours out into the pint glass a pale yellow color with a tremendous head...

Aroma is grainy and malty with a surprising hoppiness... Hmmm...

Damn, this is a good little lager here!!! Its clean and crisp with a sharp hoppy finish that complements the malt up front very well... Enjoyed several of these while eating some brats off of the grill and enjoyed the hell out of them...

4.23/5  rDev +27%

Appearance remenicent of golden fields of grain. Smell crisp malt clean with a hint of nobel hop. Taste sweet grainy maltiness with just enough hop to balance. Mouthfeel Mediem body mediem carbonation. Drinkability an everyday beer that combines a respectible amount of flavor with great drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev +9%

Served at 40 degrees. Label says that is was produced in Munich, Germany and imported. Best before date is January 2009.

A: Poured a clear pale yellow with about a finger of head into a pils glass. The head fades away fairly quickly into a thick film constantly replenished by a lively rush of bubbles.

S: Mostly grainy and herbal hops. Nothing spectacular in this department. Just a clean lager smell.

T: Clean, somewhat crisp initial malt domination with a hint of hops to balance it out shortly afterwards. Bit of a lingering sweet finish.

M: Pretty smooth feel with the lively carbonation tingling the tongue but in a good way. Feels refreshing.

D: Very easy to drink as with most beers in this style. I would have no problem having a few.

Overall, a fairly nice lager with a very decent price tag. Enjoyable in the summer, after a day of work and just before supper.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Poured a clear yellow color with very slight orange hues. This beer is highly carbonated and the pour produced a large head of white foam that quicly disapated into a a spotty film. Bubbly lacing clung to the glass throughout.

S - Slightly bitter malt aroma with a mild skunkiness.

T - Crisp and slightly bready up front followed by slightly bitter dry hop finish. Nothing new or exciting, but not bad. Typical European Helles/Plisner flavor.

MF&D - Crisp, light and refreshing. The combination of good carbonation and thin body make this an easy beer to session. Well worth the $5.99 I paid for the 6pk.

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Poured out a fizzy, clear, straw-yellow color with a small, short-lived, whtie head. No lacing.

S - It smelled fairly sweet. Grains and corn notes plus a slightly floral aroma.

T - It tasted sweet with a subtle bitter kick. Again, grain/corn tastes.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay import. Nice on a warm spring day.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

found this with the other recent german brews i also picked up in beijing

green bottle with "best by" of 10/08

clear, golden straw color, decent head soon fades to wisps and thin ring. lacing is sparse.

there is some skunk, but at least it's not overpowering. underneath, you can still get some toasted malts, grassy hop, and even an almost-fresh, yeasty note.

fortunately, the skunk fades even more for the taste, so you can definitely get to the sweet malt foundation. balanced hop flavor and bitterness comes in and continues into the semi-dry finish.

surprisingly smooth, lively carbonation.

if you can get this fresh, or somehow guarantee that it hasn't been left out in the light, go for it. out here in china, with the premium price you pay, it's usually not worth the gamble however.

3.63/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - 3.5
Poured two fingers of frothy white head that steadily reduced. Great clarity in the pale gold body with what looks like light carbonation.

Smell - 3.0
Pure, strong skunk upon opening and no use-by date means this beer may have been out of date. Skunky smell faded but never left, aroma is of mildly sweet pale malt and grains.

Taste - 3.5
Next to Aussie macro lagers, this is bloody good as it does not possess any stale or metallic flavours. Next to most German pale lagers I see this as being a bit below average. Smooth malt sweetness, toasty, savoury in the middle, low hop profile, finishes dry with an average aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Light, fine carbonation, a little less than I consider desirable, but coupled with the light weight in the mouth, this beer slips down ever so easily. Very quenching.

Drinkability - 4.5
Extremely sessionable, the 5.2%ABV is barely noticeable. One of the best summer lagers out there.

OVERALL - 3.55
Trying to account for this beer being quite possibly not at its best, this is still a fairly average German lager. Better than Becks, but falls short of anything German starting with a W. I'd gladly drink one if offered, but this is not memorable enough to go back to. Decent value at $3.60 a bottle.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Very bright yellow supports a finger and a half head.

S- Ever so slight hint of green bottle skunk but this is forgivable due the wonderful spicy hop aroma.

T- Sweet grainy malts battle it out for dominance with spicy hops throughout only to lose in the end.

M- Tangy carbonation, otherwise great.

D- Goes down just as effortlessly as BMC.

IMO this has a little more hop pressence than a typical helles. Even though it may lean a little more toward a german pils, its still an enjoyable refreshing brew.

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%

I poured a 12 ounce green capped bottle into a pint glass. My bottle was labeled ""Imported from Munich Germany" and asserted that it was "A product of Germany". Others who have reviewed identified it as a brew produced in Canada. I wonder if it is a split production run with some in NA and other in the fatherland.

A: It poured an odd green tinted yellow colored body with a minimal white hed that receded fast to a ring around the collar that supported a nominal almost non-existent lacing.

S: The aroma was dominated by a wet grass and musty smell with a hint of malts and hops. Not a particularly pleasing smell.

T: It tasted of grains and semi-sweet malts. There were subtle hop flavors that gave the brew some character. The brew was overall well balanced and refreshing.

M: The beer was light-bodied with a refreshing mouth feel and dry clean finish.

D: The overall profile was pleasing and refreshing. It was surprisingly, especially considering its uninspiring appearance and smell. Not a bad complement to a spicy pizza or Mexican dinner.

3.69/5  rDev +10.8%

Very solid lager. This is in my current 'rotation' of beers, and is admittedly one of my favorites. I could drink this all the time. The aroma is a bit skunky and oaky. The flavor is far from unusual, more perfection of what everyone else is doing than a differnt way of doing it. Goes down easy and leaves the drinker satisfied at the end. A wave of sorrow hits me when I finished the first bottle empty.

Alas I cannot find it near me anymore.

3.77/5  rDev +13.2%

It's been in my beer fridge for months now.. I know... traded to me by a buddy who went to Deutschland during summer of '07.

Poured into a Stella Artois gold-rimmed glass.

Appearance is golden (deeper colour than a macro lager), small white head goes to nothing. Small bubbles rise up regularly.

Aromas are light sweet malt and spice, citrus zest, yeast. Very clean. Nothing big here, this needs to warm up a bit.

Super biscuity on the palate, malt richness. Some fruitiness, green apples, pears. Very zesty and easy drinking. Gets a bit yeasty towards the end but overall decently balanced with some mild bitterness on the back of the tongue. Quick reasonably dry finish. Surprisingly big and creamy body.

Definitively a Helles, props to Lowenbrau for not succumbing to EPLness. Too bad they can't put it in a real bottle though... honestly.

1.44/5  rDev -56.8%

Wow, ok, maybe this was skunked, but it was horrible. Smelled pretty bad and tasted worse. I would rate this amongst the worst beers I have ever tried. My apologies for not having more to say, but I didn't finish this beer, just 2 swallows. I promise, I will try another one, in case this one was in fact skunked.

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The appearance is a light yellow with a short white head, that quickly dissipitates.

Lowenbrau smells mildly appealing, light with some notes of barley and straw.

The taste is clean and better than most other macro lagers available.

MF is refreshing, but the after taste is kind of skunky.

Drinks easy, good beer to have few of when playing hold `em with your friends.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz from the Coop picked up yesterday for about $1.15... poured into my New Belgium snifter.

No real lacing.. crystal clear straw colored beer... short lasting 1" head.

Clean pale malts are the aroma.. and little if nothing else.. very clean.. a little grainy with low pale malts and the hops are there, only if I concentrate.

Suprising body given my preconceptions.. very smooth pale malt flavor and just enough bitterness... drinkable for days.

Not alot of negatives to say about this brew.. I honestly like it a bunch.

I honestly think this is my first Löwenbrä ... A good friend of mine who grew up in the Midwest says this was her "high school" beer... and honestly.. it's better than my memories of brews in 9-12.

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a bottle, darker than normal yellow, white head, typical of macro-lagers.

Haven't had one of these since the early 1908's, when Miller owned them. Didn't know what to expect.

Aroma: Light citrus, and, yes, hops!

Taste: Light, detectable malt, and a hoppy finsh. Not a head bursting hop hit, but, yes, you can taste them in there. Finishes nice, clean, and refreshing.

This is a really decent session beer. I enjoyed this a bunch!

3.26/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small pint glass.

A--VERY clear. champagne like color and fizz.

S--somewhat fruity. A little yeasty.

T--clean. crisp. both of these come to mind almost immediately. light on malt and light on hop flavor. Yet together the beer has some nice taste to it.

M-light

D--I half expected this to suck. Actually, I was pleasantly suprised to taste that it didn't. I could see myself drinking this again despite the extensive must do list.

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I put my nose to the green bottle I didn't smell the skunk that I thought I might. So that was nice... Fresh batch. Appearance is moderate gold typical of the German lagers. Nice white head. Smells sweet-malty and kind of hoppy. As the aroma indicates, there's a nice rich malt flavor that provides some sweet flavor. And the hops provide a nice punch of bitterness. Nice consistancy. Not too thin or thick. Pretty drinkable but now I'm tasting a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. Decent Munich Lager. I'll bet it's better in a giant mug served by muscle-armed German broad at Oktoberfest.

3.65/5  rDev +9.6%

I've been living in Germany for 2 years now, and must admit I hadn't drunk any Lowenbrau until just the last 6 months.

In the States, I hadn't drunk Lowenbrau for over 5 years because it always seemed to be skunky. I visited the Lowenbrau Keller in Munich last summer, and had a Helles, and it was very tasty. So, I bought a few bottles at the local Getranke, and wow, it tastes very good.

So, since I've been drinking it for the past 6 months, thought I would write a review.

Pours a nice clear straw color from a 50 cl brown bottle (exp Nov08). White foamy head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing.

Smells malty, with a bit of hops and grass. Some of the typical sweetness one would expect in a Helles.

Tastes sweet up front, with just a hint of bitterness in the finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel is very good. A little creamy, with some body, but not too much. Some dry side effects with the hint of bitterness.

Not a bad beer in my opinion. Not the best Helles I've ever had, but I find it smooth and easy to drink.

Löwenbräu Original from Löwenbräu AG